blue_heart71

Wd740 Or Wd360 + Hitachi 7k250?

regardless of the price and capacity, and when coped with P4 2.8c, mb chipset intel 865p+ich5, 2x512 pc3200 (3-3-3-8), ati radeon 9800pro. to be used for ms office apps., OE and surfing, photoshop 7, and some games, os is winxp pro.

which setup will show more performance (1x wd740 OR 1x wd360 and hitachi 7k250-80gb ).

if wd360+h7k250 will show more perf., then do you recommend the page file and photoshop scratch disk to be in different partitions on the h7k250? in addition to the data? and the os + program files to be on the raptor?

i am looking for overal faster performance.

no raid suggestions please.

thank you

Difficult question - the WD740GD is significantly faster and quieter than the WD360GD, but is that better than the advantages of having two seperate drives to spread your accesses across?

I'd probably go for the WD740GD, but partition it into two - 20-30 GB for (OS, apps, games, pagefile, scratch) and the rest for data. That makes it easier to reinstall Windows, and if you run out of data space later, it's easier to transfer your data to a new drive* when you can afford one.

The pagefile (fixed size to prevent fragmentation) should go on the same partition as the most frequently accessed data, on each disk. I.e., your OS partition, and the main data partition on a hypothetical second drive. I'm not sure whether photoshop scratch likes being on a seperate partition or not.

*Which will, most likely, be faster, quieter and fewer $/GB than a 7K250 bought today.

Photoshop scratch disk should be placed if possible on another physical disk or at least on a different partition than the windows pagefile.

If possible, create a partition just for the scratch disk, and don't put anything else in there: PS's scratch HATES fragmentation.

http://www.adobe.com/support/techdocs/12dde.htm

------------------------------

I allocated also a partition for the OS pagefile, i never heard the recommendation to put it next to the frequently used data :blink:

I have 2 X 7K250 hard drives in raid 0 and they are about 10% faster than the new 74gb (4.5 ms) raptor. plus they are much quieter and cooler and double the storage of the 36gb raptor

they are not faster in actual use, they only have higher str.

Go for two drives. The Hitachi and 36 Raptor are a good combo. The single 74 Raptor would be faster in a single task, but two plus drives are always better when multi tasking. If you want to keep the price down buy two Samsung 160Gig Sata drives. They are fast and cheap. ($122ish) or if you really want bleeding edge get the 74Gig raptor and another drive. I can't stress how much the second drive helps.

I have 2 X 7K250 hard drives in raid 0 and they are about 10% faster than the new 74gb (4.5 ms) raptor. plus they are much quieter and cooler and double the storage of the 36gb raptor

Huh?

This is a head to head comparison:

Head2Head

The Hitachi wins 3 catagories. How is it faster?

ok guys, the raptor wd360 + hitachi 7k250 80gb is arriving tomorrow hopefully, i wished to go with wd740 + 7k250 but the price gap is very high and i do not need that much of storage.

i am planning to partition the drives and use it as follows:

wd360 15gb system

wd360 15gb program files

wd360 6 data (office files, OE files...etc)

7k250 2gb page file

7k250 2gb photoshop scratch disk

7k250 6gb data back-up from the raptor

7k250 the rest gb general storage (downloads, games, movis, mp3s....etc)

if you have any comments and/or suggestions for the partitions, i will be glad to hear from you

You should try also to place the Pagefile on the Raptor... and leave PS's Scratch as the first partition of the 250...

You should try also to place the Pagefile on the Raptor... and leave PS's Scratch as the first partition of the 250...

why?

i meant to place the page file on the 7k250 in order to free the raptor from any pagefiling task so it can load the system and/or program files smoothly and if needed write to the pagefile which is on the other drive since no program will be installed on the 7k250.

by the way, when using photoshop, is there going to be any usage for the windows pagefile by the PS? or only PS scratch disk will be used?

Why?

Here is what Scott Byer, one of the Photoshop Software Engineers said very recently about the optimal PS machine:

When thinking about putting together a Photoshop oriented machine, memory

bandwidth tops the list of what's important. Dual processors get you less

and less of a performance win as the processors can now easily saturate the

memory bus on most operations.

Disk speed is important, as is the number of disks. Having a RAID available

for Photoshop scratch helps, but the most important thing is to get

Photoshop's scratch and Windows' paging file on separate physical disks.

As for RAM, I think 3GB is about the sweet spot right now - Windows limits

what Photoshop can allocate to 2GB, and the extra gig leaves room for the OS

to do aggressive file caching and to keep other programs running as well.

And I do recommend XP, Pro or Home (I use Pro, mostly for the remote desktop

features).

-Scott

----------

Also: You do still need a Windows pagefile. Photoshop will not start if you don't have one.

I'd agree with page file on the system disk (windows) and PS Scratch on the other.

You load your programs once. And with sufficient RAM (512MB?) you will not hit your page file right away, i.e. paging while opening apps is unlikely for normal desktop use.

However, it can be easy to hit the page file *and* PS Scratch every time you perform a task on an image.

Therefore keeping the page file from using the Scratch disk is better performance over all.

Ideally you would have 3 or 4 disks.... :)

I plan on using this setup when my 7k250 arrives,

Dogeared

8^)

thanks sPECtre and DogEared for the explanation.

as suggsested, I will move the PS scratch disk to the raptor and will keep windows page file on the 7k250, therefore the final partitions setup will be:

wd360 14gb system

wd360 14gb program files

wd360 2 gb photoshop scratch disk

wd360 6 gb data (office files, OE files...etc)

7k250 2gb page file

7k250 6gb data back-up from the raptor

7k250 the rest gb general storage (downloads, games, movis, mp3s....etc)

If there is any suggestions or recommendations then please feel free to add.

14gigs for system and 14 for program files seems HUGE for me... and only 2gigs for PS scratch seems too small...bring system and Program files to 10gig each (it is still huge for me, but...) and give 10 gigs to Photoshop... unless you work on tiny files, and do few global changes on them...

Blue Heart, change your ps swap to the deskstar and the windows swap to the raptor, by having the windows swap on your main drive it allows the windows diag tools to work incase you ever encounter system errors.

Also i would create a seperate partition for temp folder usage, transfer your envirnoment settings for your profile and windows to your temp partition to avoid fragmentation on your main drives. not to mention change your temp internet cache folder their too.

need any other help, feel free to ask.

Partitioning hurts performance. Your disk will waste half its time seeking between partitions. Minimise it.

OS and Apps should be on the same partition - performance will be better, and there's no benefit to seperating them (within the same disk) - you can't format/reinstall your OS without reinstalling your apps.

If the OS pagefile goes on the Raptor, stick it in the same partition as your OS, and fix its size to prevent fragmentation. I suspect it's better if you put PS scratch on the Raptor, with OS swap on the 7K250. PS scratch will want its own partition to allow it to expand/contract without becoming fragmented.

So, my suggestion (accomodating others' suggestions as well) is:

Raptor

20GB (OS, programs, games)

10GB (Photoshop scratch)

6GB (Small, essential data - docs, emails, etc.)

7K250

70GB (OS pagefile*, general large data, including Photoshop files)

10GB (Backups of small data - a bit of extra space in case you want to keep multiple copies of some stuff).

Create the partitions in the order listed for best performance.

*Create a pagefile here before putting any other data on the drive, to ensure it's placed at the beginning of the disk.

ok guys, first let me thank everyone who replied to my post and helped to configure my hard drive(s), now let me give some impression about my system performance after installing the wd360 (i did not get the 7k250, should get it soon, therefore the system is running with the wd360 only (and it is the old veriosn))

the computer is dell 4600i (intel 865p chipset, infenion pc3200 2x512 3-3-3, ati radeon 9800 pro, maxtor 80gb 2mb which replaced by the wd360 .... other stuff) and nothing overclocked, please note that the decission of buying Dell was not mine and i could do nothing about it.

the drive partitioned to 12gb system, 12gb program files, 2gb win page file, 10gb download and data (the download from last partition will be moved to the 7k250 and will be used for data only)

before talking about the pefromance please note that i have not used any sata drive before, so what i am mentioning here is based on my experience on seagate ata 7200.7 40gb 2mb on soltek nforce2 2500+ barton 2x512 dual channel and the maxtor i used which was on the same current machine

installation speed:

the installation of the winxp is fast and it is noticable and the installation of the xpsp1 is fast and noticable, IMO every installation on this drive will be noticably faster than any other drive (except for wd740)

copying and moving files:

doing the above stuff on the same drive is faster than other drives

application loading:

here was my disappointment, the speed i noticed in installation did not match the speed in loading the applications i.e. if there is increase in insallation speed of 20-25% comparing to other drives, the speed of application loading is close and specially to the seagate 7200.7 i used to have on 2500+ barton (but faster than the maxtor), i do not know why, maybe application loading on AMD machines (barton+tbred+amd64) is faster than Intel machines? maybe Dell machine is slow since it runs at slowest system configuration? by the way the memory benchmark using sisoft 2004 standard is 43xx while it should not be less than 48xx with any similar machine you build it yourself.

another point i notcied, it is usual when you open your program for the first time it will be slower than the second time, the loading for the second time on the 7200.7 is faster than the wd360

the hdtach 2.7 gave me (10.5 access time, 50mb average transfer rate, 100mb str), and by the way i am running NAV 2003 and this result is when disabling NAV, when enabled only the access time changed to 13.5, but i have to re-test it again to see whether this number is correct or not.

in general, i am not happy, so do you have any idea about what making the drive not fast in loading the applications? is there any suggestions to improve it?

thank you in advance

Performance will be quicker if you put programs on the same partition as your OS. Otherwise the drive will keep having to make long seeks between programs and OS bits during use.

I'd also put OS pagefile on the same partition as your OS, for similar reasons, at least until you can move it onto the 7K250.

Second loading will be quicker because some bits will still be cached in RAM.

I'd reply in more detail, but I don't have time right now.

Performance will be quicker if you put programs on the same partition as your OS. Otherwise the drive will keep having to make long seeks between programs and OS bits during use.

I'd also put OS pagefile on the same partition as your OS, for similar reasons, at least until you can move it onto the 7K250.

Second loading will be quicker because some bits will still be cached in RAM.

I'd reply in more detail, but I don't have time right now.

Correct. A page file on a separate partition on the same drive will decrease performance, drastically when the system has to swap a lot.

i will format the drive and install the OS+prog files+page file on the same partition, and later on when the 7k250 arrive i will move the pagefile there, and the scratch disk for the PS on the raptor.

will keep you updated

Cheap, big drive and 1-2 GB of memory will be faster than any harddrive in any raid combination, right?

You can get 2x 160 GB for the price of 74 GB raptor. But before you should think about fast HDD's you should have so much memory that HDD swap file isn't used in your normal usage.

Cheap, big drive and 1-2 GB of memory will be faster than any harddrive in any raid combination, right?

You can get 2x 160 GB for the price of 74 GB raptor. But before you should think about fast HDD's you should have so much memory that HDD swap file isn't used in your normal usage.

why i will buy 2x160 since i do not need the capacity?

wd360+7k250 80gb should be at the same price or maybe cheaper from 2x160 which wont serve me in any way, and the speed of the wd360 is better than any 160gb drive that is available now, also i am not looking for raid0 and i have 1gb memory.

therefore i beleive the combination of the wd360 and 7k250 is fair for me and i am trying to get the best perfromance out of them

Cool! This thread is going to be very useful for me since I'm about to install my new 120GB Seagate 7200.7 to compliment my 40GB Maxtor 740. I plan to do some Photoshop work as well.

BTW, it was mentioned that the 'temp files' should be placed on another partition as well. Should this be on a separate partition altogether, or with the Swap file partition. Also, what exactly are 'temp files'? And how do I go about moving them to another partition?