Prof.Wizard

The Real Difference Between Us & Eu!

this is why.  the diesel touareg is tens of thousands of dollars cheaper, gets better gas mileage, and is faster than the porsche cayenne / cayenne s.  TOOORRRRQQUUUEE!  533lb/ft.  only the cayenne turbo is faster (0.6 seconds in 0-60), but it also costs literally twice as much.

And the Subaru Forester Turbo XT will hit 0-60 in 5.3 seconds (according to Car and Driver's road test with manual tranny), and handle and corner way better. And possesses one of the best all-wheel-drive systems around. All while costing only $26k...

FS

I'll tell you what. I'll keep driving my 5.7L V8 pickup truck that guzzles petrol by the gallons, and you drive a Prius to make up for it :D

I really don't know if your "solution" is just reckless or plain stupid... :(

I see your car choices match those of your appetite for McDonald's...

I guess your pickup truck matches your US ass in the right, when my Prius will get the EU one in the left. That's karma, dear. ;)

On the other hand, it is rather oxymoron.

You buy all these SUV in the US and you live (in general) sedimentary overweight lifes... Money badly spent IMO. :rolleyes:

My ass is fine Prof, but thanks for asking. And the bench seat is perfect for positions that would make a Prius user a frequent visitor to a chiropractor.

My ass is fine Prof, but thanks for asking.

And the bench seat is perfect for positions that would make a Prius user a frequent visitor to a chiropractor.

Don't worry mate, Prius is just fine for me. Low taxes, low emissions, high sense of doing the right thing... a city wonder.

As for my narrow ass, don't worry, I don't sleep in my car! ;)

An example of a non-existent vehicle segment in Europe. Completely useless IMO except for a very few people/jobs.

I don't doubt the car. It's awesome, but does the public really need these? Or SUVs? Naaaaaaah.

My guess is we need more cars like Toyota Prius or Honda Insight in this century, both sides of the Atlantic. Cars that take you to your destination with efficiency and really low emissions.

I was surprised to see the link was for the F-150. Just as long as we're clear Trucks are not SUVs. Most SUVs are cars with more ground clearance.

Besides I thought Europe had tall people with families? ;) Is there really no market?

My family car is a F-150 Crew cab. Why? Because I can't fit me (6' 8"+) plus my family with their stuff in any smaller vehicle.

(*My* car is a NewBeetle convertible - it has the headroom with the top up and down. More headroom than my truck)

It's ironic that compact cars actually have more front seat room than other vehicles. Don't know why designers won't build a mid-sized vehicle like that.

Personally, I'm waiting to see a Smart Roadster. Rear-wheel drive *and* rear-engined. Just as God intended. :lol: Supposedly they won't make it into the U.S. until 2006. Reminds me of the Porche RS's of the '70's. A hard-cornering engine with four wheels.

I *was* excited about the new Mini until I saw it was front-wheel drive. *sigh*

I see a lot of those little hybrids outside of Chicago. Seem to work okay below 0F. Although they always slow waaaay down on the hills.

I owe my size to meat & potatoes,

Dogeared

esides I thought Europe had tall people with families?  Is there really no market?

the four of us (three guys all > 6ft) fit fine into the 3-series, thank you ;)

anyhow, I would love to buy a smart in the US, if it were possible. In all honesty, it is all that is needed. I have yet to see a highway, where I can go more than 80 (and that was in Arizona), and up here in NY and the NE area, the speed limit is 65 (the Smart does 130 - 140 km/h max, which is ~80mph)... with a smart, I'd have to try hard to get a speeding ticket. :)

plus the cost of running it would be so tiny, seeing how it literally uses no gas.

well next time I go home, I will just get one and put it in my suitcase :D

I was surprised to see the link was for the F-150.  Just as long as we're clear Trucks are not SUVs.  Most SUVs are cars with more ground clearance.

Don't worry, I know what a truck is... and it ain't selling in Europe. For my European eyes, the F-150 is a waste of money, gasoline, and space.

Most euro-cars can take two 2m guys with ease.

I drive what is considered a "medium family car" over here - a Vauxhall/Opel/Holden* Astra. For you yanks, think Ford Focus and you've got the Astra (except the Astra has luggage space unlike the Focus).

I'm 6'2" and anything smaller is a pain - the seats don't go back far enough. Over here, most people who don't have families drive smaller cars.

Then again, I can do a complete lap of this country in 5 hours. From one end to the other is under 3 hours (and only part of that is motorway).

Right now, unleaded 95RON (what everything uses here) is 76.9p per litre. Diesel is a bit more expensive at 78.9p per litre.

Unleaded - £2.90 for a US Gallon. Current exchange rates make that US$5.52 per US Gallon (taking a US Gallon to be 3.78 litres). How does that compare to US prices?

Now you know why almost everyone drives cars with engines less than 1.3 litres. 2 litre is considered big. Anything above 3 litre is excessive.

My car does 40mpg, and it costs me a fortune in fuel. My last car had a 1.1 litre engine, and did 55mpg.

Fuel here is taxed twice - fuel tax and then sales tax afterwards.

This page may be of interest:

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/in_depth/world/...isis/933648.stm

Oh, I forgot to mention - if you drive a company car, and the company pay for your fuel YOU GET TAXED AGAIN!  Yep, 3 times!

No I don't... I do pay a flat €125/month for the use of my company car (a Ford Mondeo Clipper TD) but that's it. Considering that I've had 4 accidents in the less than 2 years I've had it, that's not a bad deal (close to €11.000 damage total). Before I drove an Opel Astra, which is a real nice car to drive for fun but lacks the leg space the Mondeo has - I really like the room Ford cars have in the front - a nice thing for longer trips.

I'm 1m85 and an Astra/Focus/Bora is good enough for me. My seat lies rather flat though.

yeah, but i already got my gf to get a forrester 6 months ago :P

Here in Juneau, Alaska, Forresters are as common as bellybuttons -- but for good reason, given the amount of snow we receive and the general iciness of the roads during winter since the temp. usually hangs around freezing a lot. In general, they are great cars for northern climes.

The next most common vehicles are Jeep Cherokees, other 4-wheel drive vehicles, and half-tons. And the latter do generally get used for the purpose for which they were intended. Gas here averages about $1.82 US.

My own vehicle is a Jeep Wrangler Sport (4 liter engine) w/ two inch lifts, and it does get used for the purposes for which it was designed. But if I were back down south in a big city, I would likely drive a VW Jetta instead -- great mileage, huge truck, and handles quite nicely (don't know why they didn't catch on as well in EU as in NA).

Anyway, my attitude is that it is silly to own a vehicle that isn't suited to the locale in which it is driven, or for its general utility. For instance, I like halftons, but since I rarely haul anything around they aren't up much use (to me). Yea, I too laugh to myself when I see people not using them for fear it would scratch the truck bed; what's even more questionable are those who lower their vehicles to barely 1-2 inches (or less) body clearance.

well i'm glad to here the scoobs are more popular in your neck of the woods. they're really fantastic cars from soup to nuts. performance, reliability, safety, you name it. DAMN shame that they don't have a top-shelf offshoot brand :( the sti can go toe-to-toe with an m3 and the new s4 in everything but luxury.

did you say jetta because i have one? iirc e_dawg does too. mine's an 03 gli vr6 (the last of the good glis it seems now that they've redesigned them and lowered the price). only ~5500 miles on it, 1 year old, and i'm already itching to pick up another car :( i spend a less-than-healthy amount of time looking at subaru impreza wrx stis and wishing they had a premium interior and/or fending off the urge to pick up an 04 audi s4. REALLY dumb habit i seem to have developed.

i think i could keep an s4 for at least 2 years though ;)

I have a 1997 Dromedary named Abu. Seats two. Very economical.

What about the emissions Mustafa! Pretty bloody toxic!

Right now, unleaded 95RON (what everything uses here) is 76.9p per litre.  Diesel is a bit more expensive at 78.9p per litre. 

Unleaded - £2.90 for a US Gallon.  Current exchange rates make that US$5.52 per US Gallon (taking a US Gallon to be 3.78 litres).  How does that compare to US prices?

Average price nationwide per US gallon is around $1.62 I believe. Keep in mind that's for 87 octane. You pay more for 89 and more again for 92+.

So it's now really personal choice that guides vehicle purchases in Europe. It's the insane taxing of petrol that chooses for you.

did you say jetta because i have one?  iirc e_dawg does too.  mine's an 03 gli vr6 ...

No, didn't know that you owned one :P

I owned a 1990 Jetta -- actually, it was my ex-wife's -- and it hooked me for the reasons mentioned. I would have got one when I moved to AK, but it really isn't appropriate to the area for two reasons:

1. Last winter, the Jetta got stuck in 3 inches of dry snow in a parking lot. The tires were relatively new all-seasons.

2. This Jetta is fine on a flat road or moderately hilly country; but didn't have the jam to handle mountainous terrain very well. It's 1.8 liter engine was the problem in this instance; my understanding is that the 2 liter Turbo is a much better engine.