Sign in to follow this  
ntjones

Help With Raid5/sata

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a little advice and help with a question:

I have a P933 that I would like to turn into a Server for personal storage. I would like it to have 4 250GB WD SATA drives in a RAID5 array, giving me about ~750 gigs or so of storage.

Question: Most of the new SATA cards like the offerings from Adaptec (2410,2810) and from 3Ware (8506-4LP) say you need a 64bit PCI slot. The MB in my P933 is an ASUS CUSL2. Are the PCI slots in that 64 bit? Or must I get a "server" mb?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on a card at this time? I am mostly thinking about 4port cards, because 750 GB will probably last me quite some time, but I am considering the 8port ones like the 2810 just to think about the future.

Thanks in advance!

Nate

I cannot say *exactly* whether the cards will work. So contact Adaptec to make sure.

Having said that:

I have not run into a 64-bit card that did not work in a 32-bit slot. I thought the 64-bit spec was designed such that 64-bit cards would run in 32-bit slots.

I have a couple 64-bit cards in 32-bit slots (e.g. Adaptec 39160) but those cards are listed as 32-bit compatible. THe cards you listed are not.

The cards you mentioned *are* universal 64-bit cards (number and placement of the notches), so I think it would work.

Of course, you will not get the full benefit of this drive setup with a 32-bit PCI bus.

Send an email to the Manfacturers tech support to be safe

Oh.. and your MB has 32-bit slots.

Dogeared

8^)

Hi everyone,

Just looking for a little advice and help with a question:

I have a P933 that I would like to turn into a Server for personal storage. I would like it to have 4 250GB WD SATA drives in a RAID5 array, giving me about ~750 gigs or so of storage.

Question: Most of the new SATA cards like the offerings from Adaptec (2410,2810) and from 3Ware (8506-4LP) say you need a 64bit PCI slot. The MB in my P933 is an ASUS CUSL2. Are the PCI slots in that 64 bit? Or must I get a "server" mb?

Also, does anyone have any recommendations on a card at this time? I am mostly thinking about 4port cards, because 750 GB will probably last me quite some time, but I am considering the 8port ones like the 2810 just to think about the future.

Thanks in advance!

Nate

I have multiple machines with the 7500-4 and 7506-4 installed, which are 64 bit cards. They work just fine in a 32 bit slot, just make sure the part that hangs over doesn't interfere with anything on the motherboard(capacitors, battery, etc)