geofftech

Excessive Storage.

I searched for limits on Windows OS with regard to this comment but couldn't find any informative hits, could you elaborate?

I have 1.5TB on my Desktop, but I plan to move this more to a 'server mode' once I get some RAM, PSU ,and case for a spare mobo I have. I am planning to add annother few drives to take the server to 2.1TB. The previous comment of course now concerns me  :unsure:

The 2TB limit in Win 2K/XP is in the disk class driver. That means an external Firewire/SCSI RAID disk is limited to 2TB. The limit is gone in Win 2K3.

However volume sets are not limited, so use software RAID 0 to create larger NTFS volumes.

I would say for the average user who doesn't download music or use their machine for video editing anything much over about 80 GB is excessive, and quite a few users can be quite comfortable with 40 GB or less for years. It took me 3 years to fill a 40 GB drive, and only then because of MS Train Simulator. If not for that, the drive would be less than half full. It's still nice to have overflow capacity. For example, my main machine has 220 GB, but then I use one of my drives solely for the purpose of backing up the others. Off-line backups to CD-RWs are still done as I would never depend solely on HD-based backup, but less frequently.

This is not excessive in my book! Its just what it takes for movie jukebox!

Total GB in house 1556+320+216=2092GB Plus a few gig in the laptops

Server (36+40+200+160+160+160+160+160+160+160+160=1.556TeraByte)

A7N8x deluxe ver2.0 bios1005

2500+ @ 3200+ (200x11 1.65V)

Corsair TwinXMS 3200 1Gig (2x512) 2,3,3,9 2.7v

Promise Fastrak Raid0 w/4XWD1600JB

Siig Sata w/Raptor (onboard Sata will not boot with Fastrak)

WD2000JB DRIVE 0 MASTER

WD1600JB DRIVE 0 SLAVE

Removable HD WD400BB DRIVE 1 MASTER (mirrors raptor boot)

Liteon 48x24x48x16 CD-RW/DVD DRIVE 1 SLAVE

Nvidia 5200

Intel GigaNic 1000MT desktop

D-link 3port Firewire card for 3X160gig drives (ran out of space in case)

Antec True Power 430watt

Gamebox X 2 (160Gig+160Gig=320)

GA-7N400 Pro2 F5

2500+ @ 3200+ (200x11 Default Vcore)

HyperX PC3500 1024Gig (2x512) CL2,2,2,6 2.5V

MSI GF4 4200 64Meg (266/533)

SB Audigy

Samsung 160Gig Satas

Liteon Combo 48x24x48X16 DRIVE 1 Master

Antec 400watt

Movie encoding box (36+60+60+60=216Gig)

GA-VT400 7vaxp

2500+ @ 2800+ (166x12.5 Default Vcore)

Corsair PC3200 (2x256) CL2,3,3 2.5V

MSI GF4mx460 64Meg (300/600)

36Gig Raptor

Raid 0 2+60Gig IBM 60GXP

Removable 60Gig Seagate

Liteon DVD+R 4x

Antec 300watt

many OSes (every MS OS I've worked on) stick stuff out in the boonies from time to time. Even going so far as marking files as belonging in the middle of a drive and putting them there during a defrag.

I've never noticed this personally, but I have to admit that I would not be surprised to see it.

MY XP boot partition (25 GB NTFS on a 40 GB drive, 7.5 GB used) had some data stuck halfway through the drive (just below 14GB) that XP defrag wouldn't shift, which prevented me from shrinking the drive to make room for more backups on the other partition. I ended up having to image the NTFS partition, back up the backup partition, flatten and repartition the drive, then put the NTFS image back onto an 8GB partition, to get round it.

Ironically, there isn't enough space on the server to backup all the CD and hard disk images I use, so I have to keep a backup on my workstation instead. The server is being replaced in 8 months, so they don't want to increase the storage.

As for what's excessive, if put on the spot I'd say anything over double what's already being used. It depends how fast your drives are filling up, and whether you're holding back on storing stuff because you don't have space for it all,

Because of the significant improvements offered by each generation of hard drives and the rapid changes in price/performance and price/GB I've felt for the last couple years that there is no point buying storage space now, for the future.

Buy it when you need it and treat yourself to a drive that is likely significantly cheaper for the capacity and likely much faster. Don't stockpile saying "well I'll fill up 1 Terabyte over the next year or so," because in 8 months you'll be able to do significantly more with the money you were going to spend then.

So I think that the pace of the industry means that buying without immediate need is the most excessive act in the storage department.

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

Because of the significant improvements offered by each generation of hard drives and the rapid changes in price/performance and price/GB I've felt for the last couple years that there is no point buying storage space now, for the future.

Buy it when you need it and treat yourself to a drive that is likely significantly cheaper for the capacity and likely much faster.  Don't stockpile saying "well I'll fill up 1 Terabyte over the next year or so," because in 8 months you'll be able to do significantly more with the money you were going to spend then.

Whether or not you should buy enough today for tomorrow really depends on how much time you have vs how much money you have. The issue is further complicated if you wish to construct a raid array for performance or security. If you make an array of drives with 'adequate' space now, in 6 months when you only need 'just that little bit more' you can find yourself having to replace all the drives in the array. On a single drive basis, yes, you're better off buying the best value drive now and upgrading later. But then you may have just enough space, and it's spread out over 10 drives, and you really need to consolidate, to save the time you spend searching and shuffling all your data.

Yes, Gilbo:

that is precisely why it wouldn't be wise to digitalize my VHS tapes now.

It is better to wait a couple of years, and then, transfer to digital, at half the cost.

You could digitize your VHS tapes now. just burn them to a DVD. Thats how my dad has been doing it. 'Cause over time the tapes will degrade so its better to do it sooner than later.

Storage can never be "excessive."

I have around 2.4TB of RAID storage: 95GB RAID1, and three raid5 arrays of 447GB, 745GB and 1.02TB.

I would like to note that in the above four, I have a total of ~40GB of free space.

Defrag software just kind of chokes on my drives!

(the 95GB drive itself has a file on it that is fragmented into 38,000 fragments!!!)

:blink::blink::blink::blink:

I have around 2.4TB of RAID storage: 95GB RAID1, and three raid5 arrays of 447GB, 745GB and 1.02TB.

Have you got a backup on that?

/casa