Defiler

Layer 2 Gigabit Switch

I'm shopping for a 10 to 12-port layer 2 gigabit switch (meaning that all the ports support 1000mbps.. copper, not fiber) with VLAN support.

Various vendors make things that fall into this category, such as the 3Com Superstack 3 3812, and the Netgear GSM712.

Does anyone have experience with these, or similar products? It's relatively hard to find switches with "so few" ports. They seem to be going for around $1150. Is there a better deal out there?

I'm trying to solve two problems at once: I need more ports, and I need VLANs to enable jumbo frames.

Thanks for your input.

I think the Netgear is limited to standard 802.3 packet sizes - usually "jumbo packets" refers to those switches that for various specific reasons can utilize out-of-spec packets. For an inexpensive managed switch that does permit jumbo packet sizes you could try the Linksys EtherFast 1704 or the Asanté FriendlyNET GX5-1300. The Netgear will pass packets at wire speed, though.

If you need VLANs it means managed, and managed usually means expensive. Are you sure you can't just isolate the jumbo frame capable devices on a separate switch (since a layer two switch won't do the necessary routing between jumbo and non-jumbo devices anyway)? If you can, the SMC 8508 v.2 might be a steal at about $160. It does jumbo frames, but is only 8 ports and unmanaged.

I just picked up one of these for $1200 new on E-Bay. Any comments on it? It's 24-port, and not much more than the price you were looking at.

If you need VLANs it means managed, and managed usually means expensive. Are you sure you can't just isolate the jumbo frame capable devices on a separate switch (since a layer two switch won't do the necessary routing between jumbo and non-jumbo devices anyway)? If you can, the SMC 8508 v.2 might be a steal at about $160. It does jumbo frames, but is only 8 ports and unmanaged.

A layer 2 switch with VLAN support and Jumbo Frames will indeed handle the transition between jumbo and non-jumbo devices. That's the whole goal here. Heh.

I want to avoid putting another bridge on my network, if possible.

It's my understanding that having a separate switch won't help me.. because broadcast traffic would still be sent "jumbo-sized" to non-jumbo nodes. I need everything to be on one subnet.

Also, re: Linksys 1704.. Looks cool, but regrettably I need at least 8 ports.

Also, re: Linksys 1704.. Looks cool, but regrettably I need at least 8 ports.

Well then I can't really recommend Asante - it has been years since I've used their gear, and when I last did we always started losing ports w/in about a year or so. Nothing like having a 16 port switch with tape over a few ports...