supercaffeinated

Aa Pilot Promotes Christianity On Flight

http://www.cnn.com/2004/TRAVEL/02/08/airli...nity/index.html

My response would have been to ask the pilot:

If Jesus showed his humility by washing the feet of the apostles, couldn't he have just gone one step further and blown them?

Then I probably would have found myself on a bus from LA to NY :)

First I'd moon the pilot and then I'd unbalance the aircraft by sending all the instan missionaries to the cockpit to explain the idiot about religion.

I might also say something about being converted to islam, wearing funny shoes and staying away from me - although that would possibly get me in jail in the US.

First I'd moon the pilot and then I'd unbalance the aircraft by sending all the instan missionaries to the cockpit to explain the idiot about religion.

As long as you do not sent any Muslims into the cockpit.....

Big deal.

it is, actually. he explained that he had been doing missionary work, and asked people to raise their hands if they were christian, and that if they didn't they were crazy. apparently a lot of people became worried that something bad was about to go down.

while some of us might be able to laugh it off, the PUBLIC has to be considered. this could rightfully offend non-christians, and as evidenced scare some people.

Besides, passenger's religions or non-religions are no business of the pilots, and airline flights are not an appropriate place to peddle your wares, especially the pilot, who is in a position of power and authority in some ways.

Big deal.

it is, actually. he explained that he had been doing missionary work, and asked people to raise their hands if they were christian, and that if they didn't they were crazy. apparently a lot of people became worried that something bad was about to go down.

while some of us might be able to laugh it off, the PUBLIC has to be considered. this could rightfully offend non-christians, and as evidenced scare some people.

Yes, thats true... Passangers may have worried for thier safety when the pilot asks for a moment of prayer... That thought hadnt occured to me.

Too bad I wasn't on the plane, I coulda scored some free tickets....his behavior was clearly our of line.

Not that I mind, someone telling me "I'm very religious and follow xxx faith" is interpreted the exact same way as someone saying "I'm ignorant/gullible and feel like sharing".

I think I might have yelled "I was sexually abused by two Catholic priests, does THAT make me religious?" I could go into great "detail."

Not that I was, or have ever been a member of the Catholic faith, but WTF do they know???

Do you think I could have caused a scene? :P

FS

i hate it when i scan a book at borders, it looks great, and i pick it up only to find 'first thanks and glory go to god, through his son he gives us salvation and eternal life' in the foreword :( this happened to me with 'c# network programming' (which incidentally has the most deep and well-written tcp/ip overview i've ever read)

As long as you do not sent any Muslims into the cockpit.....

I was thinking, if the pilot had been flying one of the 911 flights, a monologue like that coming from him as a captive of the terrorists wouldn't have been too out of place. Especially once the doomed crew and passengers finally figured out what the terrorists were doing.

Which isn't to say it wasn't a bit of inapproriate behavior, but given the stress these guys work under nowadays, maybe they can use a bit of understanding, too. I mean, what other crushingly-responsible civil job comes with training for loaded-to-kill firearms which are now part of a zero-failure-tolerance flying workspace, and is associated with the certain knowledge that in an "event", one will be the first deader of an entire planeload if the perpetrators can't be stopped 100%?

Big deal.

Actually what he did should rightfully offend Christians as well.

(Just hoping you weren't implying a Christian couldn't offend a Christian...)

yeah, should have said that too.

Offended? No.

Embarrassed? Yes.

"All christians raise their hands..." Oh my!

I would expect American Airlines to fire him.

What if you are in a theater and the manager (usher) asks "Excuse me. Would everyone find the fire exit?"

I've been on flights were a flight attendant (mid-flight) would ask "Hey! How many of you are military or ex-military?" Do I identify myself? Or do I look around to see who has the gun/knife? (Guess which one I did .... LOL)

Besides anyone in the military knows you don't volunteer for *anything*.

Nice sentiment. Bad timing. Breach of protocol. Buh-bye.

Still wondering who thought putting guns in the cockpit was a good idea,

Dogeared