Sign in to follow this  
jpalmer

Seagate Savvio 2.5" Drives

Seagate is about to launch their SAVVIO 2.5" drives:

http://www.eweek.com/article2/0,4149,1493475,00.asp

Interesting points:-

* 36.7GB and 73.4GB capacities

* 2.5" wide, 1.5 cm high (70% smaller than their 3.5" drives)

* 40% less power than equivalent 3.5" drive

* MTBF: 1.4 million hours

* Serial SCSI (SAS), 2Gbit Fibre Channel or Ultra320 SCSI

Can't wait...

Drool.....

I wonder how fast (or slow) they are? These would be perfect for my dual cpu scsi luggable I've been dreaming up.

Yeah, I was checking those out as well. Those would be sweet for Raid 5 in a SFF PC, or even just for a kickass high-end laptop. Finally... I bet we'll start to see 1/2 U blades pretty soon....

The higher IOPS (input/output per second) rate of the smaller drive means that a 2U rack storage array using the new Savvio 2.5-inch drives will outperform a standard 3U rack by almost 140 percent, on an IOPS-per-U basis, while giving similar storage capacity, Shawn Hook, Seagate senior marketing manager, said Monday.

Translated: The IOPS are the same...but 3.5" drives are 140% larger....therefore the 2.5" drive is 140% better.

I think we need another measurement in our benchmarks.... IOPS/U -- ROFL!!!

So... less IOs per seconds is *better* if the storage medium in question is *smaller*

Hmmmmmm

Seriously, though, this is much needed technology in our high-density racks

Off to search for a vendor to preorder one....

Dogeared

8^)

So... less IOs per seconds is *better* if the storage medium in question is *smaller*

Hmmmmmm

oh, then the people over at THG wouldn't like it much ;)

Did you happen to notice that the date on the article was May 13, 2003? Has there been new information released on these or are you going on the 9 month old prediction in the article that these drives would be released at some nonspecific point in 2004 and assume they meant around now?

Sorry.... I was reading this article and found this read.

I will be interested to see the SCSI version. The SCA-2 connector is approximately as wide as the drive (1/16 inch on either side) The connector would cover more than half of the back of the unit.

No info on Seagate's site... I wanted a part number. ;)

Dogeared.

Olaf van der Spek,

Only the 15K drives use 2.5" Platters.

On the performance figures, the problem I see is that the performance increase is achieved by the increased number of spindles combined with striping. I'm sure the 140% increase was measured using a benchmark that produces highly random, very deep queue depths since they obviously want to show off their new babies. And, of course, desktop usage, as we all know, rarely generates queue depths that could possibly see any benefit from multiple spindles.

Also, I wonder if they actually intend to say outperform by 140% (i.e. 2.4x the competition's performance) and not 140% of the performance of the competitor (i.e. 40% faster). The latter seems much more likely to me, but I guess you can fit a lot of these into a little space...

If they're cool enough they'd represent a terrific option for adding capacity in a home media server though. I've always thought that this form factor was long over due outside of the laptop arena and I hope it becomes a common standard.

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

Olaf van der Spek,

No, it is a 10K drive according to the second link.

I'm pretty sure that you can fit 6 2.5" hard drives in a single 5 1/4" drive bay. I've seen racks that do such things, or something similar. The form factor is often more useful in current case designs since two fit side by side horizontally across a case. Those 3 1/2" drive racks waste space in cases that are 6" wide.

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

I found the press release a little odd.. You can already build/buy 1U rackmount systems with 6 3.5" hard disks in them.. yet the press release was claiming that this was a new concept. Hrm.