Sign in to follow this  
AcesHigh

Website That Reviews Crt Monitors?

Does anyone know of any good review websites that review CRT monitors? A site like StorageRewview but for displays instead of hard drives.

My ancient (at least 6 years old) NEC C900 is starting to act funny. The monitor color shifts on each boot. It has been a tank, but it is old and time to get something better. I am looking for something along the lines of a 19" or 21" Sony/Samsung/Viewsonic. I am also looking for any reccomendations on a non-shadowmask CRT that will primarilly be used for gaming. Thanks!

Heh... can't say I know of any CRT review sites (probably would have been helpful in the past :) ) though I do know that I haven't had any issues with Sony monitors, so long as you go for the G series. Only thing about Sony is that they've already started phasing out production of CRT monitors, so if there is an issue...

Viewsonic monitors have a really really bad reputation (a friend of mine had his practically lose all color), so I can't say I'd recommend them. Besides, a number of people on this forum and many other places seem to say lcd screens are really becoming good, and the prices aren't much different from a good CRT. I also can't say lifting 60-70 lbs of monitor isn't something I relish doing very often B)

just google for some specific monitors and you'll run into plenty of reviews. sony's basically out of the future crt business. imho the smart money is on nec/mitsubishi.

The NEC/Mitsubishi monitors do look very nice. However, I've seen plenty of Sony / Mitsubishi / IBM monitors at work and my Iiyama VM Pro 454 tops them all. I'm currently considering whether to get the 514 (22" version) since there have been some price cuts recently. However, reviews of this seem to indicate it may not be as good in comparison to other similar displays as the 454 is in it's category.

For a 19" non-shadowmask for gaming, you really can't go wrong with the 454. Only thing is the superbright technology is useless - far too bright!!

Thanks for the response guys. After wading through the manufacturers websites, I think I have focused my attention to the following Apperature Grill CRT monitors:

Philips 19" 109P40

Philips 21" 202P40

NEC 19" FE991SB

NEC 21" AS125F

Samsung 19" 957MB

Samsung 21" 1100DF

Viewsonic 19" P95FT

Viewsonic 21" P220F

Viewsonic 21" P225F

If you have any input about the monitors, or the manufacturers rma policies, I would love to hear it.

stick with nec/mits, they have the best reputation among the other monitor brands, i have seen many people recommending and using nec/mits over sony and viewsonic, personally i will buy one soon nec/mits

anyways, for 19" go with nec/mits (FE991SB) or (DP930SB) or (FP912SB) and for 22" nec/mits (2070SB) or (FE2111SB) or (FP2141SB) or (DP2070SB)

above are aperture grille monitors

have a look on this thread

and this one

this one as well

If you can afford $600-700 why not conisder an LCD?

I'm surprised at the negative views about Viewsonic. I have had a 21" Viewsonic (PF815) for 5 years now, and the picture is just as good. When I did have a small issue (the picture got out of sync, probably due to something I did with the video card changes ...) while still under warrently, they were very helpful and had a quick turnaround time (7 days including shipping time both ways). My father has a 17" Viewsonic (PF775) as does my father-in-law (PS775). Neither has had an issue in the 4 years they owned them.

Overall, I've been impressed with the ease of contacting them (getting a real peron on the line) and their willingness to fix things if they can.