honold

T-mobile Down?

but 3G again has multiple competing standards. There is W-CDMA, CDMA-2000 and yet something else... iirc

W-CDMA for the EU.

CDMA-2000 for Japan.

(AFAIK the above)

--------------------------

and this doesn't change the bottom line, we use an evolution of the "more" successful CDMA <_<

service is apparently out in missouri and illinois, 2 co-workers and a relative all have 'access denied'.  how far does this outage reach?

Did you get an answer from T-Mobile?

My wife and I call each other frequently using T-Mobile GSM phones....nothing funky lately.

I've been very impressed with their service. A nice change after being with Cingular (McCall Comm/McCall Cell/CellularOne/Cingular) for 20+ years and watching their service errode to cut costs.

CMDA, GSM, TDMA, blah.

U.S. GSM is not compatible with GSM elsewhere, so you will still need 2-/3-band phones.

The problem with international standards is who owns the standard (i.e. collects royalties). Two competing economies coming to agreement on a lucrative communications standard? Hmmmmm Wars have been fought over less. ;)

And then we have the whole "full spec disclosure" so governments can monitor their people and the other governments that are monitoring their people. :blink:

$500 for a phone?? Thanks to competition, I haven't paid for a phone in quite a number of years - (T-Mobile let my buy a Motorola V60g for 4 cans of food + service contract. LOL! )

Dogeared

8^)

$500 for a phone??

What's the matter?

I bought €500 my Nokia 6600 SIM-free 4 months ago. And I was happy cause Nokia point was giving it away for €610... :rolleyes:

BTW, you lucky bastards in the US, 6620 is coming to your market and it rocks! It sports all the things the euro-version (6600) is missing... :(

$500 for a phone?? Thanks to competition, I haven't paid for a phone in quite a number of years - (T-Mobile let my buy a Motorola V60g for 4 cans of food + service contract.    LOL! )

Dogeared

8^)

all depends what you want out of your phone.. I would personally love to get the P900... my GF got the T610 for $50, which she loves.. cheap and good :)

all depends what you want out of your phone.. I would personally love to get the P900... my GF got the T610 for $50, which she loves.. cheap and good :)

Hehe, the P900! :) (my current sig *sigh*)

It's a top notch phone... its only real adversary is the €900 "Qtek 2020 PPC 2003 Phone Edition" baby. Piece of art this last one, but you don't call it a smartphone... rather PDA+integrated phone. And unfortunately, with current trends, I wouldn't invest on the PDA market... <_<

SE T610? Best seller. And the trend continued with T630. I'm impatient to see the T650 which according to bits of info would boast some really cool tech for a phone.

---------------------------------------------------

Gimme a small, easily portable phone such as my Samsung A-530 anytime. I had a look at the integrated PDA type phones, way too large to carry around easily. The Samsung i-600- PocketPC plus phone with swivelling camera wasn't bad for about US$600. And the blackberry was cheap and small, but requires an always-on net connection to upload emails from. With the large number of locations that now prohibit camera phones, not having one was a bonus for me.

$500 for a phone?? Thanks to competition, I haven't paid for a phone in quite a number of years - (T-Mobile let my buy a Motorola V60g for 4 cans of food + service contract.    LOL! )

Dogeared

8^)

No, $500 for a PDA/Phone...with touchsensitive color screen, Palm 4.1 OS, SD memory card slot, MP3 player built in - it's the Kyocera 7135, which now faces stiff competition from the similarly priced Treo 600. I like the Palm 5.0 OS, the screen, the thumbkeyboard, and the overall finish of the Treo better (it's almost a year newer design), but the clamshell design of the 7135 protects the screen better. My 7135 has taken a LOT of abuse when I travel, and recently survived a nasty spill from my jacket pocket onto a NYC crosswalk while I was running to beat traffic (I almost got killed stopping to retrieve it...the phone was here, the battery there, the batter cover somewhere else - had to wait for the light to change to go back and get the cover). No damage - because the screen is totally protected, and it's fairly beefy design seems to have some backbone.

Having said that, I'd buy the Treo now that it's out.

So, not really $500 for a phone, more like $400 for a Palm, and $100 for a phone...

Future Shock

Having said that, I'd buy the Treo now that it's out.

FS, don't rush on your buy!

Wait a couple of months for the new Treo models which will arrive and sport PalmOS 6.0. I believe it's worth the wait for the advantages of the new OS (mainly, multitasking!).

The P900 is more of a phone than a PDA, that's the definition of a smartphone afterall: phone with added features.

I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that there is a new Treo phone out.

By new, I mean more than simply putting better firmware on the phone. Actual new features, that warrant a new model number.

I haven't seen any conclusive evidence that there is a new Treo  phone coming out.

By new, I mean more than simply putting better firmware on the phone. Actual new features, that warrant a new model number.

corrected post

So, not really $500 for a phone, more like $400 for a Palm, and $100 for a phone...

Future Shock

That I can believe. Must have missed the "Smart Phone" comment if it was made.

When I buy a phone that's what I want: a phone. No internet, no camera, no outbound messaging. I *talk* to people. :D

Any feature not related to taking or making a call is useless to me.

I know that puts me in a *very* small minority.

I'll have to give PDAs another try. I've tried to use them, starting with the Newton, but they always fall short compared to my brain. Unlike my PDA, when my Brain stops working, I won't care. :P

Also I still giggle when I hear "Palm Pilot." :lol:

Dogeared