guzo

Ups Recommendation

No, he had already purchased the units, he was just stating that a simple battery refresh cost almost as much as the price of the whole refurbished unit. It *does* make sense to get the refurb unit for $89 rather than the new unit for $300 if you don't have a UPS at all, especially when the price range is <$100

Uh-huh, correct. Actually I was just using my experiences to emphasize the point, what we actually do wasn't central at all - right now we are chucking the SmartUps units when their batteries go and replacing them with Tripp-Lite SmartOnline UPS units. But this isn't about me.

The cheap battery reference could still come in handy some day, though - thanks!

Right, I too don't see the reason in buying new UPS's when there's so much good used stuff around. In the comparison of the battery placement vs replacing the UPS with a new "refurbished" one, I guess it depends on the economics. If you're happy with what you have, by all means replace the battery and help reduce landfill usage :-) The new battery in the existing UPS will definately be cheaper then the refurbished ups. If you're looking to upgrade to something better...well...that's different.

Those are my thoughts on it anyway...

-Chris

Of course, I heard about that link after I spent about $300 on a UPS. Figures. :)

In the FAQ section of the Refurbups.com website, it says the UPSes are shipped without serial cables... so no PC connection, unless you buy a proprietary (i.e. expensive) serial cable from APC.

(Refurbups are selling the SmartUPS cable relatively cheap, but I think their other models require different cable types.)

I have a drawing on how to make your own SMART-UPS Signaling cable, works with the APC SMART-UPS 700 together with Powerchute Plus and that other enterpise software they have...

Can't log in to my ftp server for some reason now though, I'll post it here tonight if anyone is intrested

I actually have a cable I made myself, 0,5m that I'll send you if you pay shipping costs because I found the real cable from APC after looking a while at work ;-)

I have 2 identical APCs - the model is:

Back-UPS CS 350 EI

when mains power goes down, it holds power to my PCs. It works very well.

I still haven't used the USB connection, or the Parachute... these things for automatic shutdown of the PC.

I haven't used the modem protection either yet.

As others have mentioned, a line-interactive UPS is the way to go. Unfortunately a new APC Smart UPS 1000 VA runs $500ish. The most cost effective route is pick up a used unit off of eBay or find a place that refurbs them.

If you live anywhere near Texas, have a look at Power Protection Partners. I recently picked up a Smart UPS 1250 VA for $99. Since I live nearby, I was able to avoid the shipping charges. Depending on where ya live, I imagine it would cost $10-20 for Fedex Ground.