perrymoo

Microdrives And Pda's

Hi need to get some mobile storage sorted, been looking at bigish sandisk cf cards and for a while now thinking about using the now larger sized microdrives 4gig is quite a good price.

anyone have any feedback on how reliable thay are ?

how senstive to mobile use and shock ?

how much power they use comparied with cf flash style media.

there overall a much better price than larger cf but whats the down/upsides ?

any help would be cool

perry

They tend to be bigger and cheaper (but you already knew that) but slower and less shock resistant. We have a few that travel with our D1X, but they always get selected last after the CF cards - shooter's choice. We have not had a problem reliability-wise with either 2 or 3 of the 1G drives. I think the shock resistance issue is primarily when the drive is actually in use, I think they park fairly well.

Hmm, and my uncle uses a 1G in his Garmin GPS. About 3 months on the dash of his Navigator, in and out on occasion, and no issues. In his case I don't think he cares that it takes a bit longer to load maps than his 128M CF card, though it certainly does.

they can and will fail, i know people (HEAVY users) that have been through several. i prefer to use flash/sd/etc just because i can drop it and if i'm actually taking pictures it's probably pretty important to me. i wouldn't expect a microdrive to fail if i bought one, but i would be wary of it and i don't like that. if you want a 4gb one, you can buy the muvo 4gb mp3 player cheaper than the cost of the microdrive and remove the drive. techbargains.com dpreview.com etc have details on this, be sure to look them up before you consider it.

What are you going to use it in? Specifically?

The true transfer rates vary *wildly* depening on what equipment the card is installed in.

The SanDisk Ultra II series seem to be top performers across the boards.

Unfortunately you cannot just say that Microdrives are slower.

For instance:

The Hitachi 4GB Mircodrive is a good performer in the Canon 10D, but doesn't do so well in the Canon Digital Rebel.

Depending on the device, smaller (<2GB FAT16 format) cards may perform much better than large (>2GB FAT32 format) cards.

I know people that have had the Microdrives fail. These are people (in this case) that were used to tossing CF cards around...microdrives don't care much for that.

I've had a 1GB drive for a few years. I tend to remove/replace the thing a few times a week. No problems. Ever. (Used in a Canon D30)

But it is a mechanical device. So it *can* fail.

I would get the Microdrive and dump the data frequently enough to make you feel safe. :)

Dogeared

8^)

thanks for all the feedback very helpfull going think some more, find out a little bit more about trans rates.

as for use every think I can make my hp pda do :) and then some.

perry

thanks for all the feedback very helpfull going think some more, find out a little bit more about trans rates.

as for use every think I can make my hp pda do :) and then some.

perry

I'm looking at a similar situation, Using it in a PDA as a iPod-like music player with additional capabilities.

If you get more than 2GB of space, microdrives are better $/MB, less than that it's better to stick with CF mems.

t197.gif