qawsedrftgzxcvb

Curse Microsoft!

/start ********

The graphic chip will be based on the the R500. This VPU has been in design at ATI’s Marlborough, Mass. office. It'll be fully compatible with DirectX 9's PS and VS 3.0 and the next version of DirectX: DX10, the same suite of APIs that will be used in Longhorn.

What nobody is telling you and you'll know about this first, here on TeamXbox, is the revolutionary approach of the Xbox 2 to deal with today's biggest problem in graphics chips: memory bandwidth.

The graphic chip will contain not only a graphics rendering core but up embedded DRAM acting as a frame buffer that is big enough to handle an image that is 480i and can be 4 times over sampled and double buffered. Yeah, we all remember Bitboys but this time you can bet this is for real. This solution will finally make possible HDTV visuals with full screen Anti-Aliasing on.

The technology also supports up to 512 MB of external memory on a 256-bit bus. However, current specs plan to use 256 MB RAM, big enough for next-generation visuals which are all about computational power rather than large storage.

* Three IBM-designed 64-bit microprocessors. The combined power of these chips means the Xbox Next will have more computing power than most personal computers. The chips are used in Apple Computer's high-end G5 PowerMac machines now.

* A graphics chip designed by ATI Technologies with speeds much faster than its upcoming R400 chip for the personal computer. This chip will help the next Xbox to display games with the resolution of high-definition TV.

* Compatibility with the original Xbox, which is based on Intel and Nvidia chips, isn't guaranteed. Microsoft is concerned it would cost too much money in hardware or in licensing fees to enable the Xbox Next to play old Xbox games. This is risky in part because Sony's strategy has been to maintain compatibility with its old consoles.

From www.rage3d.com.

M$ s*cked ATI's **** so they get the friggin R500 before PC users! WTF??? Why the hell can't the PC users get a R500 also? We get stuck with R420?

Nvidia, hurry up and clean up your act! I want to go back. There is 1 thing I hate and that's POLITICS!! Besides, Nvidia has faster OpenGL :P . Now only if Nvidia would work on the picture quality.

/end ********

I'm more concerned here about the decision to drop the Xbox platform, though I already have a hi-rez switcher into my entertainment system, so I could hang an XBox and an XBox 2 off of it easily. Yes, my two-year old daughter already knows how to work a Sierra (though unlike my 8 year old son she can't make it do what she wants).

This is capitalism. M$ is another consumer of ATI's products, just like you. Well, not just like you, unless your purchasing of their products can directly influence bottom line, stock prices, etc. If M$ didn't get better treatment than you & I then ATI wouldn't be fit to be in business.

All of that aside, by the time these are actually on the shelves, who knows?

Common sense just hit qawsedrftgzxcvb.

The R500 isn't due for some time. Neither is the Xbox2. The card will probably come out when the console comes out.

Tylau I'll take my chances with Volari or Deltachrome if ATI and Nvidia start sucking.

Good point. Don't worry about the future or you'll lose the present.

by that time, there should have been another 1-2 revisions of GFX chips

hehe.....which is why I say:

SCREW ATI AND NVIDIA!!!! 3DLABS!!! ALL THE WAY!!! OpenGL 2 ALL THE WAY!!! 512 MB MRAM ALL THE WAY!!!!

wasn't the video in the xbox superior to what was available for the pc at the time of its release as well?

it would stand to reason that it's quicker to qa a card for a static platform than it is for pcs in general.

The xbox HAS a crippled GF 3 and a P3 733.

Supposedly the XBOX 2 is to have three 65nm G5 chips, which would be 6 cores, or equivalent to a 12 or 16-way server from today, or like 20 xboxen. Although I seriously doubt this is real, WHAT would need this processing power? Most current games are GPU limited, so it would have to be speech recognition, etc if the specs are to be believed, since the R500 will have to be able to do all of the graphics stuff anyway (1920x1080 at 30FPS isn't THAT bad-- about the same number of pixels as 1600x1200).

In denial,

Z

Well, need is a funny thing. Not sure about the overall system specs, seems overly ambitous to me, but for years M$ has been looking for the killer pan-box that would make Bill the king of your kingdom. So, if you think of it less as a game system and more as WebTV, media server, PVR, PC, personal trainer, etc. maybe they're starting to get close to that crazy.

Is it true that BG keeps statues of Alexander the Great and Ceasar in his house, and weeps every time he sees them?

Bollocks, the XBOX has a GeForceFX integrated similar to the nForce2. The XBOX is basically the nForce2 chipset for the Intel platform and I think did come out before the PC based GeForceFX's did. Although Nvidia called it the XGPU.

That's one of the reason ported games tend to be designed for the GF-FX chipset (like SplinterCell) and had to have features turned of to run on the ATI/NVIDIA pre-GF-FX cards.

It was also one of the reason NVIDIA would take the market with the PC GeforceFX chipset as all the games would port reasonably easily, shame that never happened ;)

I think "TeamXbox" don't know stinker. They just invent stuff they think sounds cool.

Yeah, Xbox2 is gonna have... eh quick! something cool? What does IBM do? PowerPC! 90nm is nice... but 65 nm is c00ler! Yeah! 65 nm 5 Ghz PowerPC G7 128 bit, 2 processors! No, three!! FOUR!!! and... and R500!!! yes! double R500 and and.... Integrated Bluray!!! sure... whatever you say, it's gonna have it. DDR[one more than everyone else] and it's going to be the first platform to run Blazemonger 4D *frothing at the mouth*

Anyone ever used a 3 processor SMP or similar configuration ?

If the PPC is good enough for the Mars Rovers' then it's good enough for the XBOX ;)

ohhh 3 mars rovers in a box now that IS something

Hmmm, 3 CPU's inside of that console would practicly drain way more electricity than a Regular single Processor computer in the near future, even more than the next generation of the Pentium/Opteron and AMD64 FX-5* line!even though the 2GHz G5 only uses a max of 60 Watts per CPU, given the 1.6GHz only uses 15/25, if these chips run at 3GHz, i beleave the power consumption will be around 400/500Watts? the next generation of IBM's Power* CPU's will be Dual core. BTW, the original Power4 which is a dual core CPU, consumes about 150 to 160 Watts running at i beleave 1.8GHz(each core):ph34r:

Most current games are GPU limited, so it would have to be speech recognition, etc if the specs are to be believed, since the R500 will have to be able to do all of the graphics stuff anyway (1920x1080 at 30FPS isn't THAT bad-- about the same number of pixels as 1600x1200).

In denial,

Z

and on which TV set were you going to see 1600x1200?? pretty much NONE, exactly. The console market uses much lower resolutions, so it is unlikely GPU limited. The max resolution will probably be 1024x768...

Bollocks, the XBOX has a GeForceFX integrated similar to the nForce2.  The XBOX is basically the nForce2 chipset for the Intel platform and I think did come out before the PC based GeForceFX's did.  Although Nvidia called it the XGPU.

That's one of the reason ported games tend to be designed for the GF-FX chipset (like SplinterCell) and had to have features turned of to run on the ATI/NVIDIA pre-GF-FX cards.

It was also one of the reason NVIDIA would take the market with the PC GeforceFX chipset as all the games would port reasonably easily, shame that never happened ;)

The chip is a directx 8 chip. Geforce2 is directx 7 and Geforce FX is directx 8.

The chip is hybrid of a Geforce3 and Geforce4. It is memory limited, but how many consoles do HD TV?

It has vertex and pixel shaders. The data types are an integer can not do branching.

i'm pretty sure that the xbox had a gf3-based (but better than a gf3) card and that it was faster than any pc video on the market at the time of its release

honold it is :)

I was yanking chains (much like the artice) but not so much :P

It was based on a modified NV20 core (which wasn't even released to the PC world at the time), we where still GF2-Pro at the time, UK at least.

It's more like a GF4 I think (GF4-MX ? similar integration to there nForce chipset?)

It has 2 vertex units (GF3 had 1)

It also has not AGP bus so access's the memory without this bus in the way (shared with CPU @ DDR200)

It is basically an nForce chipset and has a soundstrom like APU on another chip in the box somewhere.

Now I'm going to have to rip mine open.... What was the crippled GF4 line? MX? Thought it was equivalent to one of those...

Most of this information has been around for awhile. The thing won't ship until the 2005 Christmas season.. so who cares? :P

I'm very interested in 1080i HDTV triple-buffered 4xAA performance.

When you release something every 4-5 years, you need to think ahead.

I just hope Neverwinter Nights 2 actually runs on ATI chips. :)

Actually, I hope it runs well on Matrox cards. :lol:

It is funny that IBM now produces the core chips for all three next-gen consoles.

Maybe it's because they already have 65nm and 42.5nm production facilities and are working on 30nm in the labs. Hmmmm.

And I really doubt the power consumption will be that high. The new chips on "based on" current chips, just like the Mobile Celeron is "based on" the P4.

Doesn't mean it will need 100W to run.

It will be interesting to see how using non-x86 chips will affect XBox / PC port-itis.

Dogeared

I'd rather be using Matrox...

8^)