Clocker

Good Headphones For My New Audigy 2 Zs

Hey guys-

I got a really nice deal on an Audigy2 ZS so i decided to give Creative a try again. Lately, I've been unhappy with the popping and noises I've been hearing with my NF2 (non-Soundstorm) onboard sound.

I'm looking for a nice set of headphones (with a mic for Counter-Strike would be nice) that will be able to complement the Audigy2's capabilities/sound quality. Any recommendations?

Also, I've read the Creative drivers have a fair amount of bloatware as well as stuff like AOL packaged in there. You guys have any details on that on if there are any trimmed down drivers available out there on the 'net? Or at least a way to remove the AOL stuff?

Thanks,

C

Hey guys-

I got a really nice deal on an Audigy2 ZS so i decided to give Creative a try again.  Lately, I've been unhappy with the popping and noises I've been hearing with my NF2 (non-Soundstorm) onboard sound. 

I'm looking for a nice set of headphones (with a mic for Counter-Strike would be nice) that will be able to complement the Audigy2's capabilities/sound quality.  Any recommendations?

Also, I've read the Creative drivers have a fair amount of bloatware as well as stuff like AOL packaged in there.  You guys have any details on that on if there are any trimmed down drivers available out there on the 'net?  Or at least a way to remove the AOL stuff?

Thanks,

C

If you're looking for FPS gaming headphones, there are very cool Zalman headphones with surround mode.

I don't know about their sound quality hifi-wise.

There are stripped down drivers available at www.kxproject.com, but iirc these are not for gamers.

Sony MDR-7506 Headphone has been one of Sony's Best industry standard for over 20 years. Still one of the best headphones for Studio Monitoring,Mixing, Djing and for many other applications. There are a few reasons why this headphone is still being made today. To this day it still is a favorite amongst Audio Engineers as well as TV/Broadcasting Professionals. Dj's also choose the MDR7506 because of it's realiablity and pricing. A great headphone at a great price.

that's the set i recommend. you can wear them forever without fatigue, and the audio quality is excellent.

You should try the 7505s, too. We have both in studio, and for whatever reason even though there is an impression of greater comfort for the 7506s the 7505s always get selected first. This is by people who many times will wear them for 12-14+ hours straight and can wear anything they want. I think it is because the 7506s are heavier and can end up with a bit of a "pull" on your head over time.

i like plantronics PC headsets. They havea good range from inexpensive to pretty nice. All use nice long cords and are comfortable. I've never had a fatigue problem with one of their headesets either.

If you're looking for FPS gaming headphones, there are very cool Zalman headphones with surround mode.

I don't know about their sound quality hifi-wise.

I just bought 1 for $70. The thing is worse than my old $12. However, in WarIII: TFT and in Spellforce the thing is INCREDIBLE!!! The games has sound I never knew existed!!! The only bad thing I noticed is that the rear channel was a little weak, but still audible.

If you're using it for gaming then go for the ZM-RS6F. Remember that it's not that great for MP3s (respectable but not incredible).

Sennheiser. No brand has yet matched their sound quality, IMO.

If you want *really really* good sound, get the Sennheiser Orpheus.,

Heh, $12K for a bunch of tubes....

If you want great sound and wireless listening (w/simulated 5.1 to boot):

http://www.bhphotovideo.com/bnh/controller...u=287186&is=REG

I keep one headset dedicated for the treamill, as the padding seems to wear off then it gets wet....

Agreed, but I don't know of a model with a mic?

Maybe set it up like a dj. With Sennheiser Headphones and a separate Sennheiser mic, but that seems like a waste for gaming.

Well i did a fair bit of research on this subject just few months ago. Ended up getting the Sennheiser HD-590, for these reasons: Comfortable, pretty light weight, only 1 wire coming out of it, if you step on the wire it comes out and you can plug it back. And of course sound quality (just google around for reviews) is very good without needing those hifi headphone amplifiers. If you go with the top of the line HD-600 or latest 6xx, they have 2 wires and need headphone amp for good sound.

Other good are Grado's, but for combined game/movie/music/etc i think you can't go wrong with the HD-590. You can wear them 6+ hours without taking off ..

Price 140-200 euro or $

sound based on hifi reviews: like sitting in the first row on a concert, slighty bright, but not as bright as grado.. Bass is not overdone like on the Sony's.

PC Headset with better sound than Plantronics at a similar price: Sennheiser PC-150. c. $50-70USD

A studio headset with even better headphones and a tighter cardioid microphone (doesn't pick up surround noise so easily): Sennheiser HD 280 PRO. c. $150-200USD

Both with sound quality better than Plantronics, Zalman, cheap logitech headsets and the like.

Both have a mic that rotates to the front of your mouth.

well one way to avoid all the "bloatware" is to not use the cd's and just download the drivers from the website they are a new version anyway with the eax 4 support which i take it wasnt in the drivers on the cd.

you dont get any special controls though

but one thing i might add my friend switched between his headphones and speakers and had to switch to headphone mode in the drivers otherwise he would get a crackling i told him it's probably too loud and to turn down the wave volume. he said it was not a problem with the web drivers without adding all the extra software. he is lazy and doesnt care about that the sound is custom tailored for what you set it for as in should be better 3d with the headphones if set to headphones.

So are you saying that the web drivers do everything you need them to, including offering this "headphones mode" option? Or that you needed to install some sort of control panel from CDs or the web in order to select the headphones mode?

According to Headroom (http://headroom.headphone.com/layout.php?topicID=1) the two best non-amplifier-required headphones (for the best sound for the money) are the Grado SR60 and the Sennheiser PX-100. These two headsets are usually backordered they are so popular. These are both well under $100US, but neither has a microphone - bummer for your needs. Perhaps someone knows where one of these two have a microphone added. I would sure like to know that, myself. With a good headphone amplifier added to the equation, the options open up quite a bit.

headroom is a vendor, not an independent review site. goto a club or a studio and you'll probably see mostly 7506s. they are comfortable to wear for extended periods of time (e.g. 6+ hours) and will last for YEARS and YEARS. pc users seem to patently go gaga over anything made by sennheiser.

Audigy2 defenitely a good purchase...

Best enjoyed thru thin air : )

/casa

Good sound quality, but I have stopped using the 1394a port on it. Seems to have too many errors compared to other solutions.

All these headphone posts make me want to go out and buy a pair, but I have a problem. I have a big head. I can't wear ball caps, for instance, and every pair of (admittedly cheap) headphones I tried on at staples left one of the earpads sitting above my ear at even the widest setting.

Are there any headphones that will accomodate a size 8+ head?

-- Rick

-- Rick

If you can provide specific measuerments (ear-ear distance, radius from the arc out from the ear-ear line to the top of your head*) I could measure what we have here. Overall, the professional quality headphones are very adjustable, so I would be surprised if you had a problem with them.

*I am not assuming a round head here, so the first does not necessarily permit me to calculate the second.

-- Rick

If you can provide specific measuerments (ear-ear distance, radius from the arc out from the ear-ear line to the top of your head*) I could measure what we have here. Overall, the professional quality headphones are very adjustable, so I would be surprised if you had a problem with them.

*I am not assuming a round head here, so the first does not necessarily permit me to calculate the second.

Hey, thanks, BTB. I don't have a tape measure here, so I'll prolly get back to you tomorrow. Let me see if I understand the measurements you need:

* One from the center of my ear, up and over my head to the other ear center.

* One from the center of my ear, around the back of my head to the other ear center.

-- Rick