supercaffeinated

Sco Website Is Unreachable.

Linus can't be sued for copying code that was in the public domain - so if it is found that that is what he did (as it appears at present), then there is no case.

Is there a possibility this particular part was more complex that this?

In other words, is possible that Linus copied some parts from public domain and some parts illegaly, making the case mixed?!

Thanks Mr. I'll-flood-the-whole-internet-to-get-back-at-a-company.  I appreciate your efforts to ruin my internet experience.

There's evidence that the virus came from Russia, and may target SCO... I don't know, for publicity maybe. Russians generally don't tend to care about U.S. court cases, though this may be an exception.

If SCO loses the case that Linux is a copy of Unix...then I will lose the last shred of respect I have in the U.S. legal system.
Funny, I was just thinking that if SCO wins the case, I would lose the last shred of respect I have in the U.S. legal system.
Of course if that happened,  I could build a replica of Windows and call it Gindows and give it away... 

Microsoft won't mind. :)

This is probably a jab at Lindows. While it probably wasn't a great name, I think that the fact Microsoft has copyrighted/trademarked the word "Windows" is absurd beyond belief. They tend to name things after common words that are used in every day speech and have nothing to do with Microsoft, e.g. "Word", "Access", "Project", etc. That's all well and good, but trademarking those terms is akin to recieving a patent for simple math problems. They have several of those as well, they are called "process patents" or "software patents", which I also feel are absurd, and accomplish quite the opposite of what patents were intended to accomplish.

Linus can't be sued for copying code that was in the public domain
Is there a possibility this particular part was more complex that this?

Not Really, or else SCO would have attacked the case on those grounds.

The fact is, it took them over a year to even begin to present "evidence"

that led to the lawsuit against IBM.

In other words, is possible that Linus copied some parts from public domain and some parts illegaly, making the case mixed?!

Take into that possibility the knowledge that the source code for every

version of the linux kernel has been freely available on the net since Linus first

started it as his college thesis in OS design. That several thousand

qualified UNIX programmers and companies have overseen the development

of that code since its inception - and helped to make sure no infringing code

was ever submitted (or if such was, that it was removed in a timely manner).

And that SCO themselves were noted as having contributed non-infringing

GPLed code to the project in the past. Given that, I think that the possibility

that anything illegal got installed and not changed for this long is very very remote.

Keep in mind that if this was really an issue over infringing code, all SCO had

to do was identify the code in question, and the OSS community would have been

happy to fix Linux to their satisfaction.

Actually, the current case isn't about trade secerets, copyright, or patents. SCO is saying that IBM misappropriated AIX code (that IBM wrote and has patents/copyright on) into Linux, and that this was a contract violation.

Thank you for your time,

FranK Russo

Actually, the current case isn't about trade secerets, copyright, or patents.  SCO is saying that IBM misappropriated AIX code (that IBM wrote and has patents/copyright on) into Linux, and that this was a contract violation.

Thank you for your time,

FranK Russo

Actually.. As of today, nobody knows what the happy fellow the case is about!!!

Frank

Actually, the current case isn't about trade secerets, copyright, or patents.  SCO is saying that IBM misappropriated AIX code (that IBM wrote and has patents/copyright on) into Linux, and that this was a contract violation.

Thank you for your time,

FranK Russo

Actually.. As of today, nobody knows what the happy fellow the case is about!!!

Frank

Yes we do - it is, and has always been, about pumping up SCO's stock price long enough for them to excercize some options and get rich. The lawsuits are tactical - they probably don't even give a stinker if they win, only that the stock rises as a result.

Why? Because if the stock goes up and options vest, the execs become rich men for life. After that, the stock can crash, the lawsuits fail, the counter lawsuits win and cost SCO (as a company) billions - and it just doesn't matter. NOBODY will be able to touch the financial gains of the execs, regardless of how much SCO the company must pay in fines. Investors will be left with a stripped-out shell of a company with a huge negative value - but the stock gains will be sitting in off-shore accounts and tied up in Florida real-estate.

Future Shock

Why?  Because if the stock goes up and options vest, the execs become rich men for life.  After that, the stock can crash, the lawsuits fail, the counter lawsuits win and cost SCO (as a company) billions - and it just doesn't matter.  NOBODY will be able to touch the financial gains of the execs, regardless of how much SCO the company must pay in fines.  Investors will be left with a stripped-out shell of a company with a huge negative value - but the stock gains will be sitting in off-shore accounts and tied up in Florida real-estate. 

Dang, how do I get that job?

Could jealousy be the motivator behind the virus?

If this scenario is true, these guys are geniuses!

It is more likely that there is a nitros-oxide leak under SCO HQ, and they spend all day getting high and writing lawsuits....

What's your favorite color? Mine is PONY!!!

I wonder if this is how dogs see?

Let's sue IBM for a trillion dollars!!!

Why settle for Trillions, when we could have.............. Billions?!?

You get the picture,

Frank

Why? Because if the stock goes up and options vest, the execs become rich men for life. After that, the stock can crash, the lawsuits fail, the counter lawsuits win and cost SCO (as a company) billions - and it just doesn't matter. NOBODY will be able to touch the financial gains of the execs, regardless of how much SCO the company must pay in fines. Investors will be left with a stripped-out shell of a company with a huge negative value - but the stock gains will be sitting in off-shore accounts and tied up in Florida real-estate.

:( (if true as practice)

Yes we do - it is, and has always been, about pumping up SCO's stock price long enough for them to excercize some options and get rich.  The lawsuits are tactical - they probably don't even give a stinker if they win, only that the stock rises as a result.

Why?  Because if the stock goes up and options vest, the execs become rich men for life.  After that, the stock can crash, the lawsuits fail, the counter lawsuits win and cost SCO (as a company) billions - and it just doesn't matter.  NOBODY will be able to touch the financial gains of the execs, regardless of how much SCO the company must pay in fines.  Investors will be left with a stripped-out shell of a company with a huge negative value - but the stock gains will be sitting in off-shore accounts and tied up in Florida real-estate. 

This is evil genius. A real genius figures out how to make millions while gaining public favor and benefiting society, like the guy who made all those medical breakthroughs as well as the Segway.

While I agree that it's not justified to attack SCO's website, I don't think so because it harms the broader Internet. I think so because Open-Source activists have been implicated in creating the virus and this is more damaging to Open-Source in the court of public opinion than SCO itself.

I think so because Open-Source activists have been implicated in creating the virus and this is more damaging to Open-Source in the court of public opinion than SCO itself.

Dear SCO,

If open source advocates wrote the virus, why isn't the source code to the virus available on sourceforge? Hell, the release wasn't even posted on freshmeat!

Frank

They are NOT geniuses - hell, this stinker has been done so many times before it isn't funny. Think of Lincoln Saving and Loan, think of Enron, think of Global Crossing...the only unique thing here is that they are using a highly questionable lawsuit rather than a more straight forward business scam to run up the stock price. Lawsuit, paper offshore deals, what's the difference?

They are not geniuses - the US public is just f*cking stupid enough to tolerate this stinker over and over again...and STILL vote for the men who condone it and refuse to police white collar crime (because they write the big campaign checks).

The book of the week is The Cheating Culture by Callahan. If you haven't read it, then do so immediately. And cry...it appears that you have one choice in today's America : cheat and have the possiblity of growing fantastically wealthy, or play it straight and be a relative loser. His examples, some starting with the rampant cheating that occurs just to get kids into the best pre-schools at 3 years old, are truely depressing...

Future SHock

Did you pretend to like dancing when you met your wife?

Nope, but I offered to get us dance lessons before our wedding.

So is that "evil"? The ultimate moral compass has to be to do whatever I have to to get my genetic material into the next generation.

So is that "evil"?  The ultimate moral compass has to be to do whatever I have to to get my genetic material into the next generation.
Right and wrong are things for judges and juries to decide.

The complexity of the intersection of computing, law and the financial industry make for some pretty arbitrary rulings however.

This sort of complexity, and the knowledge that no single person can be sophisticated enough (or bothered) to understand the all the legal and technical intricacies of such a case make me inclined to go with my gut on this one, or stay out of it completely.

I'm betting on SCO to get their asses handed to them (ie bancruptcy) and RedHat stock to take a big leap (as if tripling in the last 6 months wasn't enough) when the ruling against SCO comes out.

So is that "evil"? The ultimate moral compass has to be to do whatever I have to to get my genetic material into the next generation.

Would you say the same if I came by your house with a Barret .50 sniper rifle, blew you away, and then took your car, wife, and valuables? NOT THAT I WOULD DO SUCH A THING - the point is, where do you draw the line? Certainly, I would enhance my ability to propagate my genetic materiel if I kill 10 other men and take their wealth, impregnate their wives, and live happily ever after.

The point being, civilization don't work well like that...that's why that scenario is illegal. (So all those thousands and thousands of rounds of rifle practice I had growing up pretty much doesn't help me economically, unless I become a hitman)

Civilization also doesn't work for very long without a social contract, in effect a "deal" between the upper and lower classes. The details vary, but anytime that contract does not exist, or is long-term ignored, you have rampant instability and revolt. Callahan's point is that the social contract in the US has been breaking down over the past 20 years, a reflection of unfettered capitalism, with few checks and balances. So while I can't SHOOT you, I can CHEAT you, and likely get away with it. I can abuse any and all power that I have - if I'm a bank manager, I can make loans to myself for millions of dollars and not pay them back, secure in the knowlege that most that are caught get astoundingly light sentances, while a 19year old picked up twice for drugs gets 30 years.

And lastly, I find your moral compass way too wussy - anyone can knock up a 19year old trailer park girl and pass on the genes...the key is to knock up an Ivy Leage grad working on Wall St. :P

Future Shock

No, I just didn't want us looking dumb in front of our families and friends.

It's called class

Frank

So is that "evil"?  The ultimate moral compass has to be to do whatever I have to to get my genetic material into the next generation.
Would you say the same if I came by your house with a Barret .50 sniper rifle, blew you away, and then took your car, wife, and valuables? 

I am perfectly comfortable with my preparations for just such an eventuality. And yes, if I was not prepared for that then I would not say that I deserve my current reproductive success.

Hint: You'd lose.

In fact, the thing that troubles me is that even those who don't take their social responsibiltiy seriously and prepare for such a thing get off easy - because you know you'd end up in jail, where you have no realistic opportunity to continue your genetic lineage.

OTOH, I bet the SCO guys get chicks by the boatload, which is the point...though if they go bankrupt, well the gambit may not pay off as that tends to de-emphasize reproductive potential, control-of-resources-wise. OTOOTH, if SCO goes bankrupt but they are still personally wealthy...chicks galore!

And just so you'll feel better, no amount of firearms training can ever be wasted.

I really wonder WTF dancing lessons before a wedding have to do with hackers attacking SCO's Internet site... :rolleyes:

EDIT: btb4 saved the day cause he mentioned SCO while I was previewing my post... ;)