LED ZEPPELIN

Defrag Utilities

If any of you guys are using Windows defragger I have found two awesome programs that do a much better job at it, and they defrag the swap file. Also, if you are on NTFS they take only about 3 minutes.

Here are two of them that I've found to be very good:

VoptXP

Diskeeper Lite

They also increase your uncached speeds.

O&O Defrag Pro v. 6.0 is pretty good. Offers lots of options, non and advanced ones. The interface is also easy to understand and there are several defrag. methods that can be chosen from. May not be the quickest, does in my opinion an intensive good job and re-ordering files and space.

Anyone else ever used it?

Regards,

Cristiano

why do people care about defrag speeds when it can (should) just be scheduled?

Not everyone keeps their machine running all the time. I do it manually whenever I feel like defragging - which is a rare occurrence.

While on the topic of Diskkeeper and defrag,does the option to do a boot time dfrag and place the directories at the front of the drive really pay off in any performance gains?

On a lighter note a few years ago I made the comment to my Wife that I needed to dfrag my harddrive.Her reply was ,don't you think you're a little old for that.I left it at that!

On a lighter note a few years ago I made the comment to my Wife that I needed to dfrag my harddrive.Her reply was ,don't you think you're a little old for that.I left it at that!

:lol:

Yea, I'm very lazy too. I sometimes don't defrag for months at a time. With NTFS it's not that noticeable although the computer is a little peppier when defragged.

I've spent a few months evaluating degfrag solutions

(by running the 30-day eval of each brand).

My humble opinion so far: (in descending order)

O&O Defrag

Great defrag options, Decent interface, excellent scheduling.

PerfectDisk

Excellent interface, least CPU intensive (IMO), decent scheduling.

Diskkeeper

Fast (but CPU-intensive), interesting scheduling options, most

compatible with 2000/XP default defrag program (which is a very pared

down version of diskkeeper)

VoptXP

Decent performance, interface seems a bit dated, scheduling works but

cannot be fine tuned, no boot-time defrag options.

Diskkeeper lite

Better than the default windows defrag?

Default Windows Defrag

I haven't tried pagedefrag or contig, so I will leave off comments there.

Spoken like someone who's never had to defrag 2T of HD video files every two hours just to keep editing....

We use Diskkeeper, about the fastest for what we do. Also has good/generous bulk licensing, etc.

SpeedDisk 2001 IMO was far and away the best defragger one could buy for Pre-XP Windows. It actually had intelligent file placement if you left it in auto mode -- where it would move your most frequently used files to the front of the disk -- and you also had the ability to invoke custom file placement so you could put rarely used files at the end of the disk, for example, and put frequently modified files near the free space of your drive so you can defrag just those files without disrupting the rest of your files. No other defragger could do that previously or currently.

PerfectDisk only arranges your files by how recently you modified them, so it will place the most frequently modified files near the free space... but you can't actually specify the files or folders themselves, like you can with Norton. For example, I can place my entire Temp and Temp Internet Files folders near the free space.

Read this FAQ for more info and related threads: PreXPDefrag

XP's built-in automatic idle-time file placement optimization renders much of Norton's advanced features moot (especially since early versions of SpeedDisk since XP came out did not co-operate with XP's boot-time file placement strategy), and Norton's switch to the MoveFile API in SpeedDisk 2002+ causes Norton to lose its competitive advantage.

Read this FAQ on defraggers for why defraggers are not a very compelling purchase if you run XP: XPDefrag

Yup. I schedule the built-in defragger to run at lunch once a week, and created a batch file to run contig every day on just the Local Settings directory, which contains the most frequently fragmented files on your HD by a longshot (outlook PST, Temp folder, Temp Internet Files folder). If you use another non-IE-based browser, like Opera or Moz/FBird, you should also run contig on your browser's cache directory(ies). Temp Internet Files are big time fraggers.

i use pagedefrag for my registry hives at bootup

great minds think alike... I set it to defrag every time at startup as well...

After trying both O&O defrag and Diskkeeper, it's no contest. O&O is a heck of a lot better.

It's also interesting to use O&O in conjunction with the single file section defrag program from sysinternals. You can click on the graphical representation of a file or free block to select and list the block#s it uses so you know what parameters to use for the command line defrag if you don't want to wait for the O&O program to figure out where to put things.

From what I can tell Diskkeeper doesn't defrag directories like O&O does which is a pretty big deal. Also, Diskkeeper works extremely poorly if less than 15% of your drive is free, even if that 15% is 10x larger than your largest single file.

Don't forget that Executive Software, the creator of Diskeeper, is widely considered to be a front for the Church of Scientology.

Don't forget that Executive Software, the creator of Diskeeper, is widely considered to be a front for the Church of Scientology.

lol (if that's true or if you were joking)

needs to be quick so they don't loose precious time on their d2ol crunching, One minute your in 4th next thing you knkow you have a poor defragging program and you back down in 6th :( ....

cquinn,

What versions where these defraggers?