Davin

Western Digital Raptor Wd740gd

Hello, I am new here.

Ever since Western Digital's Raptor WD740GD was announced, oh, about 10 months ago, enthusiasts and IT professionals everywhere have been patiently (or otherwise) waiting for concrete results that demonstrate the potential benefits of the the drive's tagged command queuing (TCQ).

We've been embroiled in hundreds of hours of testing using several different TCQ-enabled controllers in conjunction with arrays of 1 to 4 WD740GD drives. Unfortunately, many hours of tests remain.

However, we're eager to present some initial results. Stay tuned for the first of a three-part series that will examine what benefits TCQ confers in our relatively modest third-generation testbed in single-user and multi-user setups!

What is this arcticle going to be about? The Raptor drives using the new TCQ enabled controller cards? Maybe that will boost it's server performance?

What is this arcticle going to be about? The Raptor drives using the new TCQ  enabled controller cards? Maybe that will boost it's server performance?

Yes, and yes! By how much is the question. And which controller cards will allow the use of the TCQ capability of the Raptor WD740GD.

Any hope for 300GB Raptor? 10K.7 is going to be as big as 300GB. I have two 10K.6 146GB but they are not large enough. Raptor S-ATA is easier to use than SCSI, too.

Not in the near future. I'd guess at a 146 GB Raptor late this year or sometime next year. This is a guess, but an educated one.

Is the TCQ supported on the new ICH6R?

No, the ICH6R supports NCQ, the optional component of SATA-II. Since the Raptor isn't a native SATA drive (it's a PATA drive with an SATA bridge), it can't support NCQ, so it uses TCQ (the old PATA version, also used in recent IBM GXPs - not sure about the Hitachi 7K250).

TCQ isn't helpful in single user situations, perhaps because it invokes so much overhead. NCQ is said to be a lot more efficient, but it remains to be seen whether it really helps single user situations.

The Raptor won't get NCQ until it goes native SATA.

Finally got my WD740GD-00FLA0 ;)

It's great, but I noticed one thing. It makes a short click-click seek sound after every access. It sounds the same every time, and the HDD LED doesn't light up, so I guess it's some kind of offline activity.

Do any of you also experience something like this?

Tree of WD740GD drives died in my rig(replaced by warranty). Siply - tons of reallocated sectors in SMART after hard defragmentation or windows install. Now I've switched to 2xSeagate 7200.7. All seems good now. Performance still the same or higher.

Using P4C800E-Deluxe board(quality ASUS cables from box) and Sirtec 420W PSU(with UPS), Chieftec server fulltower with dedicated cooler for HDD. Same on both controllers - Promise or Intel... :(

I do not know why 3 of Raptor drives died in my rig... :(

My WD 800JB drive was OK during 3 month of using in this rig...

My dual 80GB UATA 7200rpm Raid Lev. 0 server (Athlon XP 2000) just died. The drives are fine, but they were getting slow. I picked up a Maxtor 7200rpm SATA 16MB buffer 300GB drive, but I also had a 72GB Raptor sitting around (bought it for a Power Mac G5 I haven't bought yet), and I decided to give the Raptor a try. Not sure how it will perform since I'm not sure TCQ is supported in my nForce3 MoBo (MSI K8N Neo). I suppose if it's still slow, I'll have to bite the bullet and get a SCSI 15k drive. (I can always put it in my G5. :)

Any input on whether the Raptor is starting to compare favorably against the SCSI drives in server performance?!? Thanks in advance.

David

A recent article here at SR showed that TCQ doesn't help much in desktop situations, and can actually hinder performance. NCQ is a more efficient implementation of the same thing, and doesn't really do any harm, but also doesn't help a desktop system much. Both require support from the controller, which in most cases (including the nForce 3) isn't there yet.

Raptors are excellent performance for their price, but the latest 15K SCSI drives from Maxtor and Fujitsu do beat it soundly, even in desktop tasks, for a much higher price. For most people, it's not worth the extra expense, and the Raptor will still beat most cheap/older SCSI drives in desktop tasks.

Spod,

You bring up an interesting point - the Raptor is right in no-man's-land right now. If you want fastest drive for the desktop and cost is no object, the latest 15k SCSI disks will claim that crown (though not hugely better than a Raptor). If you want high speed but cheap per Gig and easy to live with (cool, quiet), then look to the DiamondMax10/MaxLineIII (or maybe the Seagate 7200.8. though it loses in benchmarks to the DM10).

The Raptor has it's hands full on both counts - stuck right in the middle of two strong contenders. That can either be a very good postion to be in, or a very bad one...certainly WD stands alone there.

Future Shock