Davin

Western Digital Raptor Wd740gd

Very pleased with the new Raptor. Perfectly silent at idle inside my Chieftec case lined with an Acoustipack Deluxe v2. Hard drive seek is audible but that doesn't bother me. Just make sure you have it decoupled from your case, etc as there is vibrational noise.

On a side note, the Acoustipack Deluxe v2 also silenced those freaking ANNOYING Seagate 7200.7 maintenance sounds (I've got a RAID1 2-drive (SATA 120Gx2) array so it was getting on my nerves given each drive does its thing individually)

Very pleased with the new Raptor.  Perfectly silent at idle inside my Chieftec case lined with an Acoustipack Deluxe v2.  Hard drive seek is audible but that doesn't bother me.  Just make sure you have it decoupled from your case, etc as there is vibrational noise.

On a side note, the Acoustipack Deluxe v2 also silenced those freaking ANNOYING Seagate 7200.7 maintenance sounds (I've got a RAID1 2-drive (SATA 120Gx2) array so it was getting on my nerves given each drive does its thing individually)

Decoupled from the case? What do you mean?

Dit the Acoustapack increase your temps? And did it decrease the noise of the raptors seeks dramatically?

I would not mind reducing my raptors seeking noise a little!

Very pleased with the new Raptor.  Perfectly silent at idle inside my Chieftec case lined with an Acoustipack Deluxe v2.  Hard drive seek is audible but that doesn't bother me.  Just make sure you have it decoupled from your case, etc as there is vibrational noise.

Decoupled from the case? What do you mean?

Dit the Acoustapack increase your temps? And did it decrease the noise of the raptors seeks dramatically?

I would not mind reducing my raptors seeking noise a little!

Case temp rose but not significantly - 2-3 degrees at idle and about 6 at load but for me the biggest problem was that I don't use case fans and I had to use one 80mm Pabst for exhaust because my Seagate SATA 7200.2s were breaking 50 degrees with the Acoustipack Deluxe v2.

By decoupling I mean seperating the Raptor from the case like using rubber mounts, etc. Alternatively the Acoustipack does much the same thing by deadening the case vibration.

Raptor seeks are muted - you can still hear them grinding but it's no longer the more high pitched grind but more a low down deep rumbling.

good review

id really like to see wd update their 36gb drive with the new controller board and other chracteristics of the 74gb drive

i dont know about you guys but i dont need more than 36gb for a boot drive

these drives arent meant for storage; increasing the size just seems weird

i purchased a 36gb but had compatibility problems with it and was also displeased with the seek noise. it was simply unbearable to me

can people who have owned both the 36gb and 74gb say that there is a significant difference in seek noise between the two?

ive contemplated enclosing the drive in one of those padded housings but the heat would likely not be good for the drive at all

Other makers should release 10K-RPM S-ATA hard drives as well. That will make 10K-RPM S-ATA drives as norm in a few years.

I am seriously unhappy.

My raptor is faulty. Been having BSOD since I built my new computer. Had no idea what it was until yesterday when I used the HK250 as a boot drive and no more BSOD's. Put the raptor in as a 2nd drive and gave it a workout. The raptor locked up. Rebooted and the raptor partition was gone.

After a few days of raptor use I have decided I do not like the raptor much. Its seek noise is friggen annoying after a while and in reality I cannot see any real world performance loss when using the HK250 (except I cannot hear the HK250 seek at all - its the quiestest drive I have ever had and I like the calibration sound (meow).

Off I go to fill in the reliabilty survey.

I am undecided if I shall get another HK250 and sell the replacment raptor when it arrives. Or keep the raptor as a games drive/dvd rip etc drive.

Ive got a Raptor 74 gb and was thinking of getting another and RAID 0 them

except i saw a review site which mentioned that when RAID 0 ed the raptors perpetually seek and its like the disk heads never settle down this creates a low bass like noise constantly

im not bothered about the noise more worrying is the constant seeking as itll wear the drives out right

anyone with two raptors 74 in raid 0 care to comment if this article is true ill find the link if people want

Otherwise ill buy a hitachi 7k250 as my 4th hdd (others being IBM 7200rpm 120 gxp 80gb 2mb cache and maxtor 5400rpm 30 gb )

JEREMY

Other makers should release 10K-RPM S-ATA hard drives as well. That will make 10K-RPM S-ATA drives as norm in a few years.

I think they don't want to hurt their own SCSI business.

I think they don't want to hurt their own SCSI business.

In that case, the only candidates left (assuming a new HDD maker doesn't come out of the woodwork) would be Toshiba and Samsung. If I had to choose one, I'd bank on Samsung, as Toshiba doesn't do 3.5 inch drives at the moment and don't seem inclined to anytime soon.

Ive got a Raptor 74 gb and was thinking of getting another and RAID 0 them

im not bothered about the noise more worrying is the constant seeking as itll wear the drives out right

Drives don't wear out that easily, unless they have defects, are mishandled during shipping or installation, or are run too hot (well over 50ºC).

Anyway, if the array isn't being accessed, they won't be seeking. There may be more seeking per drive than for a single drive when run in RAID 0*, but not by that much.

Check out the FAQs here concerning RAID 0, or search the forum - there have been some especially informative threads about it recently, and you would do well to learn from them. It's not usually the best way to use two drives.

*For reasons too complex to list here. Search the forums, look for posts by Gilbo and e_dawg.

Finally, this sort of question is best put in the computing forum, this section is more about discussing the article/product than solving problems.

While talking about this drive, a extremely important thing is the cooling and noise reduce of it. I've had my eyes over the Silentmaxx HD Insulation 2.0 for a while, which I hope will cool and reduce the noise, to acceptable levels. What do you think?

Silentmaxx HD Insulation 2.0 (Info about it here. Babelfish here.)

sm-hddaemmung_gross.jpg

The spec speaks for itself:

- 4fach swinging suspension

- protection bodies from anodized aluminum

- complete shroud with heat guidance foil

- optimized temperature heat sink, 3seitige plant

- IDE connection realizable

- S-ATA connection realizable

- to 10.000U/min HDDs certified

- unbeatable price!

I also mailed Silentmaxx and asked if it could cool a WD Raptor 74 GB, and I got this response:

Hello,

you can use the 10.000 Umin drive only if the heat is not to much. We don't test this drive. You can unse all disk with a high of 3,5 Zoll

Mit freundlichen Grüssen

- silentmaxx -

Anyway, I've bought it. Right now, I'm waiting for Silentmaxx to get the product in stock (14 feb) and then they'll send it to me.

So please post your opinions before that date, so I can abort the order if it turns out not working with the raptor.

Kindest regards

Dealon

Tomshardware just recently got his hands on TCQ (Tagged Command Queing) / NCQ (Native Command Queing) capable controllers and the Raptor 740GD and Seagate 7200.7 S-ATA drives. (Both drives supports NCQ).

To use NCQ we needed a controller with appropriate support. Silicon Image supports this with software (driver) for the current Sil3512 and Sil3114 chips, but has not yet released them. The successor model, Sil3124, will support NCQ with hardware.

I hope you can get hold of controllers and drivers as soon as possible, so we can se your trusted words on it. Hope you can test it with both the Raptor and the 7200.7.

Any news on the TCQ controllers yet?

Won't it be a problem that we will use an external SATA controller then? I've heard issues with low PCI bandwidth or something like that...

SATA II PCI-X controller which supports Native Command Queuing announced Feb 17, 2004...

LSI Logics PCI-X MegaRAID SATA 300-8X

http://www.lsilogic.com/news/product_news/2004_02_17a.html

I'm guessing this is not going to be cheap. Saw their older 6 port SATA RAID card for over $300US. And this one has 128MB of DDR333 ram on it. Their existing cards don't support Native Command Queuing.

Apparently you should be able to plug a PCI-X card into a PCI slot and it will work at the lower PCI speed. Probably kills some speed in RAID but maybe not with a single drive.

____

These guys seem to have info on who's who in RAID controller cards.

http://www.storagesearch.com/raidctl.html

____

Seems like a shame not to get a Native Command Queuing controller for your new 74 GB Raptor. But who knows, maybe it doesn't really help the single user for the $ you're going to spend on it. MaximumPC did an article on NCQ in the Feb 2004 magazine. Looked promising but they reserved judgement on the feature for single users versus servers. They sure loved the Raptor 74 GB in RAID though.

I am reading everywhere that the new Raptor is very quiet when idling, but the seek noise is somewhat louder, sounds like SCSI drives...

Would some of the owners be so kind and record the sound of a WD740GD in action? Upload it somewhere in MP3... ;)

I bought two Raptor WD740GDs for a RAID 0 setup a couple of weeks ago and although I haven't put the side panel back on my computer yet they are no louder than any other hard drive I've had before (WD800JB, WD1600JB, WD400BB). Yes they are almost silent in idle and yes they get louder when the drive is active. Hard to put the sound into words but its the exact same sound that most drives make when they search/write etc. I've never owened a SCSI drive so I can't compare. I wouldn't want it in a living room but in an office it's about what you'd expect.

Kind of warm to the touch though. I might get a fan for that part of the case. I wonder about them in the hot summer if you don't have air conditioning.

Overall pleased though. No reason not to consider them, but for the price of course :-) I haven't benchmarked them but you can see the results from this website anyway.

If you want I can e-mail you a sound recording of the drives. I'd have to find my microphone and record something but I'm not going to post it.

One of the advantages of Fluid Dynamic Bearings is that they don't wear out, and so don't develop the whine that ball bearing WD drives are famous for.

Not all WD7360GD drives have FDB (most don't), but AFAIK, all WD740GD drives do have FDB, so you should be okay.

One of the advantages of Fluid Dynamic Bearings is that they don't wear out, and so don't develop the whine that ball bearing WD drives are famous for.

Not all WD7360GD drives have FDB (most don't), but AFAIK, all WD740GD drives do have FDB, so you should be okay.

Thanks.

I'm waiting to get one since it has been released... getting impatient, grrr, I need money :D

I'm just fed up with the noises of my 7K250 and I want SPEEEEEEEEEEED :rolleyes:

Anyway, I've bought it. Right now, I'm waiting for Silentmaxx to get the product in stock (14 feb) and then they'll send it to me.

So please post your opinions before that date, so I can abort the order if it turns out not working with the raptor.

Kindest regards

Dealon

Read near the bottom...

Good luck anyway.

Cheers,

SB