Sign in to follow this  
brwmogazos

Any Benefit Going Scsi Raid0(boot)for My Home Pc+?

I am thinking of going SCSI RAID for my boot hard drive setup if i am gonna see any differece in speed of course.

Currently i have a 15K RPM Maxtor Atlas for my boot drive U320

A 36GB Maxtor U160 Atlas 10K III for MP3Z

and a 200gb DiamondMax 9 SATA for downloads.

I also got a 15K.3 Cheetah not installed in my rig since its only 18GB my last boot HDD...

Eveything is connected to an Adaptec 29160N scsi controller.Single channel U160.

Would it be worth getting a Scsi Raid Card in order to setup a Scsi Raid 0 setup with 2x 15K PRM Atlas HDDs for my boot drives?Will i see any noticeable difference if i do so?I am using my rig for gaming-surfing the web(:P).

What controlled would i need?Dont wanna spend $$$.Gonna get second hand from e bay...

Thanks in advance.

PS:Can i have a Raid 0 setup with my controller?Think its only in non boot drives that can be done and its gonna be a software raid since i am running WinXP PRO?

Anandtech.com did an ide raid review, comparing cards, and found that hardware raid 0 (the only kind i think you'll find in scsi) offered little to no advantage over a single drive. Software raid 0 did offer a 10 to 15% gain. The reason being that the sowtware raid 0 uses the faster cpu on the computer to calculate the striping, where a hardware raid uses a much slower 100 mhz processor. If you're doing raid 5 then you want to relieve the computer's cpu from having to perform the intensive parity calculations, but raid 0's striping calculations should take advantage of the computer's cpu as they aren't much of a burden.

http://www.anandtech.com/storage/showdoc.html?i=1491

If the data they're presenting in the article is true you might not see much advantage with raid 0 scsi for boot. But then I haven't used it, so we'll have to see what someone who has used it has to say about it.

Please post more information about your current system, including CPU, RAM, motherboard, and whether you use a pagefile or not. Also, do you do anything besides surf the Net and play games?

Without knowing more at this point, I would think that you'd be more likely to benefit from spending your money on upgrading your motherboard, CPU, and/or RAM, and disabling your pagefile.

I would only suggest disabling your pagefile if you have at least 512 MB, and 1 GB would probably be just fine.

You could also try hooking up your old 15K.3 Cheetah and using that for your pagefile if you don't have enough memory to disable your pagefile completely.

If you don't have enough SCSI connectors to do that, then you could also try moving your .mp3s over to your 200 GB SATA drive and using the Maxtor for your pagefile.

Basically, if you can disable your pagefile, do so. If not, try to arrange things so it has its own HDD.

If you really want to mess around with your system, you might also try to move things around so your program files are on their own drive as well.

Obviously, you'd need to remove and then reinstall them for that to work, so you might want to try disabling or moving your pagefile first to see what kind of difference in performance you see.

Please post more information about your current system, including CPU, RAM, motherboard, and whether you use a pagefile or not. Also, do you do anything besides surf the Net and play games?

Without knowing more at this point, I would think that you'd be more likely to benefit from spending your money on upgrading your motherboard, CPU, and/or RAM, and disabling your pagefile.

I would only suggest disabling your pagefile if you have at least 512 MB, and 1 GB would probably be just fine.

You could also try hooking up your old 15K.3 Cheetah and using that for your pagefile if you don't have enough memory to disable your pagefile completely.

If you don't have enough SCSI connectors to do that, then you could also try moving your .mp3s over to your 200 GB SATA drive and using the Maxtor for your pagefile.

Basically, if you can disable your pagefile, do so. If not, try to arrange things so it has its own HDD.

If you really want to mess around with your system, you might also try to move things around so your program files are on their own drive as well.

Obviously, you'd need to remove and then reinstall them for that to work, so you might want to try disabling or moving your pagefile first to see what kind of difference in performance you see.

My system specs are:

PROMETEIA MACH 2 + ASETEK WATERCHILL cooling

ASUS P4C800-E DELUXE VDIMM MOD@ 3.35V

INTEL P4 2.8C SL6Z5@ 298FSB 4176MHZ

1GB OCZ 3500 LE PLATINUM BH 5

Atlas 15K boot ID 0 on my Adaptec 29160N

Maxtor atlas 10K III

Diamondmax 9 SATA on my boards ICH5

Its an a rig i use for gaming watching movies etc.

Yeah i am into xtreme overclocking :P

I want my rig to be as responsive as possible...

The benefit of striping drives for desktop (poweruser) usage is minimal (as demonstrated in the FAQ). The benefit of using two drives independently can be significantly larger --if the data is distributed intelligently-- during multiple, concurrent I/O operations (which may be incurred by multitasking).

See this thread for a good discussion. I link 4 other threads in it that can give you some detailed information.

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

Wow, kick ass system. Well, I originally bought 2 Cheetah X15 36LP 36.7gb for RAID 0 purpose. My goal was the same as yours. I was seeking for an Adaptec 2100S RAID controller but many people told me to not do this as I would gain very little or nothing at all. So, I have decided to hold my purchase. Now, I have 2 identical SCSI drives connected to an Adaptec 29160N. One for OS, the other, well, for backup. Yep, a 15K drive for backup purpose. What a waste of money.

I don't think that I will be of any help but at least, I am telling you what others told me a couple of months ago. I also only play games and surf the hardware forums just like you and lot of people told me that I would not gain anything by RAIDing my drives togheter. Now, I think that RAID 0 is just a gimmik for braggin right, especially for gamers like us. In the end, it seems like it is more wasted money for the "performance" it may bring.

Maybe should I have bought this 2100S controller anyway just to see if it is true that the performance is not there. Well, I just don't want to shell another 200$ to see that my system is not performing the way I was expecting it. So are my reason to not do RAID 0. I would prefer get one of those Cheetah 15K.3 73.6gb or a Raptor 74gb instead.

Para

The benefit of striping drives for desktop (poweruser) usage is minimal (as demonstrated in the FAQ).  The benefit of using two drives independently can be significantly larger --if the data is distributed intelligently-- during multiple, concurrent I/O operations (which may be incurred by multitasking).

See this thread for a good discussion.  I link 4 other threads in it that can give you some detailed information.

Do well.

Jonathan Guilbault.

thanks for the info mate.Will have a look at it :)

Wow, kick ass system. Well, I originally bought 2 Cheetah X15 36LP 36.7gb for RAID 0 purpose. My goal was the same as yours. I was seeking for an Adaptec 2100S RAID controller but many people told me to not do this as I would gain very little or nothing at all. So, I have decided to hold my purchase. Now, I have 2 identical SCSI drives connected to an Adaptec 29160N. One for OS, the other, well, for backup. Yep, a 15K drive for backup purpose. What a waste of money.

I don't think that I will be of any help but at least, I am telling you what others told me a couple of months ago. I also only play games and surf the hardware forums just like you and lot of people told me that I would not gain anything by RAIDing my drives togheter. Now, I think that RAID 0 is just a gimmik for braggin right, especially for gamers like us. In the end, it seems like it is more wasted money for the "performance" it may bring.

Maybe should I have bought this 2100S controller anyway just to see if it is true that the performance is not there. Well, I just don't want to shell another 200$ to see that my system is not performing the way I was expecting it. So are my reason to not do RAID 0. I would prefer get one of those Cheetah 15K.3 73.6gb or a Raptor 74gb instead.

Para

Interesting.Mate my thoughts really are the same as yours.

Dunno what i am finally gonna end up doing.

I have found cheap however an atlas 10K III so i may just get that since its a bargain just to raid it with my other Atlas 10K III for storage :).

I really need to think about my moves now :)