smc23

Scsi For A Newb

Hi there,

I'm totally new to SCSI and was wondering what 32bit controller card and cables i need to start a 1 drive system?

BTW, which is more popular the 68pin or 80pin drives? I see U160 U320 I don't know?

www.hypermicro.com has had a special where you could buy a certain SCSI drive and get a free SCSI card. I took advantage of this deal last year and that's what I'm running. I just sent them an email asking if the special is still on and if so, which equipmet it applies to. I'll let you know after they tell me.

Likely the card is an LSI U160. It's 64-bit/33MHz and works in 32-bit PCI slots - that's what I'm doing. I saved $20 by getting an 80-pin drive since they include a free 80-to-68 pin adapter. You'll be fine with either pin count, just be sure to get a 68-pin LVD cable. Length/number of positions at your discretion.

And you won't be able to make use of U320 transfer speed unless you have 64-bit/66MHz PCI slots (the long ones) - in fact you won't hit U160 (160MB/s) unless you have two or three good drives transferring among themselves all at once.

The only thing to add to this is that the card may or may not come with an adequate cable. Probably the best cables are from here: http://www.granitedigital.com - terminators, too. Once of the nice things about their cables is that you can easily get a custom "perfect" cable for your case, with the correct lengths, etc. Also, if you are new to SCSI if you tell them what you have and what you are doing they will help guide you to the proper cable.

Thanks all for your help!

Here's what i chose so far from hyper micro. Is this all i need? I jst want to hook them all up when i get them and not worry if i need anything else.

[For Intel PC or equivalent]

Adaptec ASC-29160N, Ultra160 LVD SCSI-3, AIC-7892 chipset, 32-bit PCI PnP, busmastering transfer protocol, up to 15 targets, internal connectors: IDC 50(M) SE Ultra, Mini DB68(F) SE/LVD Ultra2/LVD Ultra160, external connector: Mini DB50(F) SE Ultra, whitebox kit includes: 5-position Mini DB68(M) TPE insulated twisted to flat ribbon cable, 3-position IDC 50(F) PVC insulated flat ribbon cable, internal LVD Mini DB68(F) terminator, manual, registration card and driver diskettes, OEM 1-year warranty.

$139

Seagate Cheetah 15K.3, 36.7 GB, Ultra320 Wide LVD SCSI-3, 15,000 RPM, 3.6 ms seek, 8 MB cache, A/V rated, 3.5" LP, 68 pin interface, 5-year warranty. $285.00

$285

There's also a 80pin that says 'Hot swap only' that is $20 cheaper. Would that work?

One more thing. Should i just wait? I hear a 15K.4 coming out soon? I only want to do this once.

BTW, is the 74Gb much faster than the 36Gb? I can't find anything from the archives.

THanks all this board rocks!

There's also a 80pin that says 'Hot swap only' that is $20 cheaper. Would that work?

Technically, yes. I have never been a fan of this approach, but others here seem to find it works out OK. The one that I see listed is showing as "Hot Swap Only" - the 68-80 is a refurb drive. Be careful there.

I personally would probably get the Atlas 15K for $10 more.

Do yourself a favor and save yourself a bundle of cash, and maybe anger too. Get the Maxtor Atlas 10K from Hypermicro, anything with a KW or TY model number. Mention the Storagereview promotion and you'll get a FREE U160 SCSI card too! It's from LSI, and you'll find it to be far less troublesome than the Adaptecs can be. They're cheaper anyway, and tend to actually include stuff like cables when bought alone. In this case you'll need to buy a cable as well, as I said earlier.

Actually I just got this email from Hypermicro:

Sorry we are sold out on the hard drives. The current promotion is :

Buy any of three Quantum SCSI drive and get free LSI LOGIC U160

controller. Please mention "free controller" in the comments field.