Sign in to follow this  
joe_chip

Small, Fast, Cheap Drive?

I'm upgrading my system to edit DV-encoded video, and I've decided upon several things already:

1) My current drive is crapping out, so it's getting tossed as soon as I can replace it

2) I'm going to get seperate drives for OS and video content.

3) I'll probably be getting a WD2500JD SATA for the video content because it's big, fast enough and it comes with a 3 year warranty which, while no guarantee of reliability, seems to me to be a good indicator that this will not crap out on me when I need it. Please feel free to make your own recommendation.

I'm looking for a drive to boot my OS and store my apps on. While at first I looked at the WD360GD, I decided it was total overkill because it was much too expensive per gigabyte of storage and I just don't need a drive that fast. Is there anything else that you guys could recommend for an OS/app drive? It doesn't necessarily have to be small, but it does have to be inexpensive and relatively fast. I would prefer SATA, but make IDE suggestions if you think you have a really good one.

If all you are doing is capturing/editing DV, then a recnet-model 5400RPM data drive is fine. Personally I'd get a lower-cost data drive and the 10K OS.

???

7200rpm drives are faster and dont usually carry a premium... plus there are more options. I see absolutely no reason to go out of my way to get a 5400rpm drive for my PC.

???

7200rpm drives are faster and dont usually carry a premium... plus there are more options. I see absolutely no reason to go out of my way to get a 5400rpm drive for my PC.

Well, if you can't get it for less and it is difficult for you, then why would you?

exactly, so why would you recomend a 5400rpm drive? or are you just stating the obvious that he could uase a drive that has a rotational speed of 5400rpm and it would work?

I've been doing some DV editing lately (not much), and I found things to be faster if your intermediate files can be on different drives.

That is, your data and OS being on one drive don't really hamper performance (unless you're doing something totally different at the same time, like websurfing or so). Writing from one drive to the other at each individual step in the editing really feels faster though.

Around here, the WD250JD goes for 220 euro, while two WD160JDs go for 250 euro. The combination is fast, and inexpensive at 30 euro extra...

Personally I'd opt for something with FDB motors. Seagate excels in building FDB motors, but in Europe they offer only 2yrs warranty. So lately I only bought Maxtor drives myself (they have 3yrs on all 8Mb/SATA models).

Hitachi have 3yrs for their 8Mb models too, and Samsung have it for all their drives (but offer no SATA).

and Samsung have it for all their drives (but offer no SATA).

I beg to differ.. I have seen many Samsung SATA drives, at least here in the USA.

exactly, so why would you recomend a 5400rpm drive?

Go back and read it again - I did not recommend one, and just because it is difficult for you, does not mean that it is for him, anyway. If I did suggest a 5400 RPM drive it would be because of capacity, as 300G 7200RPM drives are not widely available in retail.

Out of curiosity, is English a second language for you?

or are you just stating the obvious that he could uase a drive that has a rotational speed of 5400rpm and it would work?

Similarly, just because you know that a 5400 RPM drive would work, that does not mean that he does. You were not the one requesting advice, were you, so who the hell cares what you know?

What I recommended was that the money/performance be on the OS drive, which was a suggestion intended to inform and assist...something that seems lacking in your sniping.

and Samsung have it for all their drives (but offer no SATA).

I beg to differ.. I have seen many Samsung SATA drives, at least here in the USA.

Oops, I stand corrected. I couldn't see them on a Dutch listing...

The warranty information is right though, at least for Europe.

btb4, thank you for all your informed advice, I appreciate it a lot. blakerwry just seems to be the latest in a recent rash of (ignorant, belligerent) trolls that have invaded this board.

I would now like to refine my question a bit.

How large of a drive should I get for my video data? I know this question is sort of vague given that you don't know how much video I'll be shooting, but then, I don't really know, either. I won't be doing any professional videography, this is just a personal thing. I have a feeling that any footage that I don't immediately need to load into a project will be just fine on DV tapes in case I need it in the future. Am I right in this assumption?

Also, someone else here has mentioned getting a drive for data and a drive for intermediate files so the data drive doesn't get bogged down in simultaneous reads and writes when rendering. What advice do you have to offer about the feasability or necessity of such a set up?

Thanks again to everyone here who has posted advice. blakerwry, please stop trolling my thread.

joe, that 'troll' is a regular with more than 3000 posts who was trying to save you from buying a slow disk because of another's poor recommendation. he should be thanked.

Hi,

I am sorry to say this and I mean nothing against Blakerwry or other "regulars", whose knowledge and contribution to this forum is to be valued, but being a "regular" or having 2.000-6.000 posts does not mean somebody's advise should be taken as THE advise or that his point of view is always correct. If this is the approach then it is in my opinion the wrong one. If there is a status to be assigned and based on the frequency of someone's presence and ultimately on the number of posts he may have, then I stand against it. Please NO Flames, this is just my view of the matter whether you share it or not.

regards,

Cristiano

Sorry, for our topic starter I forgot to mention that there is nothing wrong in my view with buying a decent 5400 Rpm drive even if for some peope they may somewhat be overcome. HOWEVER, if you ARE actually interested in some extra performance, and judging by the work you do it certainly would not harm, then a quicker 7200 Rpm drive may indeed be the better choice.

Regards,

Cristiano

... being a "regular" or having 2.000-6.000 posts does not mean somebody's advise should be taken as THE advise or that his point of view is always correct...

I don't think that's what honold implied. What he implied was that if you look at the overall body of blakerwry's work here, that he is generally not a troll. The reason he mentioned the 3000 posts was so that you would know it is a large sample, gathered over a long time, and therefore a trustworthy indicator.

-- Rick

I don't think that's what honold implied.  What he implied was that if you look at the overall body of blakerwry's work here, that he is generally not a troll.  The reason he mentioned the 3000 posts was so that you would know it is a large sample, gathered over a long time, and therefore a trustworthy indicator.

precisely.

trolls are not respected members of communities with large post counts. while i agree with his advice, i would have agreed with a first post if he said it as well. i only felt it useful to point out what should be obvious, that trolls do not have thousands of posts and remain welcome.

I don't think that's what honold implied.  What he implied was that if you look at the overall body of blakerwry's work here, that he is generally not a troll.  The reason he mentioned the 3000 posts was so that you would know it is a large sample, gathered over a long time, and therefore a trustworthy indicator.

-- Rick

I agree with that indeed. I also think Honold did not mean it that way. My statement was more of general character to indicate that it takes more to be widely recognized and accepted in ANY forums than solely the number of your posts or contributions.

Regards,

Cristiano

joe, that 'troll' is a regular with more than 3000 posts who was trying to save you from buying a slow disk because of another's poor recommendation.  he should be thanked.

I'm quite knowledgable of the fact that a 5400 RPM disk is slower than a 7200 RPM one. I don't need "saving" from some ignorant dickhead who decides to butt in without the least knowledge of the subject at hand. It is quite true that I do not need a fast disk to store DV content, which is something that, while reading these forums, I have observed that both you and blakerwry fail to understand. I will not offer my interpretation of btb4's advice because I understood what he meant, and that's all that really matters to me.

I hereby request that nobody else posts stupid dickhead responses tearing others down while offering little to nothing in the way of their knowledge of the subject.

Perhaps I should just PM btb4 next time I have a question, it will probably work better than posing my question where serial-posting idiot regulars (I'm looking at you and blakerwry most pointedly here) can stinker all over it with their half-knowledge of the subject and a few cups of caffiene in them. At least a troll only pretends to be an idiot.

To everybody else here, thank you for being constructive.

7200rpm drives are faster and dont usually carry a premium...

getting something for nothing.... I like that.

plus there are more options.

variety is good.

I see absolutely no reason to go out of my way to get a 5400rpm drive for my PC.

I dont work harder to get less. My personal opinion.

I thought it was constructive. Thank you Honold and Rick. I have been on this forum since before the great failure. If you notice, I am not just a member, I am a patron. I have given money and time to help make SR a better place. I post here because I think it will help people and I enjoy the discussion.

Feel free to do and think what you like.

how colorful.

you may note that i did recommend a specific drive, the fastest 7200rpm drive available. you may also note that this information was easily obtainable by looking at the leaderboard.

people often drop 8mb drives out of consideration for raid 5 arrays because the extra cache seems to have little benefit for that particular application. people often employ 5400rpm drives for storage-only purposes, because the time spent copying as compared to a 7200rpm is understandably not that vexing.

what these people fail to consider is the fact that arrays get broken up for whatever reason. storage drives become insufficient. in short, hard drives get repurposed. when this occurs, the person will want to kick themselves for saving a trivial amount of money when they could have much more usable or resellable drives for the drive's future (now present) usage.

How large of a drive should I get for my video data? I know this question is sort of vague given that you don't know how much video I'll be shooting, but then, I don't really know, either.

i'm being generous when i say that it is difficult to offer recommendations to people who, by their own admission, do not understand their needs.

there is a wealth of information in the archives of this forum at your disposal, even after the probable event of your account deletion as a result of your childish tirade.

joe, I really think your tirade was uncalled for. But let's just drop the whole misunderstanding and carry on on-topic.

I too think that at the current state of technology, there would hardly be any reasons to get 5400rpm drives still.

I have a feeling that any footage that I don't immediately need to load into a project will be just fine on DV tapes in case I need it in the future.

Yes, actually people even use DV as a backup medium (see dvbackup at sourceforge). Your data will be pretty safe. If your camera has a two-way firewire port you can write the edited pieces back to tape.

Also, someone else here has mentioned getting a drive for data and a drive for intermediate files so the data drive doesn't get bogged down in simultaneous reads and writes when rendering. What advice do you have to offer about the feasability or necessity of such a set up?

As I said, I don't have much experience. It works well with Virtualdub.

Necessity? No. Some steps are mostly limited by raw CPU power. But with some simpler filtering or just muxing audio, it's a real time saver. And as I said, it doesn't cost so much.

Reluctantly continuing this thread....

FWIW: While I was annoyed that I was seemingly contradicted for no particular reason, particularly when I never suggested this person actually get a 5400RPM drive, and when the main gist of my suggestion was ignored - get the good OS drive, which was also the entire point to the topic as created by the person seeking advice - I do not think that the extreme of "dickhead" is appropriate to the response. "Startled" is more like it, particularly when the parties involved are generally far more constructive than on this particular thread.

There was a very similar thread fairly recently that might be more constructive at this point:

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=13500

Or not (in case it might somehow somewhere make someone think I was suggesting buying more expensive gear than they needed or whatever it is I am supposed to have done).