Sign in to follow this  
munman

Raid 1 Or 10 ? Much Improvement?

Hi. I juct put together a file server for home use to serve up MP3, photos, and miscellaneous other to a maximum of 5 users.

I bought 2 WD WD2500JD 250GB SATA drives and now am running them in RAID 1(Intel ICH5R) on a Gigabyte GA-8KNXP motherboard (using the onboard SATA). I have noticed more lag than I like when accessing my sizeable MP3 collection on the RAID array. I am running a 10/100 switched network.

My question is - would I notice a significant performance increase with say a 3WARE 8506-4LP card, running in RAID 10? I don't anticipate ever needing more than 4 drives.

Any thoughts?

mp3s take what at worst 40KB/sec? with 5 users that is a wopping 200KB/sec. I think even the 250GB WD is capable of that much data transfer even on highly random accesses.

Your slowness is probably due to a software mis-configuration.

The main suspect here sounds like it might be SMB/windows shares. But I wont know more unless you tell me what you mean by lag. I suspect you're talking about either displaying the list of shares or the contents of the shares. If so, then there is a fix for each of these problems.

Yes, I am saying that there is delay/hestation on displaying the contents of the shares. Actually accessing and playing an MP3 is not the issue.

Thanks for you help.

blakerwry: Disable webclient service on each client that runs WINXP? That won't adversely affect other areas?

sharkeeper: Unfortunately, the OS on the server is WinXP Pro. I know that there are others that are much better, but I don't own anything else. If I were to purchase something, what do you recommend? I am comfortable with WinXp Pro, and don't really want a long learning curve on another OS, but who knows I might give it a try.

Thanks for your replies!

as far as I can tell the webclient service does nothing important.. it seems to have been invented with winXP and the only thing that I have found it to do is slow down the listing of the contents of a share. I've disabled it on several computers with only beneficial effects.

I your slowness comes from browsing the computers on a network or displaying the list of shares on a computer then webclient is probably not related.

winXP will be fine for upto 10 SMB connections(i think that's the limit). It's also decently fast. I'd stick with it because I think it will handle your needs and it's very easy to administer. If you want something better then go linux/SAMBA. A mandrake 9.2 or fedora redhat setup with SAMA and webmin will make it about as easy on you as you can get when learning a new OS. But it will take you some time to learn.