FuNPoLiCe001

Toshiba 7200 Rpm Notebook Hd

Hello, long time lurker, first time poster here...

I know that Toshiba had plans to release a 7200 rpm notebook HD with 16 meg cache, and I didn't think it was out yet, until I went to browse Anandtech, and I found this link in one of their ads

Toshiba 7200 RPM notebook HD for sale

It's the MK-5024GAY (haha...i wonder who came up with this model #...maybe they thought, "well, GAX...next letter is Y, so GAY" without seriously looking at it)

Price looks very good, but I can't find anything on the net about it, so I was wondering if anyone's had any sort of experience with it. Particularly how it comes with the Hitachi 7K60

What an unfortunate naming convention. :rolleyes:

I've been half wondering what AMD will do about the codename to the successor to the K8 (Opteron).

Or a real "dog"

::ducks::

:moan:

If my experience with the 5400 rpm Toshiba is at all representative of what you might expect, watch out for that noisy actuator. The damn thing clicks and clunks so much I was seriously contemplating selling it on eBay and getting an IBM/ Hitachi 40GNX to replace it. The Hitachi Travelstar 7k60 is known for being a fantastic drive with a well-behaved actuator, so I would get that unless you feel like rolling the dice on the Toshiba.

The damn thing clicks and clunks so much I was seriously contemplating selling it on eBay and getting an IBM/ Hitachi 40GNX to replace it.

You'd be happier with the 5K80 I think. Double the platter density of the 40GNX, and according to Hitachi's specs, much quieter (40GB 5K80: 21dB idle/26dB seek. 40GB 40GNX: 25dB idle/31dB seek).

Oh, I'm sure I would have, kreativ. Sorry for not being more clear, but I was thinking back to the time shortly after I bought the Toshiba MK4019GAX, which was spring 2003. The 5k80 wasn't around yet.

Come to think of it, though, by the time the 5k80 was generally available, I would have also known about the 7k60, and probably would have wanted to wait a couple months to get a 7k60 instead. :P

This drive has been available since march '03 on the Japanese market. I don't understand why Toshiba did not make more noise about it, especially in view of HGST's issuing their (somewhat larger) drive a quarter later

Yéti

FWIW, I have one of these scheduled to arrive tomorrow (1-22-04). I might not get a chance to play with it until the weekend, but I'll post my subjective impressions and maybe Winbench results when I get it up and running.

Oops! I wasn't clear. I've got a Toshiba MK5024GAY coming in. It is intended to replace a 30GB HGST 4200 r.p.m. drive (80GN series?), so I'm hopeful that the difference will be subjectively noticable.

Could be worse - us sailors have to walk into bars and order a "Mt. Gay and tonic". Damned rum company sponsors a bunch of Carribean sailboat races, and their distinctive red logo hats are a mark of a true sailor here in the East...you can't buy them, can only get them by sailing in the races themselves.

But back to notebook drives, Mr. Moderator...

Future Shock

Oops! I wasn't clear. I've got a Toshiba MK5024GAY coming in. It is intended to replace a 30GB HGST 4200 r.p.m. drive (80GN series?), so I'm hopeful that the difference will be subjectively noticable.

I am very curious to see how your drive works out. My dell (30GB drive) really would like a new and FAST hdd :D

I've got an older IBM Thinkpad with a 6GB drive (4500rpm i think) - would it be possible to stick in a 5400 or that 7200 rpm drive? what about heat - the thing is pretty hot as it is - i'd be worried that it would kill the machine with a hotter drive in it. I though Tom's had an article about 7200 laptop drives some time ago - said that they drained batteries faster and caused more heat.

Hi

A modern 5400 RPM drive, and possible even 7200RPM drive will generate less heat and use less power than an elderly 6GB 4400RPM device in my experience. I replaced a sad old 4GB drive with a 40GB 5k80 and found the laptop got a little less warm. Can't swear to the 7200RPM drive though. Cheers,

Dave

Ok, finally got a chance to install the Toshiba in my cheapo HP laptop (ZE5460US: P4 2.4, 512MB, UMA Radeon, XP Home). Subjectively, the laptop is much more responsive (close to my Dell Dimension 2.4 desktop); I'm not going to keep the 2x512MB SODIMMS I also purchased. Swapping the HD improved responsiveness more than adding the extra RAM. I'd credit much of the improvement to the 16MB cache, rather than the increased STR and reduced latency.

On the noise front, it is slightly more noticable on seeks, but nothing to cause distress. The cooling fan(s) are much more noticable.

Here are a couple of mostly meaningless benchmarks (system was not optimized for benchmarking - background processes and such):

Old Hitatchi (IBM) 30GB:

hdtach-ibm.GIF

ibm-64K.gif

New Toshiba 50GB:

hdtach-tosh.GIF

tosh-64k.gif

Ok, finally got a chance to install the Toshiba in my cheapo HP laptop (ZE5460US: P4 2.4, 512MB, UMA Radeon, XP Home). Subjectively, the laptop is much more responsive (close to my Dell Dimension 2.4 desktop); I'm not going to keep the 2x512MB SODIMMS I also purchased. Swapping the HD improved responsiveness more than adding the extra RAM. I'd credit much of the improvement to the 16MB cache, rather than the increased STR and reduced latency.

regardless of the benchies, reading your SUBJECTIVE account makes me want to get one of them bad boys!

Seems a good aftermarket solution for my future sluggish Toshiba Satellite M30 (4200rpm HDD this one!). :rolleyes:

Excellent site, thank you! :)

Side by side with HyperMicro.

What an unfortunate naming convention.  :rolleyes:

I've been half wondering what AMD will do about the codename to the successor to the K8 (Opteron).

Intel ran into that problem...

They had been using just numbers for their processors (286, 386, 486,) when they got a ruling against them stating that numbers couldn't be trademarked. So they resorted to names. The next processor on their list was their fifth generation processor. It should have been called 586, but that was ruled out so they could trademark it. What did they come up with? They decided to use the Greek word for five, pente. Hence, Pentium.

Well, they later added some extensions to it, and made it the Pentium MMX.

In the meantime, they were developing their sixth generation processor. 686 wasn't even considered, so back to the drawing board. Well, after using Greek for the 5th generation, why not use Greek for this one? So we have... Hexium! Wait, that won't work. Nobody wants to be hexed... So maybe we switch to Latin, and hope nobody notices? Now unveiling the... Sexium! Woah. No way THAT one is going to fly.

How about we just append 'Pro' to it. Yeah, that sounds good.

(Further, the Pentium II was just the 6th generation core with MMX added, the Pentium III then added more extensions, called SSE. The Xeon were just Pentium II and Pentium III processors with more L2 cache, and the Celeron was the same, with less L2 cache. Later, the 7th generation core was named Pentium 4 (awww.. Not Heptium?), and subsequent Xeons and Celerons have been based on this core.)