mmganga

Usb 2.0 Dvd-r On Usb 1.1 Computer

Hi, is the above even remotely possible? I back up many computers in my group, and we're contemplating getting a DVD-R, but many of the systems are older and only have USB 1.1.

Could it be done if I accepted to take a penalty hit on the performance?

Thanks,

M.

It'll work... but its unlikely to be workable...

Meaning you'll be able to read media just fine, but I suspect that burning would be soooo slow that it'll either create coasters or just take forever...

USB 2.0 cards are cheap. Honestly Id suggest you invest in one... That'll save you a lot of headache...

Ok, good points made, thanks everybody.

We already have a CD-RW and it can work USB or parallel at different speeds, and currently backs up research data for over 30 systems (which include laptops, desktops, etc.).

Basically one would need a USB2/Firewire card in each of the systems and PCMCIA cards in the laptops. Am I right?

M.

well, it may or may not work. The USB spec defines that the device enumerates differently if it is running in low speed.

This means that it might still work, just at a slow speed. If the interface speed is too slow, then the driver will tell you that the device cannot work with a full-speed USB interface and prompt you to eject the device.

In reality, I would not put my money on it working. Couldn't you connect it to one PC and then map it as a network drive?

For USB2 connections, use the motherboard USB2 port if you have them. USB2 cards connected via the PCI bus tend to be much slower.

Our benchmarking has shown on-board ports can be as quick as 320 Mbit/s, however USB2 PCI cards are lucky to get to 180 Mbit/s. (of course 180 Mbit/s should still be fine for DVD burning)

-----

David

PassMark Software

www.passmark.com

Thanks guys, I appreciate all the feedback.

Some of the systems are on the network, some are not.

I'm just looking for the most flexibility to connect such different systems to a backup device (in this case external DVD-R). Speed is not an issue, I mean hopefully it can be as fast as possible, but if we had to use 1.1 speeds on some computers it would not be a problem.

Anyway it looks like I will get the external 2.0 + Firewire version and will see whether it works on the older systems...

Thanks guys,

M.