Sign in to follow this  
faccia1

Hard Drive Problem

I have a Asus P2B mainboard W/Intel 440BX AGP chip set, it came with Ultra DMA/33 Bus Master IDE. It had a 6GB Maxtor 5400 RPM hard drive that has developed many bad sectors and needs to be replaced. I need some help deciding what to replace it with. Are there any limitationsas to as to size (40-80 GB), speed 5400 vs 7200 RPM, and what about the Ultra DMA/33, I saw someware that oleder MBs cant handel drives over ( I think) 30 GB, all the drives I see now are DMA/133. Any advice anyone can give me would be greatly appreciated. Thanks Faccia1 :unsure:

The motherboard is probably limited to 128GB drives, and even that may require a BIOS update. BIOS updates may allow it to use drives larger than that, if the board is well supported by its manufacturer/vendor. Some OSs can still use the larger drive regardless of what BIOS says.

Many larger drives have a jumper to force big drives to report themselves as a smaller, more manageable size. I would get a 128GB or smaller drive anyway, as if 6GB worked well for you, anything larger than 128 would likely be useless and a waste of money.

I would visit the manufacturer's website to see what drive sizes are reported.

Alternatively, you could purchase a drive that comes with a controller, or purchase a low-cost Promise or similar IDE controller, and not have to worry about any BIOS limitations.

IDE devices are generally backwards-compatible, so an ATA133 or ATA100 drive will work fine. Serial ATA will not (unless you buy a serial ATA controller).