honold

For All The Abit Haters

Hi,

thanks for the interesting link. It is not about ABIT haters though or ASUS lovers since ABIT motherboards have improved steadily over the years and have in my opinion come up to reach ASUS's quality and stability. That is something that could not always be claimed 5-7 years ago. Then again every mobo, regardless of the maker had and will have its "own" history, which may (or not) be successful.

Curious though to see how Asus will deal with the problem. I find it admirable though that they have made this recall pretty soon. Indeed it can happen to everyone!

Regards,

Cris

Good link. Capacitor problems happened to a Gigabyte board I've used as well.

Abit still sucks, of course, but it's good to know this can happen to any manufacturer--keeps us on our toes.

I have loved every single one of my Abit motherboards. I cannot say this about my Asus A7v though. Then again my Asus P2BLS was fun, so also the P2L or whatever their LX chipset board was called.... I really do not see much of a difference between the two companies at the moment. I'd buy either one...

i'm not sure what my first abit board was, maybe the bx6? i've had a ton of them, still use them today. my last board was a th7-ii, present one is an ic7.

Supplier problem. Quality seems somtimes compromised in certain grades of caps., might suspiciously be smaller ones. MSI is longtime proponent of large caps, which in supplers standpoint, might be a notch better in quality; albeit its weaknesses in other aspects.

The capacitor problem was not limited to any single manufacturer, but affected every mainboard company out there, even electronics companies outside the IT business. The root cause was that several Taiwanese companies flooded the market with cheap replicas of Japanese capacitors. Unfortunately, they made a mistake copying the formula for the ingredients of the electrolyte, causing it to evaporate prematurely.

There was an article about this in German c't magazine (issue 21/03). Just in case someone here reads it...

I learned the hard way to stick with Tyan (or Intel).

This is hardly a first for ASUS - does anyone remember the PC2000 mobo about 3 years ago? They completely botched the recall - I am still "waiting" for my replacements. I gave up trying to communicate with the company years ago.

ASUS is horrible with warranty support, it takes litterly months to get a replacement. We wont sell ASUS motherboards, unless the distributor carries the warranty for the full term (some only carry for 30 days after shipment)

i'm not sure what my first abit board was, maybe the bx6?  i've had a ton of them, still use them today.  my last board was a th7-ii, present one is an ic7.

Mine was an IT5-H 430 HX board. Had a P200 running at 292. 256MB of EDO (EDO DIMM + Simms). Was a monster for its day.

Frank

this is the reason I stick with Tyan and Supermicro

i've never run into a cap problem, and i'm pretty sure i've saved billions over the years buying abit over tyan/supermicro

I've ran into the cap problem with abit.. I think the caps on my former soyo look a little bulged, but it runs fine... no leaks.

i'm not sure what my first abit board was, maybe the bx6?  i've had a ton of them, still use them today.  my last board was a th7-ii, present one is an ic7.

Heh, I still have a BX6-r2. Nice to see that Slot-1 can run at 1300 MHz....

Jan

Supplier problem. Quality seems somtimes compromised in certain grades of caps., might suspiciously be smaller ones.  MSI is longtime proponent of large caps, which in supplers standpoint, might be a notch better in quality; albeit its weaknesses in other aspects.

Oh, yeah, size has everything to do with it...NOT

I recently swapped out an MSI motherboard that failed due to bulging capacitors, so MSI is not Immune. Unfortunately for me, I replaced it with a similar MSI board - what a piece of crap that was. It works, but took a while to iron out the stability problems. I expect that one too will fail due to bulging caps, since I do not believe MSI is buying any better quality caps than Asus.

As for abit, my first was the IT5H - I loved that board. I've had several since. I have never been disapointed with Abit boards. The Asus boards I have had have been crappy, except for the PA-5 which is still used. That was my first Asus board, none that I have had since have come close to it in my eyes - buggy, crappy ide performance, etc..blah blah blah.

Fortunately for Abit users, Abit only uses Japanese caps in there boards. That was how they responded to the industry wide problems of faulty caps due to bad electrolyte a couple years ago. Clearly Asus did not choose the right corrective action.

I've had 2 bad ASUS A7V8X-X boards. Returned one, picked up another and it was bad. Ended up trying the NF7-S. Worked like a charm immediately, liked it so much in fact I replaced another leadtek board I had in my second PC with another NF7-S. Again absolutely no problem at all with the board. Been running them both awhile now, overlclocking one, using on board SATA raid. Absolutely zero stability problems or other issues.

All I had heard before this was Asus was the best way to go... well.. think I'm going to give Abit a few more upgrades :)

I like the NF7-S feature set and find it to be a nice board except for the time I got one that was DOA. The only other board that was flaky/DOA for me recently was the ECS K7S5A Pro. So far, the Soltek 75FRN2-L has been the best board for me over the past year and a half. Good price for what you get and rock-solid. The only drawback I've found with this board is its crappy NB fan. Replace it with a Zalman heatsink and you're set.

i'm not sure what my first abit board was, maybe the bx6? i've had a ton of them, still use them today. my last board was a th7-ii, present one is an ic7.

I've had a:

1. LX6

2. BH6 which ran my 300A celeron at 450MHz (my first overclock). This system has been running fine until this year when it's 128Meg RAM started slowing things down. I had a IBM 9ES 7200RPM SCSI HD on it, with a trusty 2940UW controller. A great PC in it's time, and a lot cheaper then the 400-500 MHz P3's at the time.

3. My current system has the NF7-S in it.

Never a problem with any of them

This is hardly a first for ASUS - does anyone remember the PC2000 mobo about 3 years ago? They completely botched the recall - I am still "waiting" for my replacements. I gave up trying to communicate with the company years ago.

Hell yes! It was the P3C2000 using the i820 MTH (SDRAM). Such a silly arrangement that was. Never got compensated either. If that wasn't enough, I got burned yet again with a P4S8X. Asus has been crossed off the list.

SuperMicro makes a great workstation board.

Cheers!

Oops, no edit...

Anyways, that would be FOUR years ago...

I bought those boards in January of 2000.

Time flies when you're busy. I remember installing Windows 2000 final on those systems.

Cheers!

The only board I've had trouble with was an Abit KT7A. RMA, RMA again and again and then sold it. It's the only Abit I ever used though. Still, I'd rather buy MSI, AOpen or Intel.

To balance this hive of evil Abit users, a friend of mine purchased an Abit board which "supports ECC memory", so he could use his existing two 512MB DIMMs of ECC memory for a home server and be able to use their error checking features.

Oops.

yeah, my Soyo dragon + made calims of supporting ECC... I bought a 256MB ECC DIMM for the price of a normal 512MB one.... didn't work.

The system would boot, but was completely unstable. Later, soyo revised their manual and fixed the mistake.

i still have that DIMM.... I think it cost almost $200 at the time. AT one point I successfully used it in a shuttle board, but mostly it's been unused.