Gooberslot

Did I Get Another Bad Samsung?

would you please tell me more about these failed drives? how the Reallocated Sector Count evolved with time? what values did you got?

As none of the drives were in any of my personal computers I was not able to monitor their progression. All of the affected drives were in computers that I had built for other people. Typically what would happen is that someone would ring me up and say something like "Windows just told me that my hard drive may have developed bad sectors and wants to do a full surface scan, what should I do" and it would scan and maybe find maybe one bad sector. At first I told people not to worry about it (because at that stage I was still very confident about Seagate drives), but within a week or two the drive would be totally unreadable, even to the point where data recovery was extremely difficult. Naturally I was soon telling people to immediately swtich off the computer when it occured and to bring it in for exchange and possible data recovery.

I've asked Samsung support about the Spin-up Time. According to them, it doesn't mean anything.

Yes, I'd previously come to the conclusion that this parameter is probably not a very significant indicator of drive health. BTW, I just checked up on a few 80Gig single platter Samsungs and it seems that after a few days operation all mine have gone to about 70 to 75 on the spin up time and there they seem stable. All of these drives are single drives on the primary IDE channel.

I have an 80gb samsung SV0813H (5400rpm) with the ball bearings. It makes a whine starting up so I think it's normal. The drive when touching it does not vibrate at all. It has gotten louder over the year I've had it but that's because the bearings get louder on them as they get older and it's normal. Samsungs have very low seek error rates like somebody mentioned earlier while other drive's SMART goes crazy on them. I think every drive is different in the way they act so smart flips out on some normal things. So it is normal for a drive to whine a little when booting up. As long as it stops right away it is fine. If it whines when it's on the whole time that would be bad (i.e failing bearings)

My SUT jumped up to 69. I think I got those real low spin up times(51-52) because I wasn't letting my drive spin down completely before powering back up. Now I wait 15-30 secs and everything seems to have stabilized and even improved. Whine's still there though and maybe slightly worse. I think I'd rather have had the vibration that arga has. :(

I'd just like add that my WD has a T.E.C. of 9/7/2005, I wonder how high it'll go. I know it doesn't mean anything but it is amusing.

My SUT jumped up to 69.  I think I got those real low spin up times(51-52) because I wasn't letting my drive spin down completely before powering back up.  Now I wait 15-30 secs and everything seems to have stabilized and even improved.

It's definitely a good idea to leave the power off for about 30 seconds (or even more) before powering back on. It can be very detremental to some systems to have power breifly cut, for just a few seconds, and then re-applied.

Whine's still there though and maybe slightly worse. I think I'd rather have had the vibration that arga has.

I also have some amount of whinning in my P80. I don't worry too much.

I have come to realize that fdb motors always emmit more or less whinning.

I have a 18 month old Seagate BATA IV that has developed a fairly strong whinning,very high pitched. But in this case, I am a bit worried because, if my memory serves, it wasn't there when I bought the drive. This drive also has 18 reallocated sectors, although SeaTools diagnostics were passed ok.

The funny thing about all these whines is that they are so high-pitched, that some people can't hear them. The evaluation is quite subjective, and this is probably why people have different results. (For example, my right ear is more sensitive to high-frequency sound than my left ear).

Also, to add complication, there are differences between different units of the same model.

Even more, some drives emmit the whinning forward, others backward.

And there is a big difference between having the drive with open case or with closed case.

----

update about my P80 replacement:, I haven't ordered the replacement yet. I want to test my new V80 for some time, before dumping the P80 data into the V80.

@uart:

As none of the drives were in any of my personal computers I was not able to monitor their progression. All of the affected drives were in computers that I had built for other people. Typically what would happen is that someone would ring me up and say something like "Windows just told me that my hard drive may have developed bad sectors and wants to do a full surface scan, what should I do" and it would scan and maybe find maybe one bad sector. At first I told people not to worry about it (because at that stage I was still very confident about Seagate drives), but within a week or two the drive would be totally unreadable, even to the point where data recovery was extremely difficult.

but then, it was Windows that reported the bad sectors? not any smart utility?

maybe Windows report errors too late, when things are very wrong. Having a smart utility (i.e., freeware HDDHEALTH) you can monitor it closer.

I have an 80gb samsung SV0813H (5400rpm) with the ball bearings. It makes a whine starting up so I think it's normal. The drive when touching it does not vibrate at all. It has gotten louder over the year I've had it but that's because the bearings get louder on them as they get older and it's normal.

I have a Samsung V40 (SV8004H), ball bearings, 80GB, 2 platters. I have just cheched, at spinup, and there is only a bit of spinup whinning, and then stops.

Irrelevant compared with the middle-pitched ball bearing noise, which is fairly strong.

This one vibrates strongly compared with my new drives, but remember that I am very demanding with vibrations. When I say "strong vibration", maybe I am exaggerating. :)

It's definitely a good idea to leave the power off for about 30 seconds (or even more) before powering back on. It can be very detremental to some systems to have power breifly cut, for just a few seconds, and then re-applied.

Good advice because when your system shuts off the platters still spin down for 15 seconds until they stop and cutting the power and having them spin down and then quickly power on thrashes the drive and causes it to go from spinning down to stopping to spinning back up too quick and it's bad for it.

I put the cover back on my case and I could still hear it. So I took the drive out of the case and hooked it up to an old AT power supply to see what it sounded like without the case. It was about the same so the case must not have been blocking much noise. One thing I disovered was that the drive also makes a quiet shhh noise like a fan but of course that doesn't bother me. The whine however is very high-pitched and seems to cut through everything. It's not extremely loud, although I could hear it from at least 6 feet away when not in the case, but it's such a high-pitched noise that it makes it extra annoying. Have you ever turned on a TV and heard a high-pitched noise come from it? Well it's kinda like that.

Also, I got a chance to hear the startup noise. If I'd heard it like that to begin with without all the other stuff in my computer distorting it I never would have worried about it since it's obviously just normal spin up noise.

I thought that the high-pitched noise was easy to block. In fact, when I place my hand in front of my ear, I can normally block these noises.

You say you can still hear it with closed case? is it placed in an open front 5,25" bay? then perhaps you should close the opening too (but in such way that it still can breath enough). Maybe you have to close all openings at the front bays, not just the hard drive opening.

I have seen that Samsung sells retail drives (with retail package). These drives will travel protected from the manufacturing plant. I wonder if they will be more silent than the others.

Also, you can give Seagate Barracuda a try. In my experience, they have lower whine than the Samsungs... well, except one of my Seagates, that was silent at the beginning, but now it has the strongest whine of all my fdb disks. But note that Seagates are more expensive, only 1-year warranty, and I have frequent SMART alerts due to fluctuating values in Raw Read Error Rate, and also a few reallocated sectors.