Gooberslot

Did I Get Another Bad Samsung?

This is an edited version of a post I made in the Aricle Feedback section. I didn't get any comments there so I thought I'd try here.

Well I just got my replacement 120gig P80 back from Newegg and it passes the diagnostic tests but it has some differences compared to the first one. The most disturbing difference is that when it spins up it makes a high-pitched noise. It only lasts a second or two but it still worries me. Also, the previous drive had a pretty noticeable hum whereas this one doesn't. On the other hand, this one seems to have a whine. I have to shut my cpu fan off to hear it but it's there. It's possible the other one had the whine too and that I just couldn't hear it over the hum but I doubt it was as loud even if it did. Did I get another bad one? Should I be worried?

Also, are there any programs that can force a drive to spin-down so I can compare the loudness?

i'd take a guess that a hum is soft and blends with the background while a whine is piercing and seperates itself from the background noise.

Yeah, the hum was low-pitched but quite noticeable the whine is high-pitched and only noticeable if I put my ear on the same level as the drive. What worries me is that the drives are different and I'm not sure which is the correct one. Judging from the review on this site I'd say SR got the hum one since it was louder.

Well I just got my replacement 120gig P80 back from Newegg and it passes the diagnostic tests but

Just to get the context of this thread right, was the previous drive replaced because it made too much noise or did it die ? In what manner did it die ?

Well I just got my replacement 120gig P80 back from Newegg and it passes the diagnostic tests but

Just to get the context of this thread right, was the previous drive replaced because it made too much noise or did it die ? In what manner did it die ?

Yeah, it is not apparent from what has been written that anything was wrong with either of the drives, merely that they made noise that bothered you. I have yet to see a drive that was completely silent. If you gotta put you ear up against the drive to hear it, sounds pretty darn quiet to me. I'm hearing a whing noise coming from other than the drive, if you get my meaning.

Yeah, it is not apparent from what has been written that anything was wrong with either of the drives, merely that they made noise that bothered you. I have yet to see a drive that was completely silent. If you gotta put you ear up against the drive to hear it, sounds pretty darn quiet to me. I'm hearing a whing noise coming from other than the drive, if you get my meaning.

"You" meaning goobersnot, not uart. I am supporting Uart with my post, questioning the original poster, not questiong Uart.

Just in case that was not clear.

I had a P40 that seemed as if it wasn't balanced properly - it hummed quite loudly, and made the whole case resonate.

It's been reliable for over a year like that, though it sits in a machine that I don't have to listen to. :)

I sent the first one back because it failed the Check M.C. test in Samsungs Hutil program. This one passes.

Also, has anyone noticed that that Hutil program has an option for AAM? I wonder if it does anything.

My P80 has both a whinning (high frequency) and a humming (low frequency), but both very slight. I am sure this is normal.

The most disturbing difference is that when it spins up it makes a high-pitched noise.

note that, fluid-bearing motors (at least it happens with my Seagate Barracudas) make some amount of noise when spinning up, but after spinning up, the noise dissapears like magic. I think the P80 will behave the same, but I can't test now my P80, sorry.

I ran HUTIL on my P80, and I found an uncorrectable sector.

I don't know if this is dangerous. I e-mailed Samsung 2 weeks ago to ask and I still no reply. This is sad, because Samsung's e-mail was very responsive a few months ago. Maybe Samsung's webpage has some problem (I sent the e-mail filling the web-form).

update: I have just tested my P80:

during spinning up (a few seconds), it makes more noise than afterwards. The spinning-up noise is mainly high-pitched. After spinning up, a very high frequency noise remains, but quite subtle.

The effect is more accused in the Barracudas. The spin-up noise is higher, and you see a big reduction after spin-up.

After spin-up, my P80 is a bit louder than the Barracudas, but nothing serius.

My Samsung V80 (5400rpm) is the most silent of all.

Also, has anyone noticed that that Hutil program has an option for AAM? I wonder if it does anything.

Yes, I noticed, but not tested it. According to HUTIL, my AAM was disabled. Anyway, the seeks are pretty silent, and I like to hear them :)

Thanks arga, your information has been very helpful.

Upon further testing I've discovered that the whine is louder than I originally thought. I can hear it from at least 18-24" away if my ear is pointing at it and the cpu fan is off(need quieter fan). I can't test any further because my head is against the wall at that point. It must be extremely high frequency because it's like a laser beam. It disappears when my ear is no longer pointing at it. In comparison my almost 5 year old 5400rpm WD 30gig is much louder and can be heard from anywhere in the room easily. I probably should also mention that my case cover is off.

Maybe my expectations are too high. I was expecting nearly complete silence since that's what everyone seems to be saying they're like.

I ran HUTIL on my P80, and I found an uncorrectable sector.

I don't know if this is dangerous. I e-mailed Samsung 2 weeks ago to ask and I still no reply. This is sad, because Samsung's e-mail was very responsive a few months ago. Maybe Samsung's webpage has some problem (I sent the e-mail filling the web-form).

How long have you had the drive? I know I'd be very concerned if I had an uncorrectable sector. The only drive I've ever had that got one was a crappy JTS 1gig.

When I emailed Samsung about my previous drive's error it took them a week to respond and all I got was an email typed in ALL CAPS saying they needed more info and I should call them. Not exactly good customer service. Maybe when you previously emailed them you just happened to get the one good rep. :)

@Gooberslot:

I can hear it from at least 18-24" away if my ear is pointing at it and the cpu fan is off(need quieter fan). I can't test any further because my head is against the wall at that point. It must be extremely high frequency because it's like a laser beam. It disappears when my ear is no longer pointing at it. In comparison my almost 5 year old 5400rpm WD 30gig is much louder and can be heard from anywhere in the room easily. I probably should also mention that my case cover is off.

Yes, I know what you mean:

according to my experience, the high-frequency noises are normally very directional. For example, a disk can emmit noise backwards, but not forwards.

When you are in front of the disk, you can't hear anything, but if you put your ear in the back, you will hear it very clearly.

Being directional, the intensity doesn't fall with the square of the distance. It falls more slowly. This means that it will reach further, and louder.

With the case open, I think it is normal that you can hear it at 18-24", as long as it is not very loud.

I think you are right that the P80 is not as silent as people sometimes say. My P80 is a bit louder than my Seagate Barracudas (I have 4). It has more whinning and more humming/vibration. But still, it is very silent, and cooler than the Barracudas.

My Samsung V80 (5400 rpm) has the lowest vibration/humming of all my disks, but still has a high-frequency whinning coming out from the rear. When I close the case, it dissappears. The V80 is in a 5,25" bay, with open front, and there is a bit of whinning coming out from the front. But very very faint.

The high frequency whinning is easier to filter than the low-frequency humming.

The high frequency whinning cant go trough objects. It is quickly absorbed by matter. For example, if you are hearing it, and put your hand blocking your ear, you won't hear it anymore.

The low frequency humming is impossible to filter, and it is amplified by the chassis. To avoid this, you will need to de-couple the disk from the chassis. and still will have some amount of humming.

How long have you had the drive? I know I'd be very concerned if I had an uncorrectable sector. The only drive I've ever had that got one was a crappy JTS 1gig.

The disk is new (just 2 months). I am not sure if I should worry much over this uncorrectable sector.

I will keep an eye on this disk, to see if more errors appear.

When I emailed Samsung about my previous drive's error it took them a week to respond and all I got was an email typed in ALL CAPS saying they needed more info and I should call them. Not exactly good customer service. Maybe when you previously emailed them you just happened to get the one good rep.

well, when they replied my e-mail, some months ago, the reply was useless, but at least they replied to me fast (1 day delay). I think it was a question about the 137GB limitation, and how to format 160GB drives... they had no idea LOL

I finally found out (by myself), that Windows>Disk Management can format them easily. heh.

Well, nowadays, tech service is a joke. The only hope are the user forums.

update:

I have just got my long-awaited e-mail reply from Samsung (what a coincidence!).

They have replied to me in my language (Spanish) even if I wrote them in english. This is very nice.

The reply came from the Technical department.

They say that the error is not important, but to be sure, I should consult it with my provider, as the drive is in warranty.

Well, I don't know what they mean... the provider probably don't have a clue about technical issues... then, what kind of consultation am I supposed to do? are they talking about returning the drive?

I have replied to them, to ask for more details, before calling the provider.

+update:

incredible as it may seem, Samsung has replied my last email after less than an hour.

they insist that, for that kind of error (uncorrectable sector) I must contact my provider... they will decide if I must return the drive or not.

Ok, I will call them.

another update:

I have called my retailer (shop) and they offered me to change the P80 drive for another one. I wasn't sure about what to do, so I mailed Samsung again, and

they replied again very fast, and they say that, as my shop is ready to make a change, it is better to play on the safe side, and change it. It is possible a bad sector proliferation.

Ok, then I will change it.

But first, I need to backup all the data.

I have ordered a new V80, so I will use this one for backup.

thanks Samsung-

this ... drive ... seems to have a whine. I have to shut my cpu fan off to hear it but it's there. It's possible the other one had the whine too and that I just couldn't hear it over the hum...

So the police are called to this house where an old lady has complained about the neighbors fornicating in public. When they get to the house they ask the old lady to show them the nefarious neighbors.

The old lady takes the police into the kitchen and says "Look out the window and tell me what you see in that window over there." The policeman looks, but doesn't see a thing. The old lady says "Well, you have to climb up on the table to see it."

-- Rick

heheheh

well, he has already explained: he expected a totally silent drive, and he found the drive wasn't totally silent. That is why he was concerned.

well, he has already explained: he expected a totally silent drive, and he found the drive wasn't totally silent. That is why he was concerned.

That and the fact that it was different than the first. If you buy 2 products that are the same you'd kinda expect them to be the same. Or maybe I just live in a fantasy land where QC actually means something. Judging from my recent experiences with various products I'm guessing the second is true.

arga, please report on how your replacement turns out. Maybe you'll get lucky and get one that doesn't hum at all like mine.

arga, please report on how your replacement turns out. 

This will take a few days.

First I will wait for my V80. I need it to backup my data on the P80.

Also, I need to know if the shop will send me a completely new drive, or a refurbished one. I guess it will be a new one, but I don't know for sure.

If it is a refurbished one, maybe its better to keep the current one.

Maybe you'll get lucky and get one that doesn't hum at all like mine.

The humming in my P80 is very weak. I don't complain. Its difficult to hear. Only when you power down the drive, and pay careful attention, you can notice the difference. Also note that my P80 is not de-coupled from the case.

I will de-copule it eventually, but this is because I am very demanding, and I have many hard disks working in my room, so I need to reduce every bit of noise as much as possible.

My P80 has a bit more humming/vibration than my Seagate Barracudas (they also vibrate), but still nothing serious. I will decouple the Barracudas too.

My V80 doesn't vibrate at all. This one doesn't need to be de-coupled.

Are you sure that your P80 doesn't hum at all? But does it vibrate? I mean, touch it with your hand and tell me if you feel any vibration.

The humming is difficult to notice because it is very diffuse. Only when you power down the drive (puting it to sleep) you will be able to notice the difference.

I am using three P80 160GB drives all with 8MB buffer, 2 P-ATA and 1 S-ATA.

They run fine, fast, silent, and cool. I'll buy ten more drives instantly if I can buy at the lowest Pricewatch or Akihabara price. Made-in-Korea Samsung HDDs are always most expensive in South Korea.

I have got the new V80.

Too bad. This one vibrates more than the previous V80 I had. :(

Now it vibrates as much as the Seagate Barracuda 7200.7, which in turn, vibrates more than the Seagate Barracuda ATA IV.

Also, the high-pitch noise emmision in this V80 is different than in the previous V80. The new one emmits more noise at the front.

It is true. There are differences between different units of the same model.

It also happens to my Seagates.

Note:

The V80 has been delivered to me in a package without any damping except the Samsung plastic enclosure :angry:

This shop normally makes very good packagings, but curiously, they don't take any care with hard drives. My previous V80 was also packaged very badly.

I don't know if any shock in delivery can damage the motor and increase noise. Maybe this would explain the difference between units.

Oh, well, I think perfection is impossible these days...

Thankfully, the HUTIL diagnostics seem to be going well. Now I am running the surface scan.