ZL1

Hdds Packed Pretty Bad, Any Way Stress Test ?

Hi

well I ordered a raptor and a 200WD on Tuesday, got them today, however they were packed pretty bad, double stacked and with one single layer of bubble wrap around them :(

in addition one side of the wrapping got squished and the hard drives were touching the side of the box with their bare casings when I opened the box :(

I am a paranoid person when it comes to hard drives and this definetly put a shadow on my day

so I was wondering if there is a way to stress test the hard drives before I can trust them

or should I consider RMA ?

please adivse

Thank you

Dan

P.S. I installed them and they work, no weird noises or anything, but Im still having problems trusting them

Guest Eugene

Wow, that sounds like the worst packing job since Samsung sent me three bare drives with NO packing materials held completely loose inside an Airborne shipping box.

There's no way I would trust those two drives, or the seller/reseller that you purchased them from.

I don't mail-order hard drives anymore -- not since two mail-order drives failed less than a year after installation. These drives were not the same model -- not even the same manufacturer -- and they were ordered at different times. They drives were properly packed, but if you've ever seen the UPS guys playing soccer with packages, you know why the drives probably failed.

I would recommend RMAing the drives. See if you can get a refund and buy the drives locally -- if not, at least the new ones will probably be packaged better...

I wouldn't trust the drives.

Find a program that writes to the entire drive and then reads the drive, then writes/reads and repeats... hit 'em for at least 24 hours in a well cooled case.

From my experience at work, most drives should fail within a few hours of this, 24 is just overkill. (if you can't do 24, 12 oughta be fine...)

Find a program that writes to the entire drive and then reads the drive, then writes/reads and repeats... hit 'em for at least 24 hours in a well cooled case.

From my experience at work, most drives should fail within a few hours of this, 24 is just overkill. (if you can't do 24, 12 oughta be fine...)

You mean if they are going to fail? What app would you recomend under windows XP?

A drive bought in the store was not necessarily treated better than a mail-ordered one. A local dealer here gets drives delivered via UPS. Every single drive I've bought there was either DOA, failed within a year or was noisy as hell... I'm not going to touch drives from that dealer again, ever.

I've mail-ordered quite a few drives and never had a problem. They were all well-packaged, otherwise I would've sent them back right away, without even opening the sealed anti-static bag.

Well figure that the drive goes from the manufacturer to a distributer like Ingram Micro, then to the main corporate warehouse, then to the store in question. That's just as many "hops" as a mail order house, if not more.

The issue with mail order is the quality of the packaging in that last hop. If it's good, there's no reason that a drive should be any worse off then a retail one. There's lots of good mail order and internet retailers out there who do a good job packing shipments.

-Chris

While there are no empirical statistics showing the correlation between drive handling characteristics between the supplier and the end user, I believe a relationship does exist. Thus if your drives are mishandled, the chances of an anomaly surfacing that threatens the integrity of stored data and/or physical reliability is much greater than if the drive is properly handled.

I've dealt with HyperMicro and Googlegear and they (both) use good drive packing/handling practice. Computer Giants used to pack well, now it appears that they just throw the drives in a box of foam shavings!

Cheers!

For stress testing disk drives you might like to consider our BurnInTest product.

See,

http://www.passmark.com/products/bit.htm

Tests patterns include,

+ Sequential data pattern (0,1,2...255)

+ Random data with random seeking

+ High Low freq data overwrite (10101 then 00001)

+ Butterfly seeking

+ Binary data pattern 1 (10101010)

+ Binary data pattern 2 (01010101)

+ Zeros data pattern (00000000)

+ Ones data pattern (11111111)

+ Random data pattern

It will fill the entire disk with data in a cyclic manner, then read back every byte checking the value is correct for each byte. This is a more effective test than running a benchmark becuase the data is verified as it is read from this disk.

-------

David