KuKla

Hitachi 7k250 Noise

Hi all !!!

i own two Hitachi 7k250 PATA 8mb cache 160gb. I had overclocked barton, so temperature in my case was about 40 C (maybe little more). I realized that i do not need so powerful CPU, so i put him on default settings, and that cause temperature to fall to 34 C.

AND MY DRIVES NOW DO NOT MAKE MORE SELFTESTING SOUNDS !!!

i was really surprised by that, so i overclocked my barton, and selftesting was here again... :ph34r:

i put barton on default and drives are again quiet as tomb.

so result is, that cat maowing and sawmill sound is probably done only if temperature is above some level (maybe 40C ?!?) :blink:

Or maybe your PCI bus was overclocked which maybe causing it.

To test, but the Bus back up but drop the muliplier

i have nForce2, so PCI is locked at 33MHz...

Hi

Sounds like a possiblity, how concrete that is hard to tell. I simply cannot imagine that EVERYONE (and in the thread it was MANY) does not feature enough cooling in their systems. Then again heat is likely to be an issue - whether it THE cause of the weird "cat sound" remains to be seen.

Cris

Hi there,

how annoying and obvious isthe miowing noise as i'm very tempted to get the 7k250 now...

was planning to get the WD before...

obviously depends on the system noise... i have 3 80mm case fans at 7 volts so it isn't silent but fairly quiet....

also are they reliable .. worried as its an IBM :P

Hi there,

understand your concerns well. I am also facing the dilemma of choosing between two drives - Hitachi 7K250 S-ATA or Maxtor Diamond Max9+ S-ATA. And it is gonna be one of THESE two - this much I know!!

Anyway if you want to read some interesting stuff and convince yourself that the noise being emitted by the Hitachi drives appears to be normal after all, you can do that here:

http://forums.storagereview.net/index.php?showtopic=12042

Cris

From my experience, for a quiet system you can't beat the DM+9 right now.

I haven't had a chance to use any of the Samsung drives though.

Hi blakerwry,

do you have the Diamond Max 9+ in your system right now? Can you advise it other than in terms of noise? I read the review, checked some benchmarks and would you consider it over the Hitachi, though this last one is faster.

Do you have the PATA or SATA version? I certainly will get the S-ATA. I can get the DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB Serial ATA (6Y120M0) for 94 Euro, the Hitachi is priced at 99 - at the shop I am looking at these days.

Cris

how annoying and obvious isthe miowing noise as i'm very tempted to get the 7k250 now...

was planning to get the WD before...

I think it is important to consider the total noise that the drive makes, rather than ruling out the 7K250 based on the occasional "meow" noise.

I'm using a 7K250 right now.

The self-test noise sounds more like a door creaking than a cat's meow, happens about once an hour, lasts less than a second, and is quieter than the normal seek sound. It's not annoying at all.

The seeks are louder than most IDE drives, but not loud enough to be obnoxious. (No where near as loud as a U4 or a Fireball Plus LM.)

Idle whine is near non-existent, and this is where the 7K250 really shines.

I used a 7K250 in a system I built for a friend, and after I assured him that the self-test noise is normal, he was delighted to have "a super-quiet hard drive" (his words).

If you get the WD, you will have quieter seeks but the idle whine will be much more noticeable. I used to have a WD600BB in my computer, and replaced it with the Hitachi precisely because the WD was too "whiney".

I have 3 P-ATA DM+9's.. between 80 and 160GB... 2MB cache and 8MB cache varieties. The P-ATA and S-ATA versions of these drives should have identical noise/heat characteristics.

They all have ZERO idle whine, and all are quieter than any other drive I've ever used/seen/heard (including 120GXP, 180GXP, Seagate Medalists, U-series, and ATA IVs).

With AAM set to quiet mode you'll never hear the drive inside the case.. if you get lucky you'll never hear the drive even if it's a few inches from your face.

I have 3 P-ATA DM+9's.. between 80 and 160GB... 2MB cache and 8MB cache varieties. The P-ATA and S-ATA versions of these drives should have identical noise/heat characteristics.

They all have ZERO idle whine, and all are quieter than any other drive I've ever used/seen/heard (including 120GXP, 180GXP, Seagate Medalists, U-series, and ATA IVs). 

Is Maxtor using fluid bearings now? The reason I ask is because of my experience with the D740X (DM+9's predecessor). The drives start off quiet, and as the ball bearings wear out, they get louder and louder until they sound like a jet engine. :blink: Every D740X I have ever seen does this.

My father's computer (which I sold to him :D ) has one Maxtor 740DX and it is damn loud! It was not that loud back then (4 years ago) when I had that drive :D

Now the latest Maxtor drives use FDB (thus fluid) and things are better in that regard. In fact many will agree that Maxtor drives are pretty quiet these days.

Cris

That's a joke, right?

I had a pair of DM+9s. Not only were they hot as heck, they were really clacky (seek noise). Replaced them with Samsung P80s and haven't looked back.

I've a 180GXP, and it's really quiet -- like, if it weren't warm (and working just fine), I'd be sure that it was dead.

I have the 7k250 @120GB PATA and never hear the noise and never hear the drive. I have it set to normal performance and use it extesively. I find the noise I have does not come from the Atlas 10k IV either but from the cpu fan and two case fans. Does the 7k250 make noise ? I wouldn't know.

With the DM+9, it really makes a difference what you set the AAM flag to. Seems like most of the drives are shipped in Performance Mode, though. Enabling Quiet Mode will noticeably dampen the seek noise.

This is how AAM should work... Maxtor got it right. Compare this to Seagate, where the AAM setting doesn't seem to make any difference (my experience). WD drives don't officially support AAM at all. (Hitachi's latest offerings are probably dead quiet anyway, so you can't tell.)

That's a joke, right?

I had a pair of DM+9s. Not only were they hot as heck, they were really clacky (seek noise). Replaced them with Samsung P80s and haven't looked back.

I've a 180GXP, and it's really quiet -- like, if it weren't warm (and working just fine), I'd be sure that it was dead.

Nope! they are the best.. i just added another 160GB DM+9. They run hot compared to my other drives, but they are dead silent with AAM enabled and set to quiet mode.

I want to build a Raid 0 (striping) system using two S-ATA disks of about 160GB each.

Should it be build aound a pair of Hitachi's 7k250 or a pair of Maxtor DiamondMax 9 Plus 8MB.

It's not going to be used as a file server, so no need for the 7k250 in that area. I'm of course going for a system performing well in RAID 0 while being silent.

From what I read the Idle whine is lower for 7k250 but seek noise a louder than Maxtor and also temps are a bit lower. Correct ?

At the moment the Maxtors cost about 33 Euro less (for two) than the Hitachi's. I know that the reliability of Maxtor are OK, but IBM (DeathStar) has a bad record, and has that changed since Hitachi overtook the business. 7k250 was more or less developped solely by IBM, right ?

Which one would you guys suggest and why ?

what do you want more silence or performance?

For Silence: Maxtor. Set AAM to queit and you'll never hear em. Performance will be good, but not as snappy as with AAM off.

For Performance: IBM. Faster....

Form my experience with the 180GXP, two 120GXPs, and two 75GXPs the IBM's are louder @ idle. Seeks have always been at a good level considering the high performance of the drives. ... on to the Maxtor: I dont see how you can make a HDD quieter than the DM+9 when AAM is set to quiet mode. With AAM off the seeks are louder, but idle noise is unaffected. I guess it depends what you like.

I now have two 160GB DM+9's, and two 80GB DM+9's. They're great drives.

They run hot compared to my other drives, but they are dead silent with AAM enabled and set to quiet mode.

You mean, "lack of reasonable performance mode" B)

honold, I mounted my 180GXP from an enlight case to a 3700AMB, then to a P160. My HDD temp increased(as reported by SMART), However the sound stopped.

I think the increase in temps might have stopped the sounds... or possibly the rubber isolators that come with the 3700AMB, P160, and sonata.

I posed a question on SPCR a week or so ago about the IBM drive noises and Antec cases, but didnt recieve very many replies.