Davin

Samsung Spinpoint P80

Minor quibble. Ceramic ball bearings are not very common due to their high cost, usually only used in high-end and some laptop drives. Desktop drives used steel ball bearings before the current shift towards fluid bearings.

Certainly a respectable showing for the Samsung. They are a bit hard to find around here, though.

Minor quibble. Ceramic ball bearings are not very common due to their high cost, usually only used in high-end and some laptop drives. Desktop drives used steel ball bearings before the current shift towards fluid bearings.

Certainly a respectable showing for the Samsung. They are a bit hard to find around here, though.

Thanks for the catch!

Hi there,

I would really like to read something less vague in the Idle & Seek noise issue, since I have never heard any noise from those new FDB Samsung drives.

Since there is a big difference between Seagate's & Samsung's noise (39.9db & 42.3db), how can we pragmatically compare this issue from those drives?

Best Regards

I wish there were a single page version - but not a big deal if you've decided to forego that option.

The single-page version is compiled by a script that is unfortunately broken at this time due to the OS migration :(. We'll eventually have a single page in place when the compiler is repaired/replaced.

.... and now we just have to prod Samsung into sending in a SP1614C

Samsung didn't send us this version... we had to buy it ourselves.

I've read in german c't magazine that the reason for the unusual STR graph is that Samsung uses platters with different density to increase yields.

Maybe one 75GB and one 85GB platter instead of 2 x 80GB.

MrS

We've been selling Samsung hard drives for about 6 months (in about 90% of all our desktops) and we've yet to have one fail... we have no problem getting Samsung hard drives... All in all, I have no problem useing Samsung hard drives... (perhaps I'll get a 160GB version with the 8mb cache for myself, as Iam out of hard drive space again...)

MrSpadge,Jan 13 2004, 04:42 PM] I've read in german c't magazine that the reason for the unusual STR graph is that Samsung uses platters with different density to increase yields.

Maybe one 75GB and one 85GB platter instead of 2 x 80GB.

While I'm certainly no expert, but I would suggest c't should review the concept of cylinders.

Nice to see Samsung drives getting competitive on performance.

Samsung HD team is really evolutioning their magnetic storage technology.

I've seen many people buying Samsung drives here in Brazil. Except DOA - Dead On Arrival - I've not seen anyone complaining about their drives. Before Samsung, people used to buy IDE Maxtor drives, most of which were crappy.

P80 Samsung drives are silent, durable and with HUGE warranty. Just what I want.

I would just like to hear Samsung SATA drives before I get the 160GB one. Hope they make even bigger ones!

Best Regards.

I would really like to read something less vague in the Idle & Seek noise issue, since I have never heard any noise from those new FDB Samsung drives.

Since there is a big difference between Seagate's & Samsung's noise (39.9db & 42.3db), how can we pragmatically compare this issue from those drives?

It's like the difference between a mosquito fart, and a flea fart. Technically there is a lot of difference between them.

But like the reviewer (and you) said, they are barely audible. How much "less vague" do you need it?

Samsung didn't send us this version... we had to buy it ourselves.

Once you've reviewed it, what do you do with it? Keep it, in case you have to re-test it on a newer/updated testbed? Sell it or get a refund, to minimise costs? Use it in one of your own machines?

Is it any different if you're given the drive? Apart from the effect (or lack of) on SR's bottom line, of course.

Samsung does make its P80 in both 8MB buffer versions as well as SATA. Check their webpage:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/

Actually, I have a 160 GB 8MB buffer Samsung drive, and it is fairly quiet and hasn't crashed yet (3 months old). I agree that the idle noise is somewhat higher than the Maxtor Diamondmax 9, but seek- and read/write-noise is less on the samsung than the maxtor.

The review only lists the models equipped with 8 megs of cache, but not those with two megs. This is likely to cause grief with people who'd like to enter one of the following drives at the reliability survey:

SP0401N (40 gig - even more seldomly encountered than the 40 gig DM+9...)

SP0612N (60 gig)

SP0802N (80 gig)

SP1203N (120 gig)

SP1604N (160 gig - would like to enter one of those)

This is NOT funny. :angry: Be assured I'll report every single missing model in the future, time permitting.

With the mentioned c't article at hand (14/03, p.136ff), they write that the platter sides are formatted with slightly different data densities, so the track density and data per track may vary. (I don't know, though, whether changing the track density is actually doable, given the fact that repositioning the heads usually takes longer than just switching heads. So it's possible it's only the amount of data per track that varies.)

BTW, one thing that seems to be a bit annoying about Samsungs is that 'YMMV' applies - they apparently have a nice spread in terms of noise and vibration. Apparently every 4th or 5th P80 produces more vibration that others, and some V80s seem to exhibit a bit of whining (while others are dead silent). Cheap drives, long warranty, good QC - pick two. *sigh*

(My new SV0802N should arrive soon, now I hope I don't get a lemon... I'll probably do somewhat of a burn-in, I do prefer my data being halfway safe. The drive will be mainly for stuff that doesn't need to clutter up space on the Cheetah - old data, MP3s [which could finally be played back without the unnerving clicking every few seconds, this really drives you up the wall in the long run], whatever. Performance is not much of an issue - the drive will be bored on a PIIX4E UDMA33 controller anyway -, but, due to the planned location underneath the floppy drive, heat dissipation is.)

Stephan

(I don't know, though, whether changing the track density is actually doable, given the fact that repositioning the heads usually takes longer than just switching heads. So it's possible it's only the amount of data per track that varies.)

Track density usually varies across the stroke of the disk, but I haven't heard of it varying between different heads/disks. I don't see how you could do that unless you wrote the servo tracks for each head/disk separately (i.e. not in one pass).

Unless they are using pre-servowritten disks. :)

BTW, one thing that seems to be a bit annoying about Samsungs is that 'YMMV' applies - they apparently have a nice spread in terms of noise and vibration. Apparently every 4th or 5th P80 produces more vibration that others, and some V80s seem to exhibit a bit of whining (while others are dead silent). Cheap drives, long warranty, good QC - pick two. *sigh*

Well I just got my replacement 120gig P80 back from Newegg and it's definitely different than the first. The most disturbing difference is that when it spins up it makes a high-pitched noise. It only lasts a second or two but it still worries me. Also, the previous drive had a pretty noticeable hum whereas this one doesn't. On the other hand, this one seems to have a quiet whine. I have to shut my cpu fan off to hear it but it's there. It's possible the other one had the whine too but I couldn't hear it over the hum. I don't know if I got a lemon or not(advise welcome).

If this review and thread had been around when I originally purchased it I don't think I would have. I just can't trust a company that has such wild variations in QC.

try trusting a company that knows how to handle/ship hard drives :( zipzoomfly/hypermicro > newegg. newegg is a great vendor for everything else.

Samsung does make its P80 in both 8MB buffer versions as well as SATA. Check their webpage:

http://www.samsung.com/Products/HardDiskDrive/

Actually, I have a 160 GB 8MB buffer Samsung drive, and it is fairly quiet and hasn't crashed yet (3 months old). I agree that the idle noise is somewhat higher than the Maxtor Diamondmax 9, but seek- and read/write-noise is less on the samsung than the maxtor.

Ive asked our samsung rep about sata drives, they had no idea when they're comming or any of the spec details... So it maybe still a fair wait for them, Samsung always seems to be bringing up the rear on the new technology front...

try trusting a company that knows how to handle/ship hard drives :(  zipzoomfly/hypermicro > newegg.  newegg is a great vendor for everything else.

I didn't think modern hard drives were that easy to damage by mishandling. It's certainly not the worst packaging I've seen or heard of. I'm not too happy with Newegg for a different reason though, they took a week to send my replacement. That's insane.