Sign in to follow this  
digitalfrost

Please Help Me Not To Loose My Data!

Hi. I'm in deep trouble and I hope anyone here can help me. So here's what I did: I 'downgraded' my PC System to an old BX Board with Celeron 433. Since this Board doesn't recognize harddisks larger than 137GB I took an old IBM 20GB and installed Windows 2000. Later, I installed a FastTrak66 controller and hooked my 250GB Hitachi 7k250 up. I created an Stripe Array in the controller's BIOS so that he HD would show up in Windows. When I booted Win2k, it told me drive F:\ wouldn't be formatted, and asked if i'd like to format it now? :blink: I have a 4GB partition on this HD which I can access and the rest, about 233GB data, is now unaccessable!

Please help me I don't know what to do. I don't want to loose this, but I can't afford some professional file recovery, especially not for 233GB :ph34r:.

My first guess would be that this is a problem with the configuration on the controller.

Make life easier on yourself and buy just a normal IDE controller (not RAID) that supports LBA. You shouldnt' have any issues.

I think I found the problem. On Promise website it sais: "Supports 48-bit LBA for drives larger than 137 GB. Must also use BIOS version 2.00.0.24 (or above)."

Well too bad that there is no BIOS 2.00.0.24 for my controller, and the driver I downloaded is not only for FastTrak66, but also supports the FastTrak100 controller for which a BIOS version 2.00.0.24 is available <_<-. Well nice to know that my data is not lost. My heartbeat is slowly getting back to normal ;).

Whell then, guess I'm better off with a new mobo. Sorry for the thread but i did almost panic :).

Hopefully, you didn't inadvertently destroy any data when you created the fake stripe array! I don't know how Promise controllers handle single-drive stripe arrays.

I created an Stripe Array in the controller's BIOS so that he HD would show up in Windows.

I'm kind of confused as too why you would do that in the first place if the drive was already full of stuff that you wanted to keep on the drive. :blink: