Sign in to follow this  
btb4

Sr Forum Question

Hi,

I used to be a member until mid 9/01, then I went off the boards. It looks like not only is my old username/account gone, but posts from that era and before as well.

Is this correct, or am I just "Forum Search Specially Enabled"?

SR had a catastrophic backup/restore failure about a year ago, and all forum posts and handles were lost. It was a tragic event that resulted in the loss of a great deal of combined wisdom, wit, and whining.

Look at it another way though - you now have access to an entire YEAR of collected wisdom, wit, and whining that you haven't seen before!

Future Shock

<chagrin>

Yes, well, I knew that I recalled the name from somewhere....

</chagrin>

Oh, did you ever buy that boat?

Oy vey, all we heard about all summer was the boat, the boat, the boat... :rolleyes:

Which led to very interesting follow-on topics, such as THIS.

FS

Yes, looks familiar.

I recall a post (now fragged) where I once made reference to a lifestyle that will become known as "living like Super C".

The bit about "no longer a spring chicken - I just hit 33" or whatever was particularly reminiscent of the joys of days past.

Oh, and by the way Super C, if you pull the outboards out of the water, they last longer, which is why so many mid-sized saltwater vessels are outboards.

I traded in the 2002 with outdrives for a slightly larger 2004 with inboards.... Honestly, after my boating experiences I wouldn't recommend a boating fetish to my worst enemy at this stage.... Unless you have a masochistic streak in you.... which I may have somewhere.... boating is not recommended... Maybe masochistic is a bit strong.... "slightly self destructive streak" might be a better description of what ails me and probably other boaters as well....

I'm still on good terms with my gf. We just got back from 5 days in the Caribbean together. She asks that question though... "what are we???"

I've decided no more major purchases (no cars, boats, real-estate or more than one new computer at a time) until I'm much further on my way to complete, perpetual, financial independence. I want to save enough dough so I don't *have* to work. I probably still will work at that point, but I'll just be more of a pain in the ass to my bosses because I won't have to :) wouldn't that be nice?

I think it'll take about $1M in the bank to pull that off.... I'm not even close, but gimme 5 years.... I think I can pull it off. Invest $100k a year.... pray for 20% return... maybe make more....

Then I can live off some fixed income and keep reinvesting what I don't need to live on.... Assuming I don't want to work. I probably would work.

That could be doable.... Retire at 38? Not bad.... A guy can dream.... If I had saved more along the way I might be closer to my goal... Then again if I sold some of this old computer junk I have lying around on Ebay I would be closer also.

If I'm ever ready for the responsibility of having kids, I want to be secure enough not to *need* to work. I just don't want the pressure of having some helpless child depending on me... What if I got fired or disabled something? Sure there are other jobs.... But I think the stress of it would give me a heart attack or something. I would go insane from the pressure at work.

My god... what if my kids were down-syndrome or MS or something... that would really, really suck. Just thinking about the possibility is enough to prevent me from ever considering trying to have kids at all, to say nothing of the roughly 50% divorce rate here in the US....

Just trying to live the great American dream over here... It's no walk in the park... A struggle at every turn...

Thanks for the update!

Well, personally once I had kids none of the rest of it mattered. I put it off a while, too, but once I plunged in there was no looking back. Though I am thankful that I don't, I would glady dig ditches to keep them fed. Probably things were better in the days when you turned 18 and just started cranking them out - better not to think too much about some stuff. If a stupid vole can pull it off....

As to the boat, I think it is much nicer w/o a payment. You can have a lot of good times on a used boat - let some other sucker pay for the depreciation. Really, unlike a car, if you get a good, well-constructed hull and take care of it you'll only need one for life. A '60s or '70s Bertram is IMHO still a better hull than you can have constructed today at any price - and you could sell it in 10 years for at least what you paid for it today.

Cheers!

If I'm ever ready for the responsibility of having kids, I want to be secure enough not to *need* to work.  I just don't want the pressure of having some helpless child depending on me... What if I got fired or disabled something?  Sure there are other jobs.... But I think the stress of it would give me a heart attack or something.  I would go insane from the pressure at work. 

My god... what if my kids were down-syndrome or MS or something... that would really, really suck.  Just thinking about the possibility is enough to prevent me from ever considering trying to have kids at all, to say nothing of the roughly 50% divorce rate here in the US....

Nothing risked, nothing gained. ;)