Sign in to follow this  
drizzt81

Need New Drive

Ok,

I am in the market for 2 new drives. I am thinking of either giving hitachi the benefit of the doubt -after RMA'ing two of my deathstar drives- and getting the 7K250 line or getting a 250GB WD drives.

I need these drives for data storage in my server. I would like to get SATA drives so that they are a little more 'future safe', since I might get a nice SATA raid controller (thinking RAID5) in the mid/ long term.

Currently, I want to RAID-1 them, so that I can loose a single drive and still be in the clean.

The price difference (227 vs 292 for WC vs Hitachi) is making me lean more towards the WD drive, since I am on a budget.

There's not too much doubt about it for performance - the 7K250 is faster, particularly in server situations. The other advantage in my opinion is the lower capacity drives. I've just bought a pair of 160GB 7K250s with 8MB cache. I've got these in a RAID-0 array, and the speed is brilliant. These were £80 each and have the same performance as the 250GB drive which costs about £180 over here. Therefore you could get 4 of them for RAID 10 at less than the price of a pair of 250GB drives. Seems the best option to me - you'd probably have money spare to buy a controller card to put them all on :)

Hi everyone!

Nice to see Storagereview changed look, but also good to see that some old SR "fixtures" and dudes (Pradeep, Clocker, Mercutio, Tannin, Piyono, Bonzo the Chimp and probably many other under different new name) are still around the forum.

Anyway I see no need to start a new post here because I am also searching for a new drive as the starter of this post (drizzt81).

I do know for sure it is going to be a S-ATA drive either a 120GB or 160GB depending on the day-price when I decide to order it. Having had only Maxtor drives for the last 4 years, and having been very satisfied with their quality and reliability, you might think I would keep it this way and stay with Maxtor! However I have come to learn over the last couple of years that IBM first, and Hitachi now, have greatly improved the reliability of their drives as opposed to some of their previous HD-lines. Their performance in fact never was in doubt.

Also after having read some very positive reviews along with users' comments about the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250 series, lastly the review posted here at SR, I am perhaps opting for a change. Especially after eharing and reading about the very good performances the Hitachi drives have shown in most benchmarks, one must in my opinion consider one of their drives when buying a new S-ATA drive these days. It is also to be pointed out that whereas in the past IBM drives were usually 5-10% more expensive than those of the competition (same level+category compared), nowadays they are about the same and at some stores even cheaper actually!

Thus given the high performance, the good prices and the fact that the Hitachi drives seem to be very quiet and run pretty cool, I have decided to include them again in my buying choice. Basically I will be choosing between these three S-ATA, 7200rpm (8MB cache) drives:

1) 120 GB HITACHI Deskstar 7K250 (model DS722512VLAS80) 98 EURO

2) 120 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB (model 6Y120M0) 94 EURO

3) 160 GB MAXTOR DiamondMax Plus 9 120GB (model 6Y160M0) 108 EURO

Really Hitachi and Maxtor are the only options for me at this moment. They are also two of the best all-rounders so in that way you cannot do much wrong by getting either of them.

However, given the experience and the knowledge of many users here at SR, I would certainly appreciate to hear from you guys which drive YOU would go for and some considerations along with it. THANKS.

Regards,

CRIS :)

Nice idea there but it does not tell me about which particular models we are talking about. Or did you take the latest offerings from each of the major HD makers?

Still my choice will be between Hitachi and Maxtor and after hearing about the weird noises the Hitachi drives make when re-calibrating the former is going to be ever so difficult. On one hand I really want to buy an Hitachi drive given their supreme performance, on the other my RELIABILITY factor suggests I should go for maxtor.

Cris

Nice idea there but it does not tell me about which particular models we are talking about. Or did you take the latest offerings from each of the major HD makers?

I took the latest offerings, on Newegg. All drives are the 8MB cache version, SATA. That means the Maxtor DiamondMax Plus 9 line for Maxtor; Samsung Spinpoint P80; Seagate 'Cuda 7200.7; WDxx00JD series; Hitachi 7K250.

I don't know if I was just unlucky or not, but I installed 4 hitachi deskstar 160GB sata drives into a raid5 array for a fileserver, and within two weeks one of them failed (thank god for raid5).

When I went to replace it the vendor (newegg) didn't seem to carry those drives anymore. I ended up replacing all 4 drives with 160GB seagate 7200.7's.

personally i'd avoid hitachi.

If NewEgg is out of stock, they won't list the drive. There stock fluctuates in and out daily. They must keep a meager inventory to keep those costs down. Just so you know ;)

If NewEgg is out of stock, they won't list the drive. There stock fluctuates in and out daily. They must keep a meager inventory to keep those costs down. Just so you know ;)

is this special treatment for hard drives? because i see plenty of items listed as 'out of stock'