LexLuther

Cheetah9lp Added To 10kiii In Xp - Perf. Lost

The current system I am using is pretty basic, but was put together using the advice of StorageReview forum members. It's all been smooth sailing for the past 2 years.

P4-1.6A (@2.4)

Abit TH7-II

WinXP SP1

29160 controller

Quantum Atlas 10K-III 36gb. (think it's a 160)

Quantum Fireball KA 18gb IDE

Plextor 40/12/40 IDE

That's all there is really, besides a few other standard cards (NIC/VID/SND).

Anyhow, as I've said, things have been running relatively smoothly for the past couple of years. The only thing that has come back to haunt me was not getting a bigger HD from the start. I never though in a million years I would take up a 36gb HD. Since I was in a pinch for space, and the case was open at the time while I was dusting, I threw in my previous systems HD since the 29160 was from my old system anyhow.

Seagate Cheetah 9LP

I just added it to the SCSI chain, didn't pay much attention to whether or not it sat before the Atlas 10K-III or after it on the chain. (don't think it matters does it?) Now the system doesn't seem as snappy as it once was. And once I do start to access the Cheetah the system will slow down to a crawl. Not only is copying files between the 2 drives as slow as molasses, I've noticed the even after I've finished using the computer and closed all windows on the desktop, Task Manager will show explorer having 100% CPU usage. Things like asking for properties for a file on the Cheetah might actually come up 10 minutes after I've left the computer.

I've even had the Cheetah completely disappear from the "Device Manager", but it shows up once again when I reboot.

When I initially threw the Cheetah into the machine, I formatted through windows into an NTFS drive, just to have peace of mind.

I'm pretty sure that if I were to just take the drive out of the computer it would fix my problems, but since I'm always looking to learn new things maybe someone see something that I don't.

If any of you extremely knowledgeable folks have an idea what the problem might be, I'd be grateful.

LexLuther

The Atlas 10KIII is ID #6 while the cheetah is ID #1. The cable has a built in termination right at the end of it.

Although the machine boots, it boots slower now and I have given thought to swapping the ID's of the drives.

I read the Storagereview FAQ regarding SCSI HD's combined with XP resulting in problems, but as I said, I've never had a problemw ith performance in my system until the addition of the Cheetah.

Thanks

Lex

Pull all drives but the Cheetah--if still problem, ditch Cheetah. stinker happens even to endangered species--especially to them ! I had many and put them all down.