geofftech

Tagged Command Queing

If you run a system that would be able to make much use of THQ, you probably wouldn't want to run it on a Promise controller. If it is a desktop, THQ won't really do much for you.

i have promise sata150 tx2plus pci card and couple of hitachi drives and i have an option to enable TCQ in windows...wird.

i have promise sata150 tx2plus pci card and couple of hitachi drives and i have an option to enable TCQ in windows...wird.

Where do you have this option?

Where do you have this option?

hmm i will try to translate :rolleyes:

in device manager - disk drives - there is something like IC35L180AVV207-1 SCSI drive (my 180gb 180gxp) or HDS722516VLAT80 SCSI drive (my 7k250 160gb with 8mb cache)...so right click on one of these - properties and there are four options (normal IDE drives has only three - generic, disk properties and driver)...i have also a device properties option here...where i can check two options:

1) "Do not shuffle data for the drive (Tagged Command Queuing)"

2) "Do not use write cache (may slowdown drive a lot)".

i do not know if there is any performance gain, i only know that this option is here :D

i do not use english windows, so everything is translation from my (czech) windows...sorry for that :ph34r:

Tagged Command Queueing (TCQ for SCSI) is different from Native Command Queueing (NCQ for SATA).

SATA NCQ requires a drive AND a host controller that both adhere to (preliminary) SATA II specs and use the defined command set for NCQ communication. Such drives are Seagate 7200.7 (100GB/platter version only) and WD Raptor (70+ GB version only).

The only controller chip that I know of that supports NCQ is SIL 3124. However, afaik, that is PCI-X only and I haven't it seen in any shipping controller as of yet.

If you know of a PCI controller that really supports SATA II NCQ, please chime in.

regards,

Halcyon