pico1180

I'm Looking For A Good Lcd

It needs to have a 19” viewable surface. And be able to turn out 16x12 res.

I recently bought a Sony Vaio notebook. It’s 16” viewable, can turn out 16x12, is wonderful in games, and has something called “xbright” technology. It has somethign to do with viewing angle and brightness or something. But it looks absolutely beautiful… Its sharp, crisp, and just plain awesome.

It puts my Sony G410 to shame. For the first time ever I want to go to on LCD on my desk top…

If you want a LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1600x1200, you might have to step up to 20", and with that comes a pretty big jump in price. I recently upgraded to LCD myself and in all the research I did, I never found a monitor made by Dell, Hitachi, Samsung, or Viewsonic that had a native of more than 1280x1024.

Oh, Honold, where are you?

-- Rick

The Dell 2001FP. Buy it. Don't ask questions just do it.

You *will NOT* regret the money.

I've had one for a month...and I think I'll be sending my 21" Viewsonic in for repairs!

DogEared.

ditto 2001fp, i use 2 of them on my desk.  search the forum archives here for it and you'll find a ton of info.

Tsk, tsk. Took you almost four hours to get to that one.

How many more do you have to sell to get that free one?

:-)

-- Rick

ditto 2001fp, i use 2 of them on my desk.  search the forum archives here for it and you'll find a ton of info.

Here on this side of the north atlantic Dell are charging ~350 bucks more than what they are in the US for the 2001FP.

http://tinyurl.com/yuboe

Much as I would want one on my desk, they can go forth and multiply for that sort of gouging.

greg

Tsk, tsk.  Took you almost four hours to get to that one.

How many more do you have to sell to get that free one?

The first thing I did when I saw this thread was scroll down to find honold's response. Dell should at least send you a hat or tshirt for all your efforts :P

Here on this side of the north atlantic Dell are charging ~350 bucks more than what they are in the US for the 2001FP.

Much as I would want one on my desk, they can go forth and multiply for that sort of gouging.

You don't suppose that has anything to do with the pound hitting $1.80, do you?

-- Rick

You don't suppose that has anything to do with the pound hitting $1.80, do you?

-- Rick

Yeah, make hay at our expense.

In UKP terms, a 2001FP should be about £550 ATM,

If dell priced it at 575 or even 600 quid I'd have one.

But 1350 dollars for something they sell with discount over there for $750. No Way.

greg

So you are blaming Dell for the 17.5% tax that the UK puts on things? I assume the price on the UK site includes VAT?

If you want a LCD monitor with a native resolution of 1600x1200, you might have to step up to 20", and with that comes a pretty big jump in price.  I recently upgraded to LCD myself and in all the research I did, I never found a monitor made by Dell, Hitachi, Samsung, or Viewsonic that had a native of more than 1280x1024.

I think it would help if we new what you were planning on using the monitor for most of the time.

Larger monitors still have some contrast and response time issues in games that you should be aware of before deciding on size of lcd and whether or not to wait.

My $0.02 is that Planar makes about hands-down the best LCD displays of any company. It depends on what you want, and how you use your displays, but Planar started on the medical/industrial/militray side, and builds all of their gear like it was meant to take on the road.

We have 2 Viewsonics for our 844/X - that's what M100 was peddling with their turnkeys - and they are kinda pretty, but they have nowhere near the construction of our Planars.

If you look around at a lot of installed LCDs, tradeshows, etc. you'll see a lot of Planars. You can use 'em as hammers to recycle most other LCDs. I think they have a 2 year advanced replacment standard on all of their stuff - serious.

I think a PL21M is a model number w/1600X1200 for less than $1K.

Check.

Most of ours are actually in the touchscreen line, though we use them as plain old production monitors 90%+ of the time.

isn't the dell and the planar the same?

Tha Planar has 25ms response time, looks more like the 2000FP (plus no native support for S-vid or composite).

FWIW, I don't have the specs you require, but I do have some LCD experience.

My current setup uses two DVI powered Viewsonic VP171b.

I like the very much. Included the pivot feature which I use extensively in my work (document preparation for my lecture courses).

Now: they are 17's limited to 1280x1024. But, the line is quite nice, assuming the quality of the larger panels in the line are similar.

I'd at least recommend you check them out, as I found them to be quite competitively priced.

I've also got a 15" Dell Ultrasharp on my wife's computer. Also like them very much, but pricing isn't as generous. I believe the model is the 1504... Be a little careful with Dell's. Their smaller panels come in two varieties... and not all are created equal.

Good Luck.

CEM

Guest Eugene

Just received a 2001FP. Overall, I'm floored with how nice it is, especially considering how much less expensive it is than every other 20" offering. Two small complaints:

1) A dead pixel in the lower right quadrant :/

2) I wish there was a way, between my GF4 display adapter and the TFT itself, to choose an option where it would avoid scaling and center every resolution except 800x600, which could be perfectly doubled in each dimension.