LOST6200

Ram Upgrade

I will upgrado to 4GB of RAM in my old computer (Asus PC4 800E Deluze). Which is the better choice for the 1 GB memory modules Munchkins, Micron, or Kingston? The latter seems to be slower and more expensive, but provided as a pair. I am leaning towards the Crucial brand since the 4x512 are currently working fine.

Thanks.

I've only used Kingston the past few years and never had problems. That's enough for me to keep buying Kingston.

There doesn't seem to be any price difference, except for the Kingston.

All my modules in every machine I've built that uses DIMMS are Crucial. I've had only 1 module go bad out of maybe 100, so I'll vote Crucial.

Crucial is the cheapest and the lowest quality. Regardless of that, you will have problems with 4GB, no matter what you are going to take, the power draw of 4 GB will be in the order of 40-45 W on any reads and the memory VRM won't be able to supply that.

In addition, depending on the OS, you may not be able to use 4GB, WinXP is limited to 2GB virtual addresses even if you have 4GB of physical memory in the system. The only way to use that amount would be to run legacy aplications in e.g. DOS mode and their own reserved memory space while running Windows in the foreground with applications that would demand another 2 GB ... hard to imagine..

If you are doing Linux, it is a different story. Another issue to keep in mind is the power sensing throttling of the I875 memory controller. If you overload the system with memory, the controller will throttle the performance by skipping beats.

Most i875 boards will throttle back already with 4 x 512 MB, the ASUS P4C800E is a notable exception but you can expect to be running at DDR266 Mode with only 1/2 of the memory being used if you really go that route.

My vote would otherwise be Mushkin Level One (4 x 512 MB)

Kingston

If you're not certain, send them an email for confirmation whether 4 GB with their memory will work on this board. Keep the mail. Keep a printout of this screen as well. If you experience problems, you should be able to RMA the memory.

4 GB is a lot though. Making an über-server or something?

I would be worried to use four unbuffered modules on a single mainstream mainboard. Registered sticks would insure better data integrity IMO.

Maybe the fact that there's only 2 modules per channel makes it safer, but I would still not be overly confident in such a configuration.

BTW, before taking the plunge, here is some more information on high memory densities and the system slowdown :

http://firingsquad.com/hardware/building_g...art2/page16.asp

and here:

http://www.lostcircuits.com/memory/2gb/

Suffice it to say that these findings completely invalidate results from PSBench (which we found rather unreproducible anyway) unless the timings were obtained manually rather than relying on the Photoshop output. In any case, we were running some of these benchmarks with 2 x 256 MB or 2 x 512 MB or else with 4 x 512 MB and there was no difference between the manually stopped times for filtering. This is in stark contrast to the numbers recorded and output by Photoshop.

So it seems just a bug in PS.

I would be worried to use four unbuffered modules on a single mainstream mainboard. Registered sticks would insure better data integrity IMO.

The I875 does not support Registered DIMMs and Registered DIMMs do not provide better data integrity either. You can run unbuffered ECC modules, but it won't help anyway because you cannot use over 2 GB

A RAMdisk is a great use for those extra 2GB...

There's some really good information on memory and reviews of quite a few of the major memory brands at Anandtech.

There are comparisons of memory performance showing which memory performs better at a given DDR speed, whether you should use SS (Single-Sided) or DS (Double-Sided) memory, which memory overclocks better, etc.

However, depending on what else is in your system, you may benefit more from upgrading the CPU and the hard drives rather than getting more memory.

What kind of applications do you run? Are you running out of physical memory? What kind of CPU and hard drives you currently have? Are the hard drives using the ICH5 so that you free up PCI bandwidth?

Please provide more information about your system and what applications you run.

Thanks for the replies. I thimnk I will take a chance and try the Crucila. If teh RAM is purchased throught eh websitre, it should be returnable if necessary.

B

keyboard:

Can't find the Crucila RAM websitre so I can't comment, and make sure Munchkins RAM isn't too small to fit in the sockets before you upgrado that Deluze...

BTW LOST6200, have you considered an Opteron system? You could get 4 1GB registered sticks now, and could later add 4 2GB sticks for use with a 64bit OS (as you already have 2GB of RAM which you would have to discard to upgrade that S478 board). Sounds like you need a lot of power, and there's not much of an upgrade path left for S478, though the DIMMs would likely work for S939...

One word of caution. Your mobo will most likely not handle this much memory. The most I have got to work in any desktop class mobo was 2.5GB and this was uinsg PC2100 memory. At PC3200 this is very difficult using 1GB unregistered dimms because each module has 16 or 18 chips or more and each of these chips will contribute to noise on the bus, heat and power draw.