LOST6200

Ram Upgrade

i didn't notice the 4gb number. seems extreme. i would ONLY use ecc if going 2gb or higher.

some mobos need registered RAM and I can't find a large modern RAM stick that's not ECC but registered

ECC or not doesn't matter, you can either turn it off in the BIOS or if it is not supported, the chipset will simply ignore it.

I don't think it's that simple. I recall a workstation that wouldn't normally POST, but would if you reset it often enough - it turned out it had a server PC100 chip in a board that was only designed for regular PC100. The chip ran fine in a (test) server. I think it was ECC, I don't recall whether it was registered. The point being, you can't guarantee that ECC will work in a non-ECC board.

That is usually an issue with the chip width or a load issue. Most ECC DIMMs are high density and that often exceeds the drive strength of the command bus. The workaround is usually to put the register on the PCB but that one does require one additional latency cycle for the address and command decoding and if that is not supported by the chipset, it won't work.

The way to high density has often been reduced chip width to get double the depth, and that means that you would use e.g. x4 component instead of x8. The problem is that some chipsets do no longer support x4, e.g. the VIA and Intel DDR chipsets don't support this whereas AMD does.

So, there are many factors that will define whether something will boot or not but ECC by itself is not among them since on a non-ECC chipset the extra data lines are no-connects and the chipset will simply not see the additional chip.

One word of caution. Your mobo will most likely not handle this much memory. The most I have got to work in any desktop class mobo was 2.5GB and this was uinsg PC2100 memory. At PC3200 this is very difficult using 1GB unregistered dimms because each module has 16 or 18 chips or more and each of these chips will contribute to noise on the bus, heat and power draw.

4GB of these work just fine.