henrybizon

Onboard Sata Vs. Pci Sata Controller

I am building two computers at present, one based on the Asus A7N8X Deluxe and the other on the Asus P4P 800 Deluxe. Both boards have onboard SATA connectors. I will be using WD Raptors 36GB.

In the past, when I have built computers, I have mostly used Promise Controller PCI Cards with IDE drives, to enhance performance. This was good practise when motherboards had an IDE BUS speed of 33 or 66.

Is there any advantage with modern motherboards to using a PCI SATA Controller Card instead of the onboard solution. Which will give best performance. Also, how do you get Windows XP to recognise the new SATA drive on which you want to install the OS. I know that early on during installation the program asks you to hit F6 and insert the controller drivers on a floppy disk. The motherboard comes with all it's drivers on a CD ROM. How do you get round this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Well, the P4P deluxe has an ICH5R southbridge, upon which the Sata channels are independent of the PCI bus. The A7N8X Deluxe however uses a silicon image chip which is hooked onto the PCI bus.

Will that make a difference? Well, what else are you using on the pci bus?

I'll be using most if not all of the PCI slots on the A7N8X Deluxe. Real Magic X Card hardware MPEG decoder, Hauppauge PVR 350 TV tuner, Terratec Aureon Sound Card, Wi-Fi PCI Card, (Promise SATA Controller?)

The P4 board will be for video editing with SCSI drives for video capture, Sound card, Canopus DV Storm 2 Video Card.

Get the HDD's off of the PCI bus. The bus has a max bandwidth of 133MB/sec. HDD's transfer at about 50 currently. This could lead to problems when simultaneously capturing video to HDD and using overlay to display it on your screen.... granted...

1: Your card already does MPEG2 compression, and only usilizes "up to" 12 Mbits

2: Your video card is probably not on the PCI bus (you use an AGP card)

Still, get as much off the PCI bus as humanly possible.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Is there any advantage with modern motherboards to using a PCI SATA Controller Card instead of the onboard solution. Which will give best performance. Also, how do you get Windows XP to recognise the new SATA drive on which you want to install the OS. I know that early on during installation the program asks you to hit F6 and insert the controller drivers on a floppy disk. The motherboard comes with all it's drivers on a CD ROM. How do you get round this?

Thanks for any help you can offer.

Here is a review of 4 channel solutions. This is a complete change from the reviews I have seen for on board SATA performance. I agree, the ICH5 solution is the best on board solution for Pentium, Silicon Image is probably the best for Athlon XP onboard.

http://www.gamepc.com/labs/view_content.as...compare&page=12

Hope this helps.