Clocker

Help! Lost Disk/partition After Winxp Reinstall

Hey guys...

I coped all my data to a slave disk in my machine. I then proceeded wipe the master disk (and ONLY the master disk) and reinstall Windows XP to it.

Now, upon reinstallation of WinXP, the partition that was on my slave disk is not recognized and I can't get my data. The disk is not even in My Computer because it hasen't been initialized in Disk Management yet.

What happened and how can I get my data? All disks used NTFS and I'm running WInXP Pro with SP1 slipstreamed....btw.

Thanks for your replies...I'm really hurting here... ! :(

Clocker

If it was dynamic, go into disk mangler and look for "import foreign media" or something like that. Also, if the HDD was above 130GB in a single partition, you will have to install SP1 before you can access it.

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Hmm Disk was 80GB and Basic. At this point I'm looking for a decent NTFS reader for DOS I guess?

C

Using the trial version of Active Partition Recovery I was able to see that it could find the partition with all my backed up data on it. The trial version doesn't restore anything so I bought the full version (US$30) and it restored the partition that WinXP set-up effed up.

I'm back in business! I'd still like to know what happened but I will for sure either be copying my data to CDR or to one of my network drives the next time I decide to do a fresh install of Windows XP....

One insteresting thing is that the recovery software didn't seem to like to work when the drive was attached to a NF2 motherboard....It would take forever to scan the drive and never finish. My SiS735 (K7S5A) system did it fine though...

Clocker

Using the trial version of Active Partition Recovery I was able to see that it could find the partition with all my backed up data on it.  The trial version doesn't restore anything so I bought the full version (US$30) and it restored the partition that WinXP set-up effed up.

I'm back in business!  I'd still like to know what happened but I will for sure either be copying my data to CDR or to one of my network drives the next time I decide to do a fresh install of Windows XP....

One insteresting thing is that the recovery software didn't seem to like to work when the drive was attached to a NF2 motherboard....It would take forever to scan the drive and never finish.  My SiS735 (K7S5A) system did it fine though...

Clocker

Was there anything "funky" with the origional setup of the disk (partition created with the mfr's tools, ghost, or something dumb along the lines of DDO)?

Thank you for your time,

Frank Russo

Hi Frank-

No...nothing funky. I was a brand new 7K250 that I installed a few months ago. Just installed the drive (80GB) as one big NTFS 4k (default) cluster partition (non-dynamic disk). I just dumped backup data on it once in a while.

In the original configuration before the fresh install, I was also using this disk for my swapfile but that is it...nothing too weird...

Thanks for your interest...

C