dlevens

Wd2500pb Or Hitachi Deskstar 7k250

I am giving up my WD2500JB, it is just too damn loud. Now that WD has the PB version, I am trying to decide between the new version with fluid-dynamic-bearing motors and the Hitachi Deskstar 7K250.

Does anyone know which of these two is quieter? Faster? Runs cooler?

I believe the warranty is the same for both.

Many thanks for your insight.

Dennis

Hi, the general consensus on the 7K250 is that it is pretty quiet. It will be just fine for all but the most obsessive of PC silencers and leagues a head of the JB. Info on the PB is thin on the ground as they are very new but it seams as though they are better but not particularly quiet. If you check out the Performance Database you'll find the 7K250 is faster than the 2500JB in almost every category.

Seb

Hi, the general consensus on the 7K250 is that it is pretty quiet. It will be just fine for all but the most obsessive of PC silencers and leagues a head of the JB. Info on the PB is thin on the ground as they are very new but it seams as though they are better but not particularly quiet. If you check out the Performance Database you'll find the 7K250 is faster than the 2500JB in almost every category.

Seb

unfortunately, there is this noise issue. Users are not satiesfied, check it out in the

"article" section, the discussion about the 7K250 review.

I have two WD2500PB drives, and they are very quiet indeed. There doesn't appear to be any discernable whine from the drives and access noise is very subdued aswell.

After reading three pages of how "bad" or loud the 7K250 would be, I ordered one, it has an October manuf's date on it. I can't believe how quiet it is. The ONLY time I ever hear it is once an hour it makes a very soft "cat's meow" (more like kitten, I have two cats and they agree!).

It sits in what use to be a floppy bay. And it is arms length from me. My box (mini-tower) has a very quiet fan.

Making mountains out of mole hills?

having 160GB w/ 8MB cache, I really appreciate the storage and speed as well. I would not hesitate to recommend this drive.

You're right! The first time I heard it, I looked up and over to the kitchen door to see if it sounded like a neighbor's cat that comes around once in a while - when it gets locked out in the cold such as has been hitting us here in the Midwest.

in some ways, kudos to Hitachi for producing a sound that - for some - is a lot better than a mechanical noise might. Of course I don't put anything in my bedroom so it can't disturb sleep (the trains do that!).

I didn't time it but it seemed to be about once an hour.

Feeding time I suppose :P

Have to agree with all those that aren't annoyed by the cal noise from the Hitachis. Own both a 180GXP and a 7K250, and both are very good noisewise. The purring and meowing respectively aren't very annoying. It's actually very quiet noises that you won't notice unless you have a fairly quiet system and no other sounds around. But I have to admit that the first time I heard the noise I was a bit worried the disk was failing on me. Luckily I've not had any such problems yet.

Hehe I heard that cat noise also. First time there actually was a cat at the window and I wasn't sure if it was making the noise! Is this a normal sound? I've just got two 7K250s and as far as I can tell, the noise always comes from the same drive - is this OK or a problem for the future?