Per Hansson

Most Quiet Drive?

Hi, I want a real quiet harddrive, I recently built a firewall based on ipcop for myself but the old WD 3,25gb HD is really noisy, but except it the computer is really quiet (5v PSU fan and really small CPU fan only...)

I was looking at the new 40gb Seagate 7200.7 harddrive mainly because I put two 120gb of the same models in a friends comp and found them very quiet, and also their price (50$)

I don't know how my old AST 100Mhz comp will handle their size either so I have not decided if I will buy a controller card or not (so either PATA or SATA recommendations will be fine)

Thanks for reading.

Hi Per, for all things relating to quiet computers, including HDD reviews focusing on noise level, I recomend taking a look at Silent PC Review.

As regards the size issue it's unlikely you can get more than 8.4GB without drive overlay software. As you're currently using 3.25GB I'm guessing you don't need a lot of space so in worst case you can manually enter the drive settings into the BIOS and "lie" to it so it thinks the drive is a size it can handle. I once setup a PC like this for a friend on a PC that would not take more than 8.4GB and the HDD was slightly larger wich caused it to hang on POST. I reduced the "cylinders" setting in the BIOS a little and it was then fine for about 12months till the PC was upgraded.

An add in card with it's own BIOS bypasses all these issues.

Seb

Try using the cylinder limitation jumper (CLI). It should give you 32 MB. Also, you can get a Promise ATA66/100 card off eBay for dirt cheap (or get some other controller new for <$100).

Välkommen hit Per : )

Jag misstänker att du vet att gamla diskar

låter förskräckligt jämfört med dagens.

För mig själv räcker i stort sätt dagens

teknik för att annat skall låta mer men

så är jag en stendöv ; ) dinosaur ;*)

För riktigt tyst (m.a.p. diskar) kanske

disklöst kan vara något. Har du nätverk

med en undangömd server kanske det

skulle vara något.

Jag har inte gjort något ådant själv (läs ovan)

men en bekant har trasslat länge med det

och vad jag förstår lyckats bra...

/Henrik

Trevligt med lite svenskar på forumet :-)

Jag skulle också kolla på disklöst. Compact Flash med lämplig IDE-adapter kommer man ganska långt med. Pysslar just nu med en sådan här:http://www.soekris.com/net4801.htm och OpenBSD. Annars som andra rekommenderat så antingen Samsungs 5400-varvare eller Seagates 7200.7. Seagate har dock även en 5400-varvare vid namn 5400.1 som kanske kan vara av intresse. Har dock inte läst några recensioner på den så jag vet inte om dess ljudnivå...

The Samsung P80 is also very silent, but it has a bit of structural vibration that translates into a bit of humming, and its hotter. The Samsung V80 has no vibration

and its very cool. Also is the cheapest.

The Seagate 7200.7 is also very silent, comparable with the P80. But seeks are louder.

Any of these disks are very good. But I like the V80 a lot.

Ok guys, thanks for all your replies!

Funilly I had set this thread on "watch topic" but I never got any e-mails..?

Anyway, I'll have a look at that Samsung V80... It's not listed on SilentPCReview though?

About CF; I don'd like them for the reason that compared to harddrives they are slow and that they have a "max number of writes" till they fail, and they are quite expensive also...

About running a disk-less distro; that is out of the question because I use a Proxy cache to speed up my modem surfing... I also use quite much logging....

Ok, I've looked some and found the following drives, prices are in Swedish Krona, 7krona=1$

SAMSUNG SPINPOINT V80 80GB 5400RPM: 800:- 3year inactive: 26db active: 27db

Samsung SpinPoint P80 120GB: 878:- (no db data or warranty info available)

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.7 40GB 7200RPM: 562:- 1year inactive: 25db active: 28/34 (quiet or normal seek mode)

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 5400.1 40GB 5400RPM: 556:- 1year inactive: 26db active 29/30 (quiet or normal seek mode)

WESTERN DIGITAL PROTEGE 20GB 5400RPM 619:- 1year inactive: 32db active: 36db

All drives where found on www.dustin.se except the P80 which was found on www.komplett.se

PATA controller for around 300:- and SATA controller ca: 350:-

Ok, I've looked some and found the following drives, prices are in Swedish Krona, 7krona=1$

SAMSUNG SPINPOINT V80 80GB 5400RPM: 800:- 3year inactive: 26db active: 27db

Samsung SpinPoint P80 120GB: 878:- (no db data or warranty info available)

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 7200.7 40GB 7200RPM: 562:- 1year inactive: 25db active: 28/34 (quiet or normal seek mode)

SEAGATE BARRACUDA 5400.1 40GB 5400RPM: 556:- 1year inactive: 26db active 29/30 (quiet or normal seek mode)

WESTERN DIGITAL PROTEGE 20GB 5400RPM 619:- 1year inactive: 32db active: 36db

All drives where found on www.dustin.se except the P80 which was found on www.komplett.se

PATA controller for around 300:- and SATA controller ca: 350:-

Here's the SP1604N:

http://geizhals.net/eu/a55792.html

Note the difference between the "SV" series and the "SP" series. It's the "SP" that you should consider.

Just thought I'd mention the 20GB Samsung drive I bought a few years ago started out really quiet but got louder as time went on. It's probably the fate of all ball-bearing drives so unless Samsung has started using fluid-bearings, don't expect the drive to stay silent forever.

@Steel:

yes, the same happened to my Samsung V40 drive. It was ball bearings.

At first, very silent for a ball-drive, but little by little, noise increased to a conventional level. (Anyway, after 18 months, this drive has no reallocated sectors. It is working very well.)

But the new Samsungs are fluid bearings, so I don't think this will happen again.

arga - That's good to know, I'll certainly keep the Samsungs in mind for any future silent PC's I want to build.

Per Hansson - If you're not planning on using the caching web proxy (Squid), you might want to think about a compact flash to IDE adapter and a 256MB CF card (should be all IPCop needs if the computer has 32MB or less RAM). Of course I can't verify the reliability of such a setup, but it sure would be silent :).

@Steel:

Also note that you can use HUTIL (Samsung utility) to set seeks to "silent" or "performance". I haven't used this it yet, (I have accoustic management disabled) because I like it as it is now (I can hear the seeks, but only slightly).

arga... you don't know who you're arguing with here! Check out SilentPCReview, the definitive source for those looking to silence their PCs. Ralf Hutter is one of the most highly-respected members of that site.

As it happens, the new FDB Samsungs are overall on par with the quietest hard drives available today, and can be made inaudible @ 1m. Sure, they're not technically "silent", but they are damn near it, and certainly a better option than solid-state solutions, when you consider the price!