honold

Freeware Smart Monitoring Tool

anybody else running this on a raptor 36g?  my attribute seek error rate keeps flipping from 100 to 200 and back.

My WD400JB gives me the same error every now and then. It's just annoying and I'm sure the drive is just fine, so I shut down the monitoring application.

Maybe it's a compatibility issue between Western Digital's drives and that program?

I am also running the Seagate "Seatools" for 2 Barracudas in my other PC, but it is Slooooooow. More than 10 hours and the surface test still running (the percentage bar is progressing, so it is not hanged)

So, about the reallocated sectors, I shouldn't worry, correct?

and about the uncorrectable sector on the P80? is that dangerous?

what is the difference between reallocated and uncorrectable?

If Seatools takes over 10hours to do the surface scan then WORRY NOW.

On a health cudaV (40GB) the Seatools quick test is about 3 to 5 minutes and the long test is about 20 to 30 minutes.

I've previously noticed that sick and dying drives often take an unusually long time to complete the diagnostic tests.

my attribute seek error rate keeps flipping from 100 to 200 and back.

I've not seen that. Yes it sounds annoying but in reality I doubt it is anything to worry about. For reasons that I do not know it seems that some smart attributes start out at 100 (ie 100 equals perfect) but some other attributes start out at 200 instead. Now the curious thing is that I've never seen any of the "200 start" attributes ever fall to a value that is between 100 and 200. In other words its appears (for reasons I dont know) that 100 is somehow adjacent to 200 in terms of smart reporting. If this is true then the "flipping" from 200 to 100 and visa versa would be no more significant than a flip between 100 and 99.

@uart:

If Seatools takes over 10hours to do the surface scan then WORRY NOW.

I ran the Seatools, and it tested 2 Barracudas:

a Barracuda 7200.7, 120GB

a Barracuda ATA IV, 80GB

I went to bed, and 8 hours later, the test was still running.

I don't know which drive took so long. I guess both drives took a long time.

I will run the test again...but this time, with only one disk at a time.

I am now running the SeaTools Desktop on my Seagate 7200.7 (120GB).

Scanning for bad sectors... only 15% now, and this has taken more than an hour.

Well, I am going to open a new thread asking if this is normal...

Hi arga. I'd expect the 120GB and 80GB drives to take proportionally longer to scan than my 40GB drives. But 30 minutes multiplied by 5 is still way less than 8 hours so it seems that something might be wrong with one or more of your drives.

I forgot to mention, these drives are formatted with FAT32...

After a Google search, I found this:

In the mean time, I downloaded the seatools utils from Seagate and verified on two different computers that the drive was okay and that there aren't any bad blocks (yes, this took many hours).

http://www.google.es/search?q=cache:Geyxo_...&hl=es&ie=UTF-8

anybody else running this on a raptor 36g?  my attribute seek error rate keeps flipping from 100 to 200 and back.

My WD400JB gives me the same error every now and then. It's just annoying and I'm sure the drive is just fine, so I shut down the monitoring application.

Maybe it's a compatibility issue between Western Digital's drives and that program?

I've been using HDD Health for a while now and i also see Attribute seek error rate changes from 100 to 200 / 200 to 100 a few times every day. I own a 120GB Western Digital WDC WD1200JB-00CRAO.

As a side note, when using HDD Health on a mates old Fujitsu drive it's Power-On Hours are in seconds.

Downloaded and installed the program, here is what I got:

Its a 40GB 5400rpm 2.5" laptop drive on my Dell Inspiron 8200 notebook

Drive Model: Hitachi DK23EB-40

Drive Capacity: 39.1GB

Firmware Revision: 00K0A0C0

And I will get to the fun part of it:

Start/Stop Count (Power on count): 715 times

Reallocated Sectors Count: 0 sectors

Power-On Hours: 572139 minutes

Device Power Cycle Count: 713 times

Temperature: 90198900795 C

Reallocation Event Count: 0 events

Current Pending Sector Count (Unstable sectors): 0 sectors

Uncorrectable Sector Count: 0 sectors

UltraDMA CRC Error Count (total): 0 errors

Write Error Rate (Multi Zone Error Rate): 0

Wow, I have been using this laptop since 1/1/2003, up till today, which is 11/4/2004, that's been 466 days...

So on average my drive has been:

- Powered on/off 1.5 times per day

- Runs 20.4 hours per day (which sounds correct as I nearly run my laptop 24/7 bar the occational holidays when I switch it off completely).

No errors or bad/reallocated sectors at all....

Hitachi certainly knows how to make a good drive. lol

And yea this program has a problem with reading off S.M.A.R.T. for drive temp., 90198900795 C! The i8kfanGUI (highly recommended for all Dell laptop users) is reporting a CORRECT 59 C at the moment.

I have two drives attached to an ITE controller built into my Gigabyte mobo. HDD Health cannot pull up the names or info on either of these drives.

Any ideas?

Piyono

well, it certinly looks like a nice utility. out of my 3 ide connected hard drives, it picked them ll up, but only displays values for two of them. i hvent found a sinlge utility tht cn display values for raid controller interfaced hard disk drives :(

interestingly, hddhealth reported that the two drives were fine, whereas both speedfan nd hdtune were concerned with the health of the Western Digital 120Gb due to its high "raw read error rate" and "write error rate"

I've got a high reallocated sector count on all these drives tha ti cn monitor, i suspect the older ones and those in constant use would have higher values though. by high i mean "253" for my relatively new samsung spinpoint 160GB, only had it for 6months, but it is my main drive now. i'm reading 169 on the "failing" Western Digital 120Gb, but i've had that for jsut over 2years now. my refurbished Ibm gxp60 40GB reads a mere 100.

I'm not sure how hddhealth reads temerature values. maybe it's in farenheit?

under smart, the value on my ibm is 114, and hdtune shows the temperature as 48 celcius, and for the smsung, it is 115 and 41 celcius... hmmm maybe not then.

out of these three, i like hdtune the most. mostly for the fact that it can display values for all motherboard ide connected drives; that i've tried.

www.hdtune.com

Well, we have SMART enabled on all the OptiPlexes @ work, and in the past several months we've seen maybe a couple dozen alerts or so. We pulled each drive from service the next day and replaced them. Just out of curiosity, we put a couple of drives in test machines and the ones the SMART software/firmware had reported all died within about a week. Different brands of drives in different models of optiplex, so it wasn't something like a bad batch of disks.

So I'd say it works, and it's useful. And it freaks out the users, which is bad, but entertaining. :)

138884[/snapback]

What software are you using to implement this? I am very interested in implementing this for some of my business clients.