Doombringer

Sata Array

Hey guys...

I'm thinking of going to a raid 1 SATA array. I want the mirroring for backup and speed. Any thoughts on which SATA interface card to buy, and which hard drives? I'd only need about 80 gigs of space.

Well no, it's not technically a backup as in having multiple versions of a file to retrieve.. but it is redundancy. If one drive fails, the exact same data is present on the other drive.

And I'm not sure what I was smoking... the only real speed benefits come from raid 0, striping.

a backup will save you if you want an old versin of a file, deleted a file, got a file corrupted, or had an entire disk crash. raid will provide you with uptime even if your disk crashes, but will do nothing for you if a file is deleted, corrupted, or you need a new version.

just clarifying this for anyone else reading the thread.

as for what controller, i'd consider just buying a new motherboard if you're in the market. most support sata raid now.

Only 80 Gigs? I'd get an external USB 2.0 or Firewire drive and do a drive copy or drive image once a week. Take removable drive - place in small fire resistant safe (~$100 WalMart). Total cost with good discounts should be ~$200 all in...

Future Shock

And I'm not sure what I was smoking... the only real speed benefits come from raid 0, striping.

RAID 1 will give you a read speed increase (close to RAID 0), at least with 3Ware controllers.