Rob94hawk

So Why Isn't The New Wd 74gbraptor Onthe Leaderb?

Here in Malaysia, where some Raptors are made, supply is tight. So, maybe that is the reason why it hasn't moved up the charts. While distributors have ready stock of the 36 GB model, the 74 GB one is only available on order.

If you look @ the FAQ, you'll see that SR only puts drives on the board that have been reviewed. The drive "preview" that they have is not a retail model (therefore not eligible)

Can this drive beats 10Krpm SCSI drives or not? ;)

Yes, it will beat some (most?) in some (most?) applications. How much by how much and where is yet to be determined. If not, it will still no doubt earn an honorable mention (as the 360GD currently has)

Sure it can, in sequential transfers since the FMT derating for the positional data on the platter is lower on a destop drive than on a SCSI drive. But keep in mind that a brick on the gas pedal can also drive faster than most humans... as long as the road is straight.. :unsure:

Storage Review really needs to add another category for SATA although I take it as a passive compliment that SR has lumped the Raptors together with the 10K rpm SCSI drives.

Storage Review really needs to add another category for SATA although I take it as a passive compliment that SR has lumped the Raptors together with the 10K rpm SCSI drives.

SATA is nothing more than an interface. The desktop drives have been lumped with desktop drives and the Raptors are targeted at the NAS/server market, thus the Raptors should be placed with the 10K SCSI drives.

The retail version of the 74GB Raptor has already been available (although in tight supplies) for several weeks now. I think a few members here have theirs.

Western Digital is perhaps only slow to send a unit to Eugene.

The retail version has been out for a few weeks, so the answer to your question is 2003 :). From what I've read in forums and in some articles, it seems that SR's preview is probably pretty similar to the retail version, unlike the 360GD.

SATA is nothing more than an interface. The desktop drives have been lumped with desktop drives and the Raptors are targeted at the NAS/server market, thus the Raptors should be placed with the 10K SCSI drives.

I guess it does not matter anyway. IDE days seem numbered although I sure would lke a SATA CDROM. I have really enjoyed not having flat cables and their connectors cluttering my case.