troop

Hitachi 7k250--minimal Hdd Led Activity

The drive is strangely hardly using the HDD led.By comparison with the Maxtor 10k drive, it seems not to be working. Yet it is and the board connectors are properly attached. For example, running a Norton Speed Disk defrag the Maxtor lights up like a christmas tree about now but the Hitachi barely shines for a millisecond and then nothing. Weird . Same comparison when booting to the drives--the 7k250 hardly appears active in comparison to the 10k drive yet both work perfectly. Like smoking a cigarette but not seeing it glow.

WEIRD.

If the LED sint as sensitive or if there is a problem with the drive/mobo you can see this happen. It wont affect drive performance and I would simply ignore it.

I know on my 865 abit board the HD LED activity doesn't light when the SATA is active. I guess you wouldn't ever want to know if you choose to use SATA.

I'm willing to bet you have something on your on-board PATA controller, and it is when those devices are polled that you get the small flickers on the activlity LED.

I know on my 865 abit board the HD LED activity doesn't light when the SATA is active. I guess you wouldn't ever want to know if you choose to use SATA.

hm, my abit ic7 (875) / lian-li pc-65b / raptor 36g setup lights up fine

The drive is strangely hardly using the HDD led.By comparison with the Maxtor 10k drive, it seems not to be working. Yet it is and the board connectors are properly attached. For example, running a Norton Speed Disk defrag the Maxtor lights up like a christmas tree about now but the Hitachi barely shines for a millisecond and then nothing. Weird . Same comparison when booting to the drives--the 7k250 hardly appears active in comparison to the 10k drive yet both work perfectly. Like smoking a cigarette but not seeing it glow.

WEIRD.

Maxtor 10k drive? A SCSI drive in other words? How is the HDD activity LED hooked up? If it's connected directly to the SCSI HBA, it won't light up when there's any IDE activity going on. If you wire it to the motherboard IDE LED connector, you instead won't see SCSI activity, unless your motherboard has a special pass-through connector you can hook to the SCSI HBA.

WEIRD.

Maxtor 10k drive? A SCSI drive in other words? How is the HDD activity LED hooked up? If it's connected directly to the SCSI HBA, it won't light up when there's any IDE activity going on. If you wire it to the motherboard IDE LED connector, you instead won't see SCSI activity, unless your motherboard has a special pass-through connector you can hook to the SCSI HBA.

And most likely that little activity is caused by the polling of Maxtor drive.

I once modded my power LED connector so that I could put it on the motherboard's IDE LED connector (to monitor the CD drives). The actual IDE LED was connected to my HPT370 card, which had the HDs. It was kind of nice effect to boot the computer, and after five-six seconds the power LED went off... :D

Cheers,

Jan

I did not install the case . The board is an ASUS PP4Pe and the diagram for the location of the ide led pins is vague. Are the ide pins the last in the first set of pins or the next two ?The ide pins appear to me to be the last ones on the first set of pins including those for power , etc. There appears to be a single bar of connectors from the case to this set of pins . As I said there is light at times from the hdd led when the Hitachi is used. The scsi controller has its own led connection.

I did not install the case . The board is an ASUS PP4Pe and the diagram for the location of the ide led pins is vague. Are the ide pins the last in the first set of pins or the next two ?The ide pins appear to me to be the last ones on the first set of pins including those for power , etc. There appears to be a single bar of connectors from the case to this set of pins . As I said there is light at times from the hdd led when the Hitachi  is used. The scsi controller has its own led connection.

If You have any CD/DVD drives attached to the motherboard, the blinking is most likely just MS' Auto Insert Notification feature, which checks the status of the CD/DVD drives to see if there are any discs inserted. Does the LED light up when CD drives are accessed?

Another possibility is that either the drive or the cable is damaged. IIRC pin/wire 39 is responsible for the LED activity, but I'm not sure. Have You tried another cable?

Cheers,

Jan

your motherboard should have a pinout in the manual for the LEDs, very simple, + and - ... The case should have a plug that goes into those pins, either a 3pin or 2 pin. Just goto the mobo manufacturer's page and read carefully. plug and play. If you're not sure which wire on the plug is + and - you can take the LED out of it's little holster and look at it. The LED has an anode + and a cathode. the Cathode is positive and inside the plastic of the LED, it is the little side, the negative is the bigger side. Literally inside the plastic piece you will see a larger and smaller wire. Also, but not always the anode (negative) has a longer wire coming from it.

On my mobo, I have the SCSI setup as the primary windows partition, and I just read the SCSI card manual for where the LED pinout is.

It sounds to me like you have IDE activity and not HDD activity LED pinout, or you might have your swap file on your IDE disk, or just setup IDE LED as an auxilary LED.

Jan how did you get LED activity out of your HPT370 chipset? Was that the same pinout as the IDE activity on the mobo? I have a KT333-R (same raid chip) abit board, and I think all IDE activity is tied to one LED, including the hpt370/372 chip?

Jan how did you get LED activity out of your HPT370 chipset? Was that the same pinout as the IDE activity on the mobo? I have a KT333-R (same raid chip) abit board, and I think all IDE activity is tied to one LED, including the hpt370/372 chip?

Hmm... I did say that I was using a card. I had (actually, it's still somewhere around here...) an ABit HotRod100 card, which had a header for the LED.

Cheers,

Jan