Rob94hawk

Difference Between Oem And Retail?

I was looking at some listed prices for the Hitachi HD and some were listed as OEM. What's the difference?

I also noticed that when I was looking at an Intel mobo the OEM was cheaper than the retail but the stats were the same. What's the story?

Thanx

This sounds like a FAQ candidate.

In short, manufacturers sell parts to companies like Dell and to companies like Best Buy.

Best Buy resells to customers, so the units should have a pretty box that says "Buy me!", instructions, and other stuff.

Companies like Dell don't want to have to sift through 10,000 boxes with 10,000 manuals, 10,000 CDS, 10,000 registration cards, etc. They just want the drive, and they neither want, not want to pay for the rest.

OEM (Original Equipment Manufacturer) means that the drives were sold as they would be to Dell.

I have a block of some sort of foam that was made to hold about 20 drives. Each drive is held about 1/2" apart and they are usually individually bagged.

OEM can mean many other things though. For example, it may mean that the unit has no warranty. If an ad says something like "HP OEM" or "Dell OEM", it probably means that the units were intented to be sold with HP or Dell systems, and the manufacturer expects HP or Dell respectively to provide support.

AKA: No warranty--you didn't buy an HP or a Dell, so you don't get support from them.

It can also mean that you get a longer than usual warranty. There was a thread about this not too long ago. Anyway, check the warranty information, always.

In some cases it can also mean that the drives are second-rate, that is, drives that were from batches "less likely to perform or last for the full warranty period", and that were sold in bulk for cheap to anyone willing to buy.

In general, try to stay with safe, honest, well tested vendors, like Hypermicro, ZipZoomFly, etc. for hard drives Someone was questioning NewEgg's drive packaging earlier, so I didn't include them to be safe) Even if you trust the vendor's honestly, it doesn't mean they know how to handle hard drives in transit.

Someone was questioning NewEgg's drive packaging earlier, so I didn't include them to be safe

Don' t mean to start a debate, but I've purchased from Newegg several times, including drives, and consider their packaging to be excellent. Not only that, but delivery time is fast and so are responses from their customer service reps on questions.

The nice thing is you don't have to take my word for it, read customer reviews on any of the drive models they stock.

Thanks...........

In the PC market, it can also mean a couple of other things.

Lets say you order a CPU, if it is retail, it usually includes an OEM reommended fan. Is that confusing or what?

OEM is Original Equipment Manufacturer. It is supposed to mean that what you are buying is built by the oem but this has somehow become distorted to mean several things like gettting the video card but not the games, drivers, cables, adapters, etc. with the card or getting the CPU but no fan.

And as pointed out, it can effect your warranty although the OEM warranty is really all I care about unless I buy something locally at a retail outlet. Then, I would expect local return\repair from who I purchased from.

Retail usually comes in a pretty marketing box like you would see in any retail store.