jwocky

Enough Juice!?!

I've decided on my upgrade hardware... can anyone recommend whether I need a 350 or a 400watt power supply? Hardware will be the following:

P4 2.6ghz (800mhz FSB)

Asus P4P800 motherboard

GeForce FX5900 Video card

1 gig DDR PC3200 RAM

1 serial ATA Hard Drive (Raptor)

1 ata hard drive

1 external hard drive

1 24x CDRW

1 dvd/cdrom player

I generally don't overclock any of my components.

Thanks as always.

I'd go for an Antec Truepower 380. I think you could use a 350, but with a power hungry vid card like that you might be better off with something beefier.

It depends on what other cards you'll have in your machine.

I think 350-380 is fine.

For comparison (in my 220W Shuttle):

i875 board

2.8GHz P4 @ 3.2GHz

1GB PC3500 RAM (2x512)

1 x 36GB Raptor

1 x 120GB WD

ATI 9800 Pro

Everything else is external (firewire)

So you'll add two optical drives to that and add 130W of potential power. (Note that the CPU & RAM are overclocked with raised voltages putting more strain on the PSU)

So stick with your 350. If you have reason to suspect the Power Supply later, replace it. Until that point, I would stick with what you have.

DogEared

8^)

You run all that with 220W?? I was always curious what happens if your power supply is "underpowered"?? Can you do damage to components? Does the system just not boot up?

The system in my sig has a 300W AOpen power supply, one of the silent ones. It used to have a KT3 Ultra mainboard with 1 GB RAM and 2 more 10k SCSI disks + SCSI controller.

IBM uses 230W power supplies in it's NetVista M50 series. Up to P4 3.2 GHz, up to 4 GB RAM, 3 IDE devices, onboard sound/LAN and onboard VGA or Radeon 9600. And you don't hear those machines. I think that 350W is more than enough. Buy quality, not quantity.

Hi jwocky, just to confirm Enermax PSU are decent quality, 350w will be ample for your system. AFAIK an underpowered PSU will most likely show up as instability and is very unlikely to damage anything.

Seb

I have always wanted to get a dc current clamp and start measuring what things are really using. I think for a general desktop system a quality 300W power supply is fine.

Be careful with your Dual-channel DDR selection..

to configure dual-channel you'll need to install 2 identical DDR DIMM pairs, to be on the safe side, only use DDR recommended by ASUS.

take a look at the ASUS web and get the manual for Asus P4P800 motherboard

P4P800manual

I have always wanted to get a dc current clamp and start measuring what things are really using. I think for a general desktop system a quality 300W power supply is fine.

According to my UPS the following config is using around 310W of power. Currently using an Antec TruPowa 420W PSU.

Dual athlonXP 1.47

Twin delta 7000rpm fans

Tekram U3D SCSI controller

1*x15 (18GB), 2*x15-36LP (18GB), 1*IBM 15k (18GB)

2*WD 1200ABs, 1*Maxtor 160GB 7200rpm

DVD-ROM drive

AIW Radeon 7500

combo FW/USB2 PCI card

FW800 PCI card

10/100 NIC

sound card

When both CPUs are under full load, the power requirement increases to ~346W

According to my UPS the following config is using around 310W of power. Currently using an Antec TruPowa 420W PSU.

Dual athlonXP 1.47

Twin delta 7000rpm fans

Tekram U3D SCSI controller

1*x15 (18GB), 2*x15-36LP (18GB), 1*IBM 15k (18GB)

2*WD 1200ABs, 1*Maxtor 160GB 7200rpm

DVD-ROM drive

AIW Radeon 7500

combo FW/USB2 PCI card

FW800 PCI card

10/100 NIC

sound card

When both CPUs are under full load, the power requirement increases to ~346W

You are forgetting the 21" or larger monitor, speakers, and probably other hardware in that list..... otherwise there is absolutely no way those components would use over 200W by themselves.

Oops, I forgot the Dell 2000FP that's also hooked up to the battery. Going by the power brick that uses 70W.

I can't tell the boot usage because the software only works once Windows is running (APC PowerShite). Perhaps they overstate load, in an effort to get people to buy larger UPSs. With everything running flatout, with FAH, and two external FW drives also hooked up, I can't get past 363 W.

Keep in mind everything minus a few hard drives used to run fine on an AOpen 300W PSU as well.