bsd

Sata On Laptop?

Hi,

Is it possible to get a PCMCIA to SATA adaptor to hookup, say, a 10,000 RPM 74GB Raptor, to my laptop.

Since my laptop stays on my desk most of the time, the idea would to just leave the Raptor plugged in and use it as a boot drive.

The few times I need to take laptop somewhere, I could simply boot off the internal drive.

Can this be done?

Thanks,

BSD

I knew I had seen one a couple months ago....

I found this on MySimon.

So Addonics is making one.

Using the eSATA as a boot drive depends on your laptop. Do you have the ability to boot from a PCCard device?

DogEared

8^)

Interesting idea. Tell us if it worked later.

Thanks for the link...

Who else makes PCMCIA SATA controllers? Are they all the same, or are some faster? Will they support TCQ of the new Raptor?

Also, how would I mount and power the actuall drive?

Thanks again,

David

Thanks for the link...

Who else makes PCMCIA SATA controllers? Are they all the same, or are some faster?  Will they support TCQ of the new Raptor?

Thanks again,

David

TCQ is not something that a controller has to support in order to use it. The 74GB Raptor has TCQ that is DRIVE LEVEL, not controller level.

Mount the drive in an external enclosure that has it's own power supply. I don't think you will find an external SATA HDD enclosure at this time.

If TCQ is not supported in the controller hardware the resulting CPU usage would negate any benefits of TCQ. If you want to reap performance benefits from TCQ you need a controller which supports it.

Free

If TCQ is not supported in the controller hardware the resulting CPU usage would negate any benefits of TCQ.  If you want to reap performance benefits from TCQ you need a controller which supports it.

Free

?

If TCQ is not supported in the controller hardware the resulting CPU usage would negate any benefits of TCQ.  If you want to reap performance benefits from TCQ you need a controller which supports it.

Free

I disagree.

Thanks for the link...

Sorry about that. I guess the Highpoint enclosure only had 15 seconds of fame. :)

I don't know if there are many other choices, but the Highpoint 1000 enclosure was responsible for a lot of hoopla a little while ago. The enclosure should come with a eSATA cable -- which I believe is a 6-pin Firewire cable.

You can also buy them in a "kit" which includes a PCI Slot cover (bracket) with the eSATA connectors. Handy if you want to hook up the drive to a PC.

Either way, it's pretty inexpensive.

DogEared

8^)

After a little (current) reading, Western Digital is using the older command queuing from the Parallel ATA spec. While, SATA specific command queuing will appear in SATA II (Native Command Queuing).

Sooooo....companies are choosing to implement command queuing now, even though the ability has been present for a couple of years.

I thought the current SATA spec referenced Tagged Command Queuing, but I could not find it.

In either case, it is a function of the drive's electronics and not the controller. The controller *does* have to allow pass-through of the command. Any SATA controller should support pass-through.

I'll apparently need to do some more reading to find out if the Raptors use SCSI-type command queuing, or a creation of their own (but compliant with the PATA spec). But for the most part command queuing is command queuing. :) Beyond that, the differences are in efficiency.

Would command queuing by any other name be just as "schweet?" :D

DogEared.

PCMCIA cards fall out so easily, I would never be comfortable using that to hook up a drive. Also I severely doubt your laptop will let you boot from ANY PCMCIA device other than maybe a network card.

Hello

I purchase a PCMCIA SATA from STARTECH with 2 external enclosure. about 45$ (60$CDN each) and it works great on an IBM T42 but not on a COMPAL CL56 (PROSYS56). I used a RAPTOR 35GIG and a SATA WD 80GIG. I didn't do to many benchmark becaue I'm the one with the COMPAL 56 BIOS 1.2 (bettee video card ATI9700 but shitty BIOS options) I'M going to try to order a different SAT card and try again. CARDBUS SATA is 3 time faster then USB2 or IEEE1394.

I,ll keap you inform. IT' a great idea to use CARDBUS SATA instead of USB2

à la prochaine

Alain