Sign in to follow this  
uart

What Failure Mode Is "cl-clunk Cl-clunka Cl-clunk"

Hi, This is a failure mode that I've experienced a few times over the years and I notice that it's usually both sudden and catastrophic. So exactly what is going on when you power up a hard drive (that has previously worked ok) and suddenly hear that terrible "Cla-Clunk Cla-Clunka Cla-Clunk Cla-Clunk" and then the drive is not recognized by bios ?

BTW, it just happened to me today on an old 3.2GB Quantum LCTxxx drive that was in an old system I had in storage. A few months ago I used it and it worked ok but today when I tried to start it up it was dead.

Drive cannot find servo and/or calibration tracks, hence the banging as it keeps trying. That's probably the most common reason. Damaged heads can cause this, for example, say by ESD or mishandling.

if your drive has ever had a head crash onto the platter, it will do that as well.

Happened to my old hard drive....man...that was bad.

So if this happened to a drive that was sitting in storage (properly mounted in a computer) that had not been mishandled then what would the likely cause be? Something in the electronics suddenly blow or could the platters really become unreadable that quickly ?

my guess would be shock...

do you hear the drive spin up and then go clunk, or does it not spin up at all? If it's not spinning, maybe a good whack will get it going again.

Mishandling damage does not always show up immediately. If the damage is slight, it can still generate debris inside the drive. It can work fine for a long time, then a small bit of debris can get wedged under the heads and "presto," head damage. The same is true with ESD damage; it's not always readily apparent.

And if it's debris, the only way to get it out is to run it through a rinse and spin in the washing machine.

Older Hitachi disks for laptops (1-4Gb) used to do exactly this, when used in a laptop-model that became very hot after some use.

It was always clunk-clu clunk. then after some weeks of this the disk could not be found anymore by bios.

The nice thing was that Hitachi didn't concider the disk to be malfunctioning when only making the clunk, clunk. After I while I learned that the best thing was to smash the disk on my desk to end the disks misery. This way we didn't get the clunk, clunks back from them.

We used these same disks for all the different models. But usually only the very hot model generated the clunk, clunk disks. My guess is that the heat expanded something inside the disk, which made the head try to read in wrong places...?

From the sound file I listen to, the arm is going to the crash-stop...

Meaning the servo-code got lost and arm where the heads are mounted went to the end of the allowed movment...

It could be due to heat... in any case, the arm speed is not controlled resulting in the slamming of the arm against the crash-stop.

MEJV